Rippin Blues Guitarist

Lots of killer guitarists out there, for my money Ronnie Earl has the best tone and style of any living blues guitarist.

I'll second that. As good as some guys are from a technical standpoint sometimes their tone just kills me. Roy Buchanan is a prime example. I just can't stand how his guitar sounds. Derrick Trucks is another one and I love the ABB. Too bad because I admire both for their talent. But Earl's tone is beautiful. Big and powerful yet warm and fluid too. Love the guy.

cubdog

Magic Sam
West Side Soul
Delmark, 1967

Magic Sam
Black Magic
Delmark, 1968

The more I think about it, the more I think this might be the perfect answer for those who love stuff like SRV. Magic Sam was a giant, IMO.

I'm also going to throw this one out there. I'm not usually big on tribute albums, but the Hound Dog Taylor one is solid. Some of the previous posts have brought up guys who are on it. It's worth the purchase for the Govt Mule song alone.
Not all tracks are rippin', but many are. Oh, and skip the reviewers bit about the Thorogood track. It's not a stand out, but it's not as bad as he says. Calling it "thuggish" is a bit much, IMO.

http://www.allmusic.com/album/hound-dog-taylor-a-tribute-mw0000033532

I'm an avid fan of Stevie Ray Vaughan (God rest his soul), but have completely exhausted his library over the years. Anyone know of any blues guitarists (new or old stuff) that I should explore that would likely give me similar satisfaction in music style? I know that there is no replacement for SRV (in my book, arguably the best blues guitarist that ever lived), but I'd sure like to find some new artists for listening in 2015. Also a huge fan of Jimi Hendrix...

Why do the good ones always die so young!?! Heaven must be rockin!

Hi mate,
I gotcha..
We have the same tastes...you will love these
As mentioned Roy B , Gary Moore , Gary Clark Junior, Mato Nanji
Blackberry Smoke ( southern rock )
Tedeschi Trucks Band )
The Vargas Blues Band
PM if you like these and want some more

How bout some Samantha Fish? Best viewed live, great stage presence.
The CD reviews on Amazon mention bad mastering, so check out YouTube, bunches there if you like her.

Yep.......... Her LPs sound better than her CDs. My nephew, Phil Breen, is her keyboard player. We see them about twice a year when they are in or around the Philadelphia area. Wife tells me they are in Europe (primarily the UK this trip) for about a month. They spend about 50% of their tour-time in EU countries.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom