Rega Elex-R owners?

writethis

Right after I read the epic Brio-R thread recently, a series of seemingly unrelated events caused one of the new Elex-R amps to show up in my listening space.

I've never heard a Brio-R, but as I'm listening to its big brother (sister?) breaking in, I'm seriously intrigued. I'm only into the second day of burning this thing in, and it's definitely a bit strident in my system. But there's lots and lots of detail, lots of frequency extension at both extremes, and more and more depth emerging. I'm just hoping the overall sound manages to settle down into a more relaxed overall presentation.

Coming from an unrestored but healthy Mc C-28 and a TAD-60 running EL34s, it's probably no surprise that the new Rega sounds a bit tight and edgy in comparison.

Having heard a few different six-figure hifi rigs within the past couple of months, I will say that this $1,800 british integrated takes my system's sound a couple of steps closer to my favorite of the high-dollar rigs I've been fortunate enough to audition.

So here's hoping the ELEX-R continues to mellow. I'm running it 24/7, and it'll stay powered on all the time, assuming I end up keeping it.

Anyone else have experience with this thing? Not much on AK talking about it. :scratch2:

Last edited:
I auditioned the Elex-R versus the Naim 5si and ultimately chose the Naim mainly for the reasons you state but thought it was quite good. I don't know if it settles out but if it does, it might be everything you are hoping for in an amplifier. It comes out of the gate strongly already.

I was coming out of a Musical FidelityM6i, which I thought could be a little forward at times and the Elex-R reminded me a bit of the MF. Very solid bass response but a little, just a little, zingy on the high end.

Interested to see how it settles in. :thmbsp:

I auditioned the Elex-R versus the Naim 5si and ultimately chose the Naim mainly for the reasons you state but thought it was quite good. I don't know if it settles out but if it does, it might be everything you are hoping for in an amplifier. It comes out of the gate strongly already.

I was coming out of a Musical FidelityM6i, which I thought could be a little forward at times and the Elex-R reminded me a bit of the MF. Very solid bass response but a little, just a little, zingy on the high end.

Interested to see how it settles in. :thmbsp:

Zingy is a good word.

Getting better every time I listen. Changing slowly, but all changes are moving it in the desired direction. Soundstage and depth are getting really good. Having this much detail but not with a bright/clinical presentation, and without the hassles of tubes, would be a marvelous thing indeed. The Rega isn't clinical, but still just a bit too forward. Been running for two and a half days now, give or take.

The other issue here is synergy. My system was SO dialed in, down to cables, tube choices and speaker placement. I'm having to remind myself that the process is (or should be) fun. The Elex-R seems worth the effort. I've never put big money into cables, mostly had settled on entry-level Morrows. I still love the Morrows and would recommend them to anyone, but changing the CD player interconnects to slightly less open-sounding Audioquests (also entry level) is giving me a kinder, gentler sound which my tube-loving ears appreciate. The cables on my turntable are captive, and not anything special. May be time to take a look at replacing those as well.

Yes, it is a process...

Last edited:
I've never put big money into cables, mostly had settled on entry-level Morrows. I still love the Morrows and would recommend them to anyone

I really like Morrows too. But I've switched my main two systems speaker cables over to Clear Day cables and a couple of his interconnects and while they share some similarities with Morrows in both construction and sound, I find them slightly less forward, but very clear and balanced. Very musical. Stopped my cable searching.

I used a pair of his shotgun speaker cables with my last Brio-R and really enjoyed them. Might take a look.

I've been interested in the Elex-R and wondered if it was just a bigger better Brio-R. I'll continue to follow your thread with interest.

- Woody

thanks for the heads-up ictwoody, had never heard of Clear Day. When I saw that they were silver, my mind went to the same place most probably do - arghhh, don't need to add more brightness or edge to my system! But obviously he explains that his cables aren't the typical "silver sound."

These are now on my short list of stuff to try. But there's a actually a new (to me) turntable/cart on the horizon, and I'm waiting on power tubes for my TAD-60, as I ran the current Mullard reissues into the ground.

Besides more power and what all reviewers say is better depth and soundstage vs. the Brio-R, the Elex-R offers preamp outs. I've been using them for my powered sub, but confirmed with Rega's US distributor that it's 100% safe to use the Elex as a preamp only and run it with no speakers hooked up. That may prove to be the ticket for me - the speed and detail of the Rega phono stage/pre with the romantic liquid sound of EL34's backed with nice big transformers.

But again, all this may change in a couple of weeks with the addition of a better turntable and cart.

I'll update here as the story unfolds, but it's kind of happening in slow motion...

Last edited:
thanks for the heads-up ictwoody, had never heard of Clear Day. When I saw that they were silver, my mind went to the same place most probably do - arghhh, don't need to add more brightness or edge to my system! But obviously he explains that his cables aren't the typical "silver sound."

These are now on my short list of stuff to try.

He's an awesome dude. Call him up and chat with him... He can talk your ear off. Really passionate about audio.

Get on his list and when he has a set he'll send them out to you to try. No risk at all that way. He's really good to work with. Takes any worry out of it.

- Woody

elex-r / brio-r

hi folks,
I have since 3 weeks the rega elex-r as an upgrade for the brio-r... the elex sounds very similar to the brio, it's like a brio with balls :)
regards from the heart of europe :)

Last edited:
hi folks,
I have since 3 weeks the rega elex-r as an upgrade for the brio-r... the elex sounds very similar to the brio, it's like a brio with balls :)
regards from the heart of europe :)

Thanks for your comment. I'm considering purchasing the elex-r. You say it sounds very similar to the brio which I've heard and really liked. It cost about $900 more than the Brio. Could you elaborate on the extra "balls" it brings to the table and whether that warrants the price increase? Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
hi cobb, if you can afford $900 more than for the brio, you should buy the elex. you've heard the the brio, isn't it? now, the elex is just a little bit more of everything, that made the brio-r a very "special" amp... the brio is a very very lovely amp indeed, but sometimes I had the feeling with the brio something is missing... I cannot say what it was... I'm not an expert, I only trust my (maybe wooden) ears :) the brio is an energietic teen, the elex is the grown-up brio...
if possible, you should try both amps.

Last edited:
As a big fan of the Rega Brio 2000 and Brio-R, I had to try this "ballsier" or "grown up" version of it. I just purchased a used Elex-R on Audiogon. I'll post my impressions when I get it. In the meantime, let's revive this thread and see if there are any new impressions.

Replaced my NAD 165/275BEE separates with Elex-R to power my Ref 3a De Capo BE, Awesome sounding amp.. Big soundstage, airy, detailed bass and non fatiguing to listen to compared to NAD

Replaced my NAD 165/275BEE separates with Elex-R to power my Ref 3a De Capo BE, Awesome sounding amp.. Big soundstage, airy, detailed bass and non fatiguing to listen to compared to NAD

Totally agree. Still loving mine like crazy. I could easily see this being the last amp needed for many audiophiles.

I just picked up a slightly used Elex-R, I have/had the Brio-R and loved the sound. My listening room was slightly bigger than the Brio-R could fill. I no longer have issue. It really does have a lot of the qualities that I have come to love about the Brio and as most point out with more authority.

I have had only spun a few vinyl, and all I can say is hurry up weekend!

I just picked up a slightly used Elex-R, I have/had the Brio-R and loved the sound. My listening room was slightly bigger than the Brio-R could fill. I no longer have issue. It really does have a lot of the qualities that I have come to love about the Brio and as most point out with more authority.

I have had only spun a few vinyl, and all I can say is hurry up weekend!

Well done!

I have an Rega Elex-R connected to Dynaudio X16 and first impression (after only hours of running) of the amp it's a bit underpowered. The speakers looks like they can take at least double the abuse of what Rega Elex-R can deliver. It can fill a medium size room with decent volume but do not expect any party level.

Also the combination is very unforgiving with the poor quality digital sources through an Audioquest Dragonfly DAC and looks to me quite bright. Hope it will improve in time since my ears reacts better to a bit warmer sound.

I have an Rega Elex-R connected to Dynaudio X16 and first impression (after only hours of running) of the amp it's a bit underpowered. The speakers looks like they can take at least double the abuse of what Rega Elex-R can deliver. It can fill a medium size room with decent volume but do not expect any party level.
At my opinion, based on use of Dynaudio X12 with Naim XS as well as with Brio-R, this AC suit better with something like Densen or Cary Audio, but for Rega Elex-R I'd prefer or Rega's AC or Kudos or equal.
I listen to my Exel-R in a couple of Kudos C2 + sub MJ Ref.100 MKII and this combination gives me a great sound....

As a big fan of the Rega Brio 2000 and Brio-R, I had to try this "ballsier" or "grown up" version of it. I just purchased a used Elex-R on Audiogon. I'll post my impressions when I get it. In the meantime, let's revive this thread and see if there are any new impressions.
That is one heck of a delayed transport, did you end up using the Elex-R?

Back
Top Bottom