Anybody using gear 30+ years old that hasn't been restored?

sberger

Hard Core Geezer
Subscriber
Ok this thread isn't necessarily for debate or argument, and certainly no nastiness. We know that the prevailing(and mostly right) opinion is that old gear should be restored. That said, I know that some of us haven't heeded the call for various reasons and I'm one of them. So I'd like to know what you're using, and why it hasn't been restored. Not talking about mods, just regular restoration where the gear is brought back to it's original specs. I"ll go first. I'm using KLH Model Six speakers all original. Will be redoping this week when the stuff comes in, and do plan to get them recapped, but they sound so good right now I just haven't been in a hurry.

Whose next?

The Kenny amp out in the garage dates from the 80s, and is not at all serviced. The preamp needed a full rebuild to even turn on though. It was a trash pick, and since it basically worked as found I deemed it suitable for the garage.

The Pioneer SX-990 clone it displaced was running un serviced except for a replacement volume control. The Pioneer worked, but the phono stage was very noisy. It was formerly the garage stereo, and not repaired for the same reasons the current one is untouched.

I have an un-touched Onkyo TX4500 that is also virginal. It seems to work fine, but I haven't had it hooked up in a while. I got other / better / different stuff so I never had cause to work on it.

Yamaha NS10m speakers & HP-3 headphones. Speakers still sound good so I'm reluctant to do anything to them for now. Headphones are crystal clear sounding, the cushions have begun to show their age, but that's all. As onwardjames knows, Yamaha equipment can be tough.

Mark Gosdin

Have a Sansui 2000x I traded for some kabuki speakers about a year ago. Did not expect much as it has no case (completely exposed on top/sides), a cracked faceplate, and mismatched knobs. Guy I traded for had it for a while but not since new but said he never repaired or replaced anything while he had it. Somehow, every bulb works and it sounds fantastic. I haven't touched it because just to find a case and faceplate will cost more than I think its worth. Plus I'm sure as soon as I get a tech to look at the guts he'll find a million things wrong with it that should be fixed, repaired or replaced. Just dont feel its worth the hassle. In then end, I'm happy as hell that it works as it does. When it hiccups, I'll probably donate it to someone looking for a parts unit - although, not many pretty parts left :sigh:

Mostly all - Yamaha, Harman Kardon, Kenwood receivers...lots of speakers.

Only my HK 330B's have really hit the point where I hear a problem. And I think my B&O 4000 is suspect too. Those are all out of regular rotation anyway...

I check DC offset on the other amps periodically...

Both the bronze and black pairs of Quads are un-restored. The black pair needs treble-panel work, the bronze pair was babied/stored and seems fine.

My Luxman C1000 preamp is probably a good candidate. Wish there was a RESTORED/UNRESTORED button so I could compare in advance.

Yamaha CA-810 and CR-420. Both made around 75-76 IIRC so getting close to 40 years. The CR-420 has no flaws whatsoever. If the caps are dried up, I can't tell because it sounds good. The CA-810 has multiple but minor issues. I've patched it up enough to make it very usable but I do plan to have it fully gone over when funds allow.

50+ year old fisher x-100 integrated, 100r tuner and Mpx 200 FM stereo adapter....

Was still inline in the original owners house when I bought it like 3 weeks ago...
I've been using it daily with no trouble since then..

However... I DO know that I'm "pushing the envelope" with this and have just start recapping the power supplies for safety's sake

I've been using a little Sansui 2000 (circa 1969) in my garage system for 5 or 6 years, as found. There are a couple of bulbs out in the tuner display but otherwise it works great.

And I have an original Marantz 1060 (my brother bought it new in '71) but it's finally ready for some service.

Last edited:
My Yamaha CR-2040 has had a couple bulbs changed but nothing else.

Once in a while the power button has trouble disengaging when you go to turn it off.

If it works, sounds fine, measures OK (DC offset and idling current after adjustments if necessary) and doesn't have serious hum issues (hum you can hear with your ear to the speaker does not qualify, hum audible from 1 m or more does), I don't touch it. If it has issues, I get the unit repaired, but it's usually one or two components that need replacing. I had only one amp restored, mainly because only one really needed it. That's in some 50 amps and receivers I have that are 30+ years old.

Even my Grunding SV 50 amp and RT 40 tuner are largely original, apart from fuses and 2 or 3 caps in each. The amp is now 50 years old, the tuner turns 50 next year.

Yamaha CA-810.

Needed new bulbs. Works great, tho that relay is taking longer and longer to click.

Mine takes like 10 seconds. Is that normal? I read somewhere that 10 seconds is in the high end of the range but that just seems like a really long time to me.

None of my gear has been restored. TT, pre-amp, power amp all from early 80s. Sounds awesome. I suppose I could get it recapped at some point.

Back
Top Bottom