The Fez

=== V-FET SHOOT OUT - SONY V YAMAHA ===

Sony TA-N7B

- 160,000 yen
- 100w + 100w 8ohms
- 21kg
- Two independent monaural amplifiers
- Harmonic distortion .01%

First stage – Voltage amplifier. Dual FET input, a differential cascode amplifier, current mirror output circuit at the first stage and a bipolar transistor cascode amplifier at the next stage.

Drive stage – Fully complimentary push-pull power amp. – Sony V-FETs 2SJ18 & 2SK60 plus bipolar transistors in cascode configuration. Triple dual output configuration per channel.

Yamaha B-2
- 200,000 yen
- 100w + 100w 8ohms
- 26kg
- Two independent power transformers
- Harmonic distortion <.08%

First stage – voltage amplifier – Dual FET input, a differential amplifier with cascode bootstrap circuit.

Drive stage – Fully complimentary push-pull power amp. Mirror image, complimentary pairs Yamaha V-FETs 2SK76 & 2SJ26. Two pairs per channel.

Power --- I like power! The power of the V-FET! - Both these amplifiers could be considered statement products from their respective manufacturers at the time of release. “High-End” (I hate that term!) late 70’s style. Incredible build quality is evident in both amplifiers.

I’m no professional “reviewer” of hifi gear; these are simply my subjective ramblings about how these amps sound in my own set-ups.

Preamplifiers

1. Musical Fidelity A3CR Dual Mono preamplifier
2. “Parley” A single valve (12AU7) preamp with Jfet/buffer driver stage designed and built by retro-thermionic. http://retro-thermionic.blogspot.com.au/

Sources

1. Squeezebox Touch (EDO)
2. Audio-gd NFB 1.32 ESS Sabre DAC
3. Yamaha CD-S1000 Player

Speakers

Krix Apex Floorstander

Yamaha B-2

The B-2 is a super amplifier. No, wait a super-duper amplifier….

Plenty of power on tap, more than enough and the Yamaha delivers the sound very nicely. The B-2 drives the 4ohm Krix speakers with ease, up to very loud levels if you so desire, always very composed.

I describe the B-2’s sound as clean and dry. It’s extremely accurate, and less smooth or musical than the Sony. The bass is deep and very well defined and controlled. Midrange is very close to neutral in my system, maybe just a little backward compared to the N7-B. Highs are nicely detailed.

Soundstage of the B-2 is excellent; it bests the N7-B in this regard. It’s big, detailed, and wide just great. It comes close (from memory) to the best soundstage I’ve heard, in a power amplifier, the Sony ESPRIT TA-N902.

The B-2 in my system performs better being driven by the single tube pre-amplifier. It does sound good with the Musical Fidelity, but my recommendation to all B-2 owners is – you should try it with a tube preamplifier. I think being an all v-fet output stage; the B-2 is a little fussier when it comes to preamps

Sony TA-N7B

The Sony TA-N7B – revered by some as the best power amplifier ever made - period. It’s the biggest call isn’t it! It’s a very refined sound. Transient speed and dynamics are wonderful. It’s a “quick” amplifier the N7-B. Low frequency is amazing. The amplifier goes so low and with wonderful definition and control, deeper than the Yamaha.

Stereo imaging and soundstage is very good, however it’ is not as deep and wide as I expected - not as good as the Yamaha.

The N7-B has a sense of transparency about it that is just wonderful. It is a beautiful sweet and open sound. Don’t misunderstand, the Sony is not a “lightweight” sound, it also has plenty of “grunt” but it also has this beautiful openness to its delivery. A unique combination in my experience.

More forgiving than the B-2 regarding preamp matching, the N7-B is just as good with either preamplifier.

Sony did something unique with the TA-N7B. As a good friend of mine said, the N7-B is a “solid state power amplifier R&D project”!. The ultimate sonic signature being the goal at the time, never to bettered.

Conclusion

In many ways it’s ludicrous to compare the Sony and Yamaha. How do you “choose” between these two amps? Simply you don’t. If you are lucky enough to have both, you enjoy each one as they are. Both amplifiers are designed and built to push the limits of sound reproduction and technology. And both sound very, very good.

It does not matter what type of music you throw at these two amps, they will never be flustered or stressed.

Both amplifiers are brilliant – simple as that.

Footnote

I’ve mentioned before that the Krix speakers are not the best that could be put in front of these amplifiers. They are passable for sound, however you can obviously hear the potential of both amplifiers, and the Krix are at a point that cannot reproduce the full potential of each amplifier. And others that I have.

I have been researching and looking at options for a major upgrade in speakers for many months now, but have yet to purchase another pair.

Music

Amy Winehouse – Lioness Hidden Treasures

John Lee Hooker – Mr Lucky

Melody Gardot – My One & Only Thrill

Angus & Julia Stone – Down The Way

Kraftwerk – The Man-Machine

Michael Jackson – Thriller

Led Zeppelin – Led Zeppelin IV

The Alan Parsons Project - Pyramid

:D

Last edited:
Nice write-up. Thanks.
Surprisingly similar to the comparison that Yamaha B-2 wrote ~10yr ago when he had both. The only difference my shaky memory of that review might be in how deep the B-2 goes compared to the TA-N7B. IIRC, Y B-2 thought that the B-2 was better in the bass region, but that could also have been a result of his changing some coupling caps to 2uf rather 0.47 (again, my memory, as always, might be a bit suspect on the details). Also, you state the Sony is "less" forgiving of preamps. Perhaps you meant more forgiving as it did not seem to care. I do recall that Y B-2 also thought the B-2 was at its best with a BAT preamp that was all 6922 tubes. Great pair of amps.

Last edited:
VFET with directly heated triode preamp

I often listen to my Yamaha B2 with a mercury vapor rectified 26 directly heated triode preamp on full range quasi ribbon panel, or with a Manley Neo 300b preamp. I also use it as a Stax headphone amp.

I agree with Srajan Ebaen that the combo of DHT tube preamp and a VFET/SIT amp is the best sonic combo. It is certainly the most hypnotically magical. I have trouble tearing myself away. The sound is almost indescribable in its midrange and upper midrange beauty.

Where any other transistor amp tends to inevitably go slightly hard or bitter in the tone, the VFET just goes deeper and sweeter. Piano, vibes and horns are unrivaled.

I heard Nelson Pass Sony VFET monster at the California Audio Show with the Sony speakers. It sounded wonderful, but I would have loved to have paired it with a DHT preamp.

Last edited:
The Fez: followed a link from my retro-thermionic blog stats to your review. Got a shock when I saw Parley there then twigged it was you. I have to admit they look like two big powerful serious amps. Nice little collection to have. Looks like you have a nice clean setup there.

Great write-up. You really give an idea of what it would be like to own these beauties.

At one time I had a B-2 and TA-5650 and compared them to each other and to a pair of MC60's. Of all the ss amps that I have owned and heard, VFET amps sound closest to tube rectified tube amps. The speakers for this comparo were the incomparable NS-1000M. The NS-1000M was pictured with the B-2 in Yamaha literature.

It's a lot of fun to compare and listen to both amplifiers. Great to have these two classics in use and pumping!!

I noticed I didn't have a shot of the M.F. Pre...Here it is..

It's a lot of fun to compare and listen to both amplifiers. Great to have these two classics in use and pumping!!

I noticed I didn't have a shot of the M.F. Pre...Here it is..
A friend of mine has an A3CR preamp. It has a heck of a power supply and is a very nice sounding piece. :thmbsp:

Last edited:
If memory serves, Yamaha B-2 used a pair of the Yamaha NS-1000 (rather than the NS-1000M) in his comparison. Nice pair of 1000M's (formerly owned by Yamaha B-2) in Barter Town.

If memory serves, Yamaha B-2 used a pair of the Yamaha NS-1000 (rather than the NS-1000M) in his comparison. Nice pair of 1000M's (formerly owned by Yamaha B-2) in Barter Town.

Just wonderin'. Whatever happened to Yamaha B-2?
I know he really liked all his VFETs, both Yamaha and Sony. And he was also fellow Jerseyite. I have not seen him post in quite a few years. :scratch2:

Interesting review. You are lucky to own both these amps! I have been pondering to try my TA-N7B with a tube pre. Sound with the TA-E88B is very clean and potent but I am curious.

Good to read Y-B2's spirit is still living on!

You could plug in i.e. a Sony CDPX707ES/CDPX777ES directly into an power amp skipping the preamp all together... These beautiful CD players do have a volume output control.

:)

He got kicked off? I do not remember his as caustic, rude or otherwise. He was firm in his opinions but, I think most of us are.

You could plug in i.e. a Sony CDPX707ES/CDPX777ES directly into an power amp skipping the preamp all together... These beautiful CD players do have a volume output control.

:)
I got a ESPRIT TA-N902 to do that with my Yamaha CD-S1000 player. Use the N-902 variable input. Superb. [emoji3]

Back
Top Bottom