Sansui AU-9500 vs. Sansui Seven

Ahh... saracasm....yes, that makes sense.

Interesting post. I completely agree about overpriced audio gear. I actually feel a bit sad for people that spend $5K on cables. I think they're looking for something else in their lives that cannot be bought, and are trying to obsessively fill the hole with seeking audio perfection. Money better spent on a shrink. I am sure you'll find that those people re-sell the $5K cables within a year, to upgrade. That's my take on it. I digress....now back to Sansui....

I am a new Sansui devotee, previously being a Marantz fan. I paid very little for this amp relative to the phenomenal sound and build.

I don't think I will end up collecting Sansui gear though. In fact my new AU-9500 has prompted me to put my beautiful Seven up for sale.

Cheers.

Can't help but feel that might be directed a little bit at me........:scratch2:
(not that I have 5K cables, I make my own), but I have invested a serious amount of money in my systems......
What I was looking for in a system can actually be bought, and I have bought it....

For me it is about performance, and whatever I have to pay to get it within reason is what I'll do......The AU9500 simply did not deliver what I consider to me the ultimate sound, its possibly the holy grail for some, but not me...
But I am not dissing anybody for liking the AU9500, if it tickles your fancy, that's great.....
So to start making comments about high end gear without listening and having experienced it properly, is a bit on the nose in my book....
I speak from experience as a musician and professional Audio Engineer, and my own journey through the evolution of my gear, I don't blow hot air about such things.....

Enjoy your AU9500.......:thmbsp:

Can't help but feel that might be directed a little bit at me........:scratch2:
(not that I have 5K cables, I make my own), but I have invested a serious amount of money in my systems......
What I was looking for in a system can actually be bought, and I have bought it....

For me it is about performance, and whatever I have to pay to get it within reason is what I'll do......The AU9500 simply did not deliver what I consider to me the ultimate sound, its possibly the holy grail for some, but not me...
But I am not dissing anybody for liking the AU9500, if it tickles your fancy, that's great.....
So to start making comments about high end gear without listening and having experienced it properly, is a bit on the nose in my book....
I speak from experience as a musician and professional Audio Engineer, and my own journey through the evolution of my gear, I don't blow hot air about such things.....

Enjoy your AU9500.......:thmbsp:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, no one was targeted specifically. I thought I was in safe company in a Sansui forum...

We here all invest as much as we want to, or can, into what we enjoy, which is audio connaisseurship.

I would bet your sound system sounds amazing and is worth it to you and would probably impress most people here.

Having said that, I think there are some people out there that are perpetually seeking something they'll never find.

I have sunk a few bucks into my system too.

Almost completely satisfied...:eek:

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend anyone, no one was targeted specifically. I thought I was in safe company in a Sansui forum...

We here all invest as much as we want to, or can, into what we enjoy, which is audio connaisseurship.

I would bet your sound system sounds amazing and is worth it to you and would probably impress most people here.

Having said that, I think there are some people out there that are perpetually seeking something they'll never find.

I have sunk a few bucks into my system too.

Almost completely satisfied...:eek:

It is an open forum.......So some think skin required to be here.....

I'm not offended, but I don't like being pigeonholed either.......

I have owned a lot of Sansui gear, and I think it is some of the best gear to come out of Japan period, and I enjoyed my Sansui's when I had them....
The only one I didn't enjoy was the 9500....

I had G9000DB, G22000, AU999 (still got it), AU9500, G7700, TU999, TU5900, 9090DB.....

Since I have built up my two McIntosh systems, I have stopped the journey, I dont have that desire to keep searching for the Holy grail....

However, I do believe in diminishing returns, I could spend twice the money or more and not really gain that much performance, so there is something to be said for the "bang for buck" theory too in my opinion.

But yeah, keep and ear out for noise in the AU9500, it is full of transistors which go leaky, and noisy.....
Some are on the EQ stage, and in the phono stage as someone has mentioned.....

And to think that I was going to pass on the 9500 because I had heard several naysayers on AK. No discredit to their opinions intended. But it just goes to show that you gotta listen for yourself.

True, but I still wouldn't use the word "naysayers" about those who gave you guidance and opinion when you asked them for it. However glad you have found a great amp to your liking. :thmbsp:

True, but I still wouldn't use the word "naysayers" about those who gave you guidance and opinion when you asked them for it. However glad you have found a great amp to your liking. :thmbsp:

Sorry Guys! You are all really helpful! I didn't mean to sound unappreciative!

I just looked naysayer up in the dictionary. It means someone with a poor attitude. Different than what i intended to say...By naysayers i just meant those who are a bit "meh.." about the 9500.

No one here is a naysayer.

I leave it at that.

Last edited:
I just recently purchased a au-9500 and tu-9500 off of letgo for $60.00. (Got it from its original owner who purchased a brand new in 1975. He said he never turned it up past 2.) Got home spent 3 days cleaning and getting 40 year old dust out of it. I have a pair if Cerwin vega VS150 and a pair of Yamaha S5115HT sound reinforcement monitors. All I can say is DAMN!!!!! This amp pushes the vega's and the yama's to incredible levels that I have never heard out of them. Cannot get it turned passed 3!!!! I'm thoroughly impressed with this amp and tuner. I've only been using it for a couple of days and damn!! I have several other amps and this one blows Them All Away by far. IMG_20171113_100121.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20171113_101621.jpg
    IMG_20171113_101621.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20171113_233307.jpg
    IMG_20171113_233307.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 23
That is a screaming deal. Please post the serial numbers for the database. Click on the link in my signature block.

- Pete

Back
Top Bottom