Technics sl-1500 price question

joshsimpson7

I found one in pristine condition, recently serviced with no cart for $250. I'm somewhat knowledgeable about tables, but is this a decent price or could I do better? Is there a new equivalent and how much? Thanks.

Update. One friend recommended this as a new alternative... Audio-Technica AT-LP1240-USB

Last edited:
The SL1500 is a cool table, and that's not a bad price if the condition is good. The Audio Technica table is also very good. But I think this post would be more appropriate in the Dollars and Sense forum on this site. I'm already courting a handslap talking money with you here.

The SL1500 is a cool table, and that's not a bad price if the condition is good. The Audio Technica table is also very good. But I think this post would be more appropriate in the Dollars and Sense forum on this site. I'm already courting a handslap talking money with you here.

Depends on the condition. But it's very good it it's top-notch. However, this really ought to be moved to dollars and sense.

Sorry, my bad. As a newcomer here, I didn't look closely enough at the forum.

No worries. If you get the table, post a pic of your new setup. Also, if you need help getting started, there's lots of knowledgeable folk eager to help.

No worries. If you get the table, post a pic of your new setup. Also, if you need help getting started, there's lots of knowledgeable folk eager to help.

I've used an sl-qd33 for years so I'm not a total newb, but am looking for some higher end gear that the one I have and a modern Sony 7.1 ht receiver.

no price is way to high. I sold a near mint one for around 150 shipped. For that kind of money you could get a 1800 or 1700MKII if you take your time.

no price is way to high. I sold a near mint one for around 150 shipped. For that kind of money you could get a 1800 or 1700MKII if you take your time.
Thanks for the help. I'm in no hurry. I have some Christmas money and will get birthday money soon. I'll be patient and search for the 1700 and 1800 as well.

I agree, that price is way to high. I picked up a working 1510 that just needed some cleaning and a new set of RC cables for less then 50 bucks.

I agree with the others that the price seems a bit high. I would definitely want to examine it very carefully in person AND AUDITION IT before agreeing to pay that much. If seller says no, forget it.

At the rate things are going $250 for a pristine SL-1500 with no cartridge will be a fair price. Some may differ but to get equal performance to the SL-1500 in a new current turntable be prepared to spend close to $1000. The move from the SL-QD33 to the SL-1500 may be a lateral move, as for the Sony 7.1 HT receiver many but not all HT receivers the phono section if it has one is an afterthought at best. I'd be considering a better vintage 2ch analog receiver or intergrated amp to go with the turntable. Bottom line to make a substantial step up from where you are in sound quality with new components be prepared to spend at least a couple thousand $.

At the rate things are going $250 for a pristine SL-1500 with no cartridge will be a fair price. Some may differ but to get equal performance to the SL-1500 in a new current turntable be prepared to spend close to $1000. The move from the SL-QD33 to the SL-1500 may be a lateral move, as for the Sony 7.1 HT receiver many but not all HT receivers the phono section if it has one is an afterthought at best. I'd be considering a better vintage 2ch analog receiver or intergrated amp to go with the turntable. Bottom line to make a substantial step up from where you are in sound quality with new components be prepared to spend at least a couple thousand $.
I recently got a JVC rs-7 receiver. It's not terribly high end, but I think it does pretty well. Better than the modern receiver I used in the past.

Seems like the asking prices I have seen over the last year or so on CL for the more popular 1200 and 1200mk series tables is about $350+/- in my area. I would think $150-$200, possibly up to $250 depending on the cart and stylus for a SL-1500 in excellent shape would not be to much to pay, if in great condition, and complete.

Sounds high, but if pristine and holding speed, it is not out of the question. In my experience the 1500s have the most failed IC problems. This perplexed me over the years, as I have a perfect 1510 which I have owned from new (1975) and still works perfectly. My hypothesis is that the 1500s were likely to have run all night through the morning at wild 70s parties, not having auto shut off. But it is only a hypothesis.

The prices on the technics tables have been inching upward steadily the last couple years. I bought my 1610mkII for a decent amount less than I've seen them go for recently. Demand is pushing us up the curve.

I recently paid less than that for a fully mint SL-1300MkII with a working cue lever on the tonearm and a spotless dust cover (I mean when unpacked, there was not even dust on it).

The SL-1500 (first generation, not MkII) is a bare bones manual TT, with (IMHO) an inadequate plinth that rings a lot and a medium/high mass tonearm that isn't happy with many nice carts. It also isn't Quartz controlled but FG Servo and it does get a lot affected by temperature, humidity and time so you need to check the pitch adjustment frequently (even while listening if you start it cold).

It's not a bad TT by absolute standard (there are pretty many more that are worse and better) but it does share the looks of the "Technics DD TT" that inflates the price.

The SL-1301 (or 1401) that are between MkI and MkII versions are suspended, have a better tonearm, are quartz controlled and lack the "Technics angled platter with strobe dots" that was copied in many forms, hence goes a lot cheaper usually. And it's pretty rare compared to the SL-1500.

Mind you, I'm not a Technics hater; rather a lover.

If you like to get a Technics TT, a nice thing would be the SL-1800MkII. It has the same tonearm with the SL-1200MkII but looks different - perhaps nicer.

Is it a first generation or MKII? If it is a MKII, make sure the arm lift works. This is a common failure.

I have a MKII and the lift doesn't work. Other than that, it's a great turntable, earning a place next to my SP-15 and SP-25. It is a little rough cosmetically. I bought it at GW for $20.00. I haven't seen a turntable at a thrift since then.

@SaSi I half agree, though the SL-1500 imo is not as bad as you picture it. So feel I have to say something in defense of it. :)

I find the plint is not that inadequate and also the arm is well engineered and can perform well as long as you match it with the right cartridge for it.

It is true the pitch drifts with temperature, however you will be hard pressed to hear drifting it when listening to a single song or even album, because the short term speed stability (wow and flutter) is excellent just as the quartz locked equivalents.

The advantage it has above the more complicated mk2's is that the electronics and mechanics are kept as simple as possible while maintaining the essential Technics DD qualities.

Actually I rate it a lot above the grey average of turntables :), if you consider the reliability and build quality, I tend leaving out the sonic part which I find a lot harder to discuss in terms of quality.

That a $250 price tag is high and a SL-1300mk2 is more valuable though, I fully acknowledge. On the other hand lots of people seem to disagree and are scared off by this mk2's series armlift problem. To me that has never been an issue, I have repaired many of them with succes. ;)

Is it a first generation or MKII? If it is a MKII, make sure the arm lift works. This is a common failure.

I have a MKII and the lift doesn't work. Other than that, it's a great turntable, earning a place next to my SP-15 and SP-25. It is a little rough cosmetically. I bought it at GW for $20.00. I haven't seen a turntable at a thrift since then.

Why not just repair it? :)

By the way, though they are all excellent I rate this series higher than the SL-16/17/1800mk2 series. Mass, build quality of things in general is just a notch above, and I prefer the looks.

On topic: SL-1500, nice turntable! $250? No. $50? Yes! $100-$150? Maybe, depends on the condition.

Last edited:
I recently paid less than that for a fully mint SL-1300MkII with a working cue lever on the tonearm and a spotless dust cover (I mean when unpacked, there was not even dust on it).

The SL-1500 (first generation, not MkII) is a bare bones manual TT, with (IMHO) an inadequate plinth that rings a lot and a medium/high mass tonearm that isn't happy with many nice carts. It also isn't Quartz controlled but FG Servo and it does get a lot affected by temperature, humidity and time so you need to check the pitch adjustment frequently (even while listening if you start it cold).

It's not a bad TT by absolute standard (there are pretty many more that are worse and better) but it does share the looks of the "Technics DD TT" that inflates the price.

The SL-1301 (or 1401) that are between MkI and MkII versions are suspended, have a better tonearm, are quartz controlled and lack the "Technics angled platter with strobe dots" that was copied in many forms, hence goes a lot cheaper usually. And it's pretty rare compared to the SL-1500.

Mind you, I'm not a Technics hater; rather a lover.

If you like to get a Technics TT, a nice thing would be the SL-1800MkII. It has the same tonearm with the SL-1200MkII but looks different - perhaps nicer.

There is nothing wrong with the SL 1500 original model. There are no speed issues if in pristine condition as stated. The plinth is a nice heavy metal and does not "ring" any more than that of the other solid plinth Technics. The tone arm is probably superior to the 1600-1800 (original) and no worse than the SL 1200 Mk2 tone arm used on the 1600-1800 MK2s. The 1300-1500 MK2s? Just stay away from them. The 1301-1501, possible the best Technics consumer TTs.

Here is how bad the speed control is on the 1300-1500 series:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtO4YurFgqU

Back
Top Bottom