P2201 : thinking PS Recap

dondoucette

Too Many Projects
P2201 : thinking PS Recap Some Help/Info needed.

So I was thinking of picking up 4 22,000uf 100v capacitors to recap my two P2201's
At this very moment I can't open either one to measure the physical dimensions of the originals. I don't think mistakenly buying a replacement capacitor that is physically bigger than the originals is likely however I don't want to make that mistake.

Also I was thinking if I find 27,000uf that will more closely match the dimensions of the originals I might opt for the slightly larger capacitor.

So it might be a stretch but has anyone here done a recap and can share the measurements of the OE capacitors.

Thanks in advance.
Don

Ahem... Hey mister, could you spare a pc5002m?

Last edited:
Well I opened one of my amplifiers up.
Physical size of those capacitors is 2.5" diameter by 4.5" tall

Should be able to find a suitable replacement to fit in that space.

Yeah the newest addition to the collection looks like it had a rough life and probably seen more than one drink spilled on it.

0011A05E-D0FC-49A4-9E8E-50758DD89673_zpsynlxtgi9.jpg

D57E92F7-31F0-425F-A51F-C13FE597306F_zpszg60c4wn.jpg

This is a case where measurements make sense, unless you're made of money. There's an excellent chance that there's nothing wrong with those caps. The Epcos "12,000" hour part is also a 2000 hour part by the standard tests everybody normally uses. Or, to put it another way, all caps that don't have some initial manufacturing defect will go way more than 12,000 hours when derated. The odds of other caps being "tired" are probably higher than the PS.

Caps are ordered.
Pics of swap out when they arrive.
Then I will go through the amps and make a list of all the other capacitors needed.

Also I'm working on a project with a buddy of mine to improve the appearance of the old Yammies. Stay tuned.

Gave one of my P2201's some TLC today.

So while I was rooting around inside I saw this...

I don't recall seeing anything like this except around a flyback transformer in old CRT TV's. What the heck?

Left channel was 17mv and right was 19mv, both adjusted to 10mv and done.
Hooked it back up and it sounds a bit better but I still have a little hum on the left channel.
Next up are all the other electrolytics in the amp then I'll move on to the rest of the capacitors.

But first I need to track down the source of this hum...

So just for interests sake I tested the old caps on my Sencore LC77 and the were not in good shape. ESR was 9ish ohms on one and over 6 on the other, dielectric absorbtion and leakage current were also bad, it was time.

don't recall seeing anything like this except around a flyback transformer in old CRT TV's. What the heck?

Most likely tar and nicotine with a side of dust.

Ever track down the source of hum? I have a P2200 that has had a full recap as well with no solution to the hum. I checked the solder joints too.

My hum was resolved by replacing the balance of the electrolytics. Fantastically quiet amps when working well. If you short the inputs and turn the volume all the way down does your amp still hum, does it only hum when you turn up the volume.

Back
Top Bottom