Sansui AU-9500 vs. Sansui Seven

So my non-working AU-9500 is now working! What may not have been working is my head. I think that, in the end, it may have been a simple tape switch setting that caused the problem. Thanks to all who offered advice above. I am an occasional idiot.

Now on to more important matters. In the last hour, I have become a religious man. I am a devotee of the religion of AU-9500. Can I just say that I have had my mind thoroughly blown?! The 9500 is massively powerful, and in complete control of its output. It is completely present, equally bold, delicate, lush and detailed. The bass is big and present and "live", the mids are sweet, the highs are amazing. Maybe this amp is not perfect, but it's pretty damn close, at least in my setup.

I think it's possibly a perfect match for the Tannoy Gold 12"s, so speaker synergy is way good here. I will post further impressions later. But for now, it is a huge improvement over the venerable model Seven, and lays my pretty yet uninspired fully recapped Marantz 2270 to absolute waste. I was liking the Seven over the 2270 before the 9500 came along.

One last comment. Who has something to say about the phono stage on this amp? I am finding it absolutely amazing- lush and very present and clear. I may even just sell my Cambridge Audio 640p, which is pretty good, but I can't imagine it sounds better than the phono stage on the 9500. So good...so, so good.

I am totally in agreement that it's all about system synergy, and personal preference. There is nothing wrong with the AU-9500. Far from it.

So my non-working AU-9500 is now working! What may not have been working is my head. I think that, in the end, it may have been a simple tape switch setting that caused the problem. Thanks to all who offered advice above. I am an occasional idiot.

Now on to more important matters. In the last hour, I have become a religious man. I am a devotee of the religion of AU-9500. Can I just say that I have had my mind thoroughly blown?! The 9500 is massively powerful, and in complete control of its output. It is completely present, equally bold, delicate, lush and detailed. The bass is big and present and "live", the mids are sweet, the highs are amazing. Maybe this amp is not perfect, but it's pretty damn close, at least in my setup.

I think it's possibly a perfect match for the Tannoy Gold 12"s, so speaker synergy is way good here. I will post further impressions later. But for now, it is a huge improvement over the venerable model Seven, and lays my pretty yet uninspired fully recapped Marantz 2270 to absolute waste. I was liking the Seven over the 2270 before the 9500 came along.

One last comment. Who has something to say about the phono stage on this amp? I am finding it absolutely amazing- lush and very present and clear. I may even just sell my Cambridge Audio 640p, which is pretty good, but I can't imagine it sounds better than the phono stage on the 9500. So good...so, so good.

I am totally in agreement that it's all about system synergy, and personal preference. There is nothing wrong with the AU-9500. Far from it.

Well, there you go.....

Glad you like it.......Nice one...:thmbsp:

Glad you sorted it out. Glad you liked it so much.

Give your yourself credit. In life as in Sansui acquisitions, one must dare greatly. You took a chance, and struck gold. :tresbon: :music:

If the phono transistors aren't noisy, I think it's a quite good circuit. Congrats on getting it sorted out. I'm not sure if it's a cult or a religion, but all things considered the 9500 can be very rewarding.

If the phono transistors aren't noisy, I think it's a quite good circuit. Congrats on getting it sorted out. I'm not sure if it's a cult or a religion, but all things considered the 9500 can be very rewarding.

As I mentioned, I'm really impressed with the phono stage. I will give it a better listen soon when the kiddies are not sleeping (ample bass!), but my initial impression is very good.

I already drank the AU-9500 kool-aid.

Just another piece of Japanese crap , to some high end supposed to know gurus.

Another piece of cult or religion to us.

I suspect Jomark911 was alluding to the attitude held by those in the top echelon of boutique audio (read: too expensive for guys like us) that wholly discount the value and quality of mass-produced hi-fi of Japanese origin like Sansui. You know the type, they spend $5000 on speaker interconnects - because at those prices they can't dare be called wire or cable anymore - and look down their noses at those of us who worship at the altar of Sansui (or Pioneer, Marantz, etc). Point being, it was sacasm intended to poke fun at the golden ear masters of the universe who will spend orders of magnitude more than we ever will on brands we never heard of and still not be satisfied with what they think they hear.

So, there you have it. You found an amp that truly hits the spot. Be happy that it was relatively easy and inexpensive, there are many wandering the wilderness of hi-fi still looking for that elusive sasquatch of an amp that just sounds right to them. Some may never come face to face with it, due to being too critical or having preconceived notions they cannot let go of. That makes you a winner, and makes them suckers (who will soon be parted from their money as the saying goes).

And yes, as my screen name implies, I am a true believer in Sansui for 35 years. I got my first taste at 5 when my dad brought home a second hand 5000 receiver to replace an old Lafayette that died and couldn't be repaired. I started my own collection in 1996 and have almost everything I want. If you get the bug as bad as I did, you will end up with stacks of gear such that you can put a complete system in every room with spares leftover.

No, I think JOMARK likes them, as most of us do. (those that have actually listened to one).

If I re-write like this... (hoping John doesn't mind :))

"Just another piece of Japanese crap", to some high end 'supposed to know' gurus.

Does that help?

Last edited:
??

So, you don't like the AU-9500? I am a bit confused.

I suspect Jomark911 was alluding to the attitude held by those in the top echelon of boutique audio (read: too expensive for guys like us) that wholly discount the value and quality of mass-produced hi-fi of Japanese origin like Sansui. You know the type, they spend $5000 on speaker interconnects - because at those prices they can't dare be called wire or cable anymore - and look down their noses at those of us who worship at the altar of Sansui (or Pioneer, Marantz, etc). Point being, it was sacasm intended to poke fun at the golden ear masters of the universe who will spend orders of magnitude more than we ever will on brands we never heard of and still not be satisfied with what they think they hear.

So, there you have it. You found an amp that truly hits the spot. Be happy that it was relatively easy and inexpensive, there are many wandering the wilderness of hi-fi still looking for that elusive sasquatch of an amp that just sounds right to them. Some may never come face to face with it, due to being too critical or having preconceived notions they cannot let go of. That makes you a winner, and makes them suckers (who will soon be parted from their money as the saying goes).

And yes, as my screen name implies, I am a true believer in Sansui for 35 years. I got my first taste at 5 when my dad brought home a second hand 5000 receiver to replace an old Lafayette that died and couldn't be repaired. I started my own collection in 1996 and have almost everything I want. If you get the bug as bad as I did, you will end up with stacks of gear such that you can put a complete system in every room with spares leftover.

Ahh... saracasm....yes, that makes sense.

Interesting post. I completely agree about overpriced audio gear. I actually feel a bit sad for people that spend $5K on cables. I think they're looking for something else in their lives that cannot be bought, and are trying to obsessively fill the hole with seeking audio perfection. Money better spent on a shrink. I am sure you'll find that those people re-sell the $5K cables within a year, to upgrade. That's my take on it. I digress....now back to Sansui....

I am a new Sansui devotee, previously being a Marantz fan. I paid very little for this amp relative to the phenomenal sound and build.

I don't think I will end up collecting Sansui gear though. In fact my new AU-9500 has prompted me to put my beautiful Seven up for sale.

Cheers.

I think hyperion and sansuiman said it even better than me.
I'm a true Sansui lover and devotee. You can't imagine how many high end jaws I have caused to drop to the floor , by listening the crap sansui and crap coral diy speakers that I have. Some left in a hurry for a forgotten rendezvous , some said it's too good to be true, this sound. Anyways each to his own.

Cheers, enjoy your beautiful amp.

I think hyperion and sansuiman said it even better than me.
I'm a true Sansui lover and devotee. You can't imagine how many high end jaws I have caused to drop to the floor , by listening the crap sansui and crap coral diy speakers that I have. Some left in a hurry for a forgotten rendezvous , some said it's too good to be true, this sound. Anyways each to his own.

Cheers, enjoy your beautiful amp.

"Some left in a hurry for a forgotten rendezvous"; a hilarious image....!

Cheers.

Welcome to the world of Sansui! Glad you like your 9500 as much as the rest of us. Happy listening!

And to think that I was going to pass on the 9500 because I had heard several naysayers on AK. No discredit to their opinions intended. But it just goes to show that you gotta listen for yourself.

Congrats on your new acquisition! FWIW, I personally would not let go of that Seven you have! I own one and think it is a very nice sounding and looking receiver. You may have a hard time finding another, but everyones situation is different. Just my opinion. I understand how you feel the 9500 is a better listen than your Seven because it is a integrated amp and has more power etc. I have a AU 999 and a 9090 that I listen to as well as my Seven. They all sound great, just have their own niche if you will. I would have an extremely hard time letting any one of them go. Happy listening.

Last edited:
Great to hear you got the AU 9500 fired up and running Dave! I like playing NPR classical music on mine. It has a deep fat sound to it, tho now you need the matching TU 9500!

I would hold onto your phono preamp. Mine got noisy after a inspection (noisy transistors I suspect. I didn't want to take it back in so I got a Bellari tube preamp and it matches with the 9500 very well. Hendrix, Floyd, Classical, Blues and Jazz sound great. Tho my Eight really rocks, can't you hold onto your Seven or I assume you need to recoup the costs. Anyways enjoy!

Great to hear you got the AU 9500 fired up and running Dave! I like playing NPR classical music on mine. It has a deep fat sound to it, tho now you need the matching TU 9500!

I would hold onto your phono preamp. Mine got noisy after a inspection (noisy transistors I suspect. I didn't want to take it back in so I got a Bellari tube preamp and it matches with the 9500 very well. Hendrix, Floyd, Classical, Blues and Jazz sound great. Tho my Eight really rocks, can't you hold onto your Seven or I assume you need to recoup the costs. Anyways enjoy!

Good to note about your deteriorating transistors in the phono pre.

I don't need to recoup the costs so much as I don't see the value in having too much audio gear that just looks pretty, sitting on a shelf. I have three turntables (couldn't part with any of them), and three amps, and two sets of speakers, and it's not like I live in a mansion. The Seven is super great, but I really think the AU-9500 has made it obselete in my setup as it's like a Seven but more of the good stuff. And of course, selling it means I can buy another toy!

As for the TU-9500. It's a slightly painful side of this story. A week before, the seller sold the TU-9500 separately, for pretty cheap. Why he broke up the pair, I do not know. Despite it looking great, I don't actually listen to a lot of radio, so it's not too painful.

David

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom