Melody AN845 Tube Amp in the House

RDSChicago

This amp weights 95 pounds but is the coolest, best sounding amp I have ever heard. Had to have some young guy come over this evening and remove it from its box. If I tried I would probably be having lumbar spinal disc surgery tomorrow.

845 output tubes, SET, putting out only 25wpc but it is driving my AR-11 all balls out with the volume knob turned to only 10 o'clock!

Listening to some Getz/Gilberto and my God, that breathy sax from Stan the "SOUND" gives me shivers up and down my spine. If anyone can recommend better saxophone playing, please educate me.

I am in audio nirvana right now and don't want to go to bed tonight. Gotta listen.

Please recommend your favorite tunes made to match this dynamite tube setup. PLEASE!!!!

Last edited:
If anyone can recommend better saxophone playing, please educate me.

I am in audio nirvana right now and don't want to go to bed tonight. Gotta listen.

Please recommend your favorite tunes made to match this dynamite tube setup. PLEASE!!!!

Love Stan Getz. One of my favorite sax albums is Art Pepper and George Cables "Tete-A-Tete". Remarkable and intimate.

I'm a big Paul Desmond fan. Try the Paul Desmond Quartet Live album from the early 70's. Very tasty.

I'm a big fan of Melody amps. I love the design as well as the sound. I'm not afraid to say I'm jealous.

cubdog

Congrats! That's a hell of an Amp! Not much play around these boards, but the Melody amps as well as the Consonance Amps are excellent products.! If you'd like...look for " B-tribe 5"CD or Vinyl and also a CD By a band called "Yello" the CD is "Touch". Also for a very nice Jazz Trio look for "Gentle Blues" By a group called "Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio".

it's hard to beat Stan on Sax with what he does....if you want to hear Stan bop out, rather than west coast or Bosanova Jazz...look for his last live performance before he died...or look for his earlier stuff with Dizzy.

I demo'ed a pair of Melody Monoblocks that were beautiful sounding as well as beautiful looking. Great sounding amps!!

Good for you! 845 SET is hard to beat. I miss mine very much. I hope someday I can afford another good 845 SET amp. If your like me don't ever let go of it. You'll regret it. Enjoy!:thmbsp:

Pics, please.

Last edited:
Excellent amp, when i was shopping it was between your amp and the LM 518IA, it really came down to liking the owner of Venice Audio the reason i choose the LM, not to say that the owner of Angle City Audio was not a gentleman.

Anyway here are some albums that shine with the mighty 845 tube.
1.Illinois Jacquet; Birthday Party.
2. Robert Wolf; velvet night
3. Grover Washington Jr.; Mister Magic.
4. Donald Fagen; Morph The Cat
5. Eric Clapton; clapton chronicles.

Well to be honest anything seems to shine with these amps. Enjoy!!!

I am also a big 845 fan. I have had Cayin 9084D monoblocks for 12 years and love them. I changed 6SN7 and 6SL7 to NOS RCAs and use Shuguang 845C. It becomes my main system ever since. I have taken off the protective cages so that those two big 845s will give a spectacular light show!

Stan Getz's Jazz Samba is also one of my favourites.

Nice...you decided to go with the silver and wood rather than the Black! How are you going to display your gear? What is your budget for audio stands? And what is the other components in your system? pic of the entire system?

Beautiful!!! As much as I love my 2A3 SET, I really would like to try a higher powered SET such as the 845 tube.

That's a beauty piece of gear you have there! Congrats! Now get some pictures taken of your setup with the new amp.

I would like to make a recommendation, a TWL power cord, with the LM 518ia the cord added even more authority and precise imaging which the LM already had in spades, the cord just took it up a notch. No need now just something to think about in the future.

The 845 is a wonderful tube for all types of music and has a canny way of placing the performance in your room, continue to enjoy.:yes:

Here's the link to the power cords. Triodewirelabs.com

Great products...I use the Power cords and speaker wires.

Back
Top Bottom