fm stereo lamp replacement on KR 2600

bigred1

Greetings,
I did the ole upgrade to led's and deoxit to my 2600 and need to figure out which light to order to replace the fm stereo indicator. I’ve researched and from what I can tell I can use part number B30-0064-15. It’s called a pilot lamp 50Ma 8V. The original had the solid pin leads and the casing that went into a rubber housing on the faceplate.

Any info would be great, I’ve found the B30-0064-15 but its $12 shipped, a lot for one little light. The issue is that I drilled out the old one and tried to use a led with resistor and now the FM/MONO only works in MONO and the speaker channels only output on one speaker. After a previous solid state post I’m confident it’s this linkage being off.

Its called the beacon lamp in the schematic and is rated 10ma.

Thanks

Last edited:
Weird, I was just working on mine. My dad bought it for me brand new when I was a teenager in the 70's, "Todd, lets get you something kind of decent for your Bday that you might have the rest of your life." OK Dad, what...everrrrrr. 51 and I still have it, left channel wasn't working, don't know what I did but it's working great again. Not a great piece but certainly not a bad little diddly. I don't plan to let it go, if I do I'll offer it to somebody in the fam. I have a button switch that won't lock in though, my lamps are out too like yours. Well, my FM indicator IS working but not the other lamps.
DSCN1374.jpg

Last edited:
Stereo lamps are often 'in the circuit' for stereo detection. No correct lamp, no stereo. But the electrical specs you've got are enough for dewojo or another knowledgable supplier to fix you up with what you need.

It's after 2am, a prob on the 2600 was driving me nuts but I finally found it. This might help you because it looks to me that it might be a problem that's not uncommon with these, not going to happen to every unit though and not likely a prob you have at the moment but maybe. See that screw with the washer(temp fix). That screw underneath the receiver just below the TAPE, source/play button was touching a soldered connector end on the switch and it was causing the left channel to go dead. I was using a chopstick to push on the circuit board and noticed the left channel would play when I pushed it down ever so slightly.
DSCN1378.jpg

I will unscrew those bottom screws tonight that would be crazy if that's the culprit. I would have never figured that out. What's frustrating about the lamp is that I've been able to find a lamp that's very close to spec and have for good measure tried several others with no change. I reached out to dgwojo last week and haven't heard back. I cleaned everything again but no change, also checked the fuses for good measure.

Thanks for these points I'm not giving up I finally have a setup in enjoying and in doing maintenance messed something up so pretty frustrating.

Its not the screw. I figured it wouldnt hurt taking the bottom plate off just to look around and things looked ok.

To help others I'm updating this with the reply I left in the other post regarding my issues.

Problem solved. So I cleaned the pots and switches several times. I also checked screws touching the board welds as this has been a culprit in these kenwoods. For one last try I cleaned the switches again looking for shorts or burns. I tilted the receiver back so the deoxit could run into the switches and really worked them. 4th time I've done this, but again this time had it sitting on it's back. Let it dry and boom everything works.

I put it all back together and I have no right channel. I determine that something with the faceplate and body on it's getting messed up. I start backing out faceplate screws and on the first one I try channel comes back in.

Dirty switches and a swelled or shifted board getting shorted by bracket mounts and screws touching the board.

Thanks for all those that offered guidance this took me more time than I care to admit!

It's after 2am, a prob on the 2600 was driving me nuts but I finally found it. This might help you because it looks to me that it might be a problem that's not uncommon with these, not going to happen to every unit though and not likely a prob you have at the moment but maybe. See that screw with the washer(temp fix). That screw underneath the receiver just below the TAPE, source/play button was touching a soldered connector end on the switch and it was causing the left channel to go dead. I was using a chopstick to push on the circuit board and noticed the left channel would play when I pushed it down ever so slightly.
View attachment 583972
This is a classic case of "search the archives". I was having an issue with a KR2600 that I bought last Friday. I went to look/listen to it; and when the guy hooked it up it had a very weak left channel. He said he didn't understand, because it had worked when he moved it from one room to another. He said he would cut $10 dollars from the price if I wanted to still buy it. I gambled and took it home. I opened it up and sprayed Deoxit on the pots. Hooked it up and still had issue. It would sound ok if I cranked the balance knob and played with the volume.. Did some digging here on Audiokarma. Found this thread and figured I'd give it a shot. . Backed out the screw, turned it on and it was good as new. Thank you!!!

This is a classic case of "search the archives". I was having an issue with a KR2600 that I bought last Friday. I went to look/listen to it; and when the guy hooked it up it had a very weak left channel. He said he didn't understand, because it had worked when he moved it from one room to another. He said he would cut $10 dollars from the price if I wanted to still buy it. I gambled and took it home. I opened it up and sprayed Deoxit on the pots. Hooked it up and still had issue. It would sound ok if I cranked the balance knob and played with the volume.. Did some digging here on Audiokarma. Found this thread and figured I'd give it a shot. . Backed out the screw, turned it on and it was good as new. Thank you!!!

The internet is great isn't it?! I've been DYI fixing my plumbing, sheetrock, fixed my two washing machines, my AC and other stuff by looking around on Youtube and other internet sites. Yeah that was crazy luck finding that screw problem, always have your chopsticks handy haha, I mean, lol.

What led’s did you use to replace the bulbs? Mine are out and I have no idea what to use to replace them with. Any help would be much appreciated

What led’s did you use to replace the bulbs? Mine are out and I have no idea what to use to replace them with. Any help would be much appreciated
What did you end up using for lamps and bases on the (2) dial lights? I mocked up a pioneer lamp base but it is too big compared to the original. Hard to find any pictures of these units with any color LED. Not sure what route to go.

Attachments

• KR-2600 lamp.jpg
    KR-2600 lamp.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom