Bowers & Wilkins 685 S2

AS prefers Skylan last I read. If you can find that quote I'll buy the SA's. I want them to be at their best.

Yup, I was already looking. Although I don't know if it's A.S.'s current opinion (or if Jeff is correct in saying A.S. prefers them). As for the "wood" comment maybe Jeff was referring to MDF?

http://www.tonepublications.com/review/the-harbeth-compact-7es-3/

I like the part in the article about how the piano sounds on them. A very telling test IMO.

How they reproduced piano chords was the final clincher that confirmed which one of my best stand mount speakers would take top billing. Individually, they sounded great but in an A/B test one sounded downright real. My wife, who can actually play the piano, confirmed this.

Enjoy those Harbeth's.

Last edited:
I have also read over on the Harbeth site that Alan also used some plant stands from Ikea to test the C7's and 30.1's in the past. Kind of Alan's stance on any amp, any stand should work just fine for his speakers.

Well...in my home office, I'm embarrassed to report, the B&W 685s2's have totally outclassed the KEF LS50's and Dentons. I am not finished yet but the results are fairly strong. I'm afraid this means that I will have to turn in my audiophile ID card. Shit, this is almost as bad as buying and actually liking Monitor Audio speakers. Perhaps I had a stroke and am unaware...:dunno:

:smoke:

What sudden change of mind? Read the prior posts.

Sorry, thought I read the 682s were boxed up and waiting their new owner (at least that's where I remember things were) then the next thing I read was the 682s were staying and the rest are moving out.

That's what I get for not following along... :D

Sorry, thought I read the 682s were boxed up and waiting their new owner (at least that's where I remember things were) then the next thing I read was the 682s were staying and the rest are moving out.

That's what I get for not following along... :D

They were boxed up at one point but I decided to keep listening.

In what way? I wonder what the Spendor D7 sounds like.

The A6R is a great speaker so let me say that up front. To my ears the new midbass driver is so excellent and resolving that it leaves the tweeter sounding a bit gray and grainy. Just not as smooth as I would expect it to be. I actually prefer the tweeter in S3/5R2.

The D7 is supposed to be pretty incredible.

Back
Top Bottom