Ever heaerd of this speaker company?

Stumbled upon this website:

http://www.fibhornspeakers.com/

I have to admit I like the site design itself, but all that Fibonacci obseccion raised my brows (to say the least).
There is nothing new about using Fostex drivers. But why "no crossovers" should sound like a huge break-through??? For a single driver? Duh! :scratch2:
But what really made me cringe is a phrase: In direct comparison with the most noted brands of speaker (Wilson, B&W, Mission, Martin-Logan, etc) our FIBHORNS prove superior every time.

Really??? Prove when and by whom???
Well, I am not trying to piss all over this company. Never seen their speakers, never heard one and (mainly) never heard ABOUT them...

Does anyone?:smoke:

Well, everything on the internet is true; so they must be better than those other brands.

Fibhorns

Wow! I'd love to get $199 Fostex speakers wich will sound better than say Wilson Alexandria XLF!
But somehow I doubt that....
They claim down to 38 hz bass response.... and yet there are no any mesurements (sensitivity, frequency response, ets) for any of their model which reminds me of...white van websites. 38 Hz at -20 db? maybe :thumbsdn:

All I know is, I've never heard a horn that I've liked. The Avant Garde horns are the only ones I can even tolerate. IME single driver systems while having superb midrange (no crossover) tend to have rolled off highs and severely rolled off bass.

For the asking price, might be worth trying. $200 is pretty inexpensive. We spend far more on snake oil cables. I too, am skeptical about the low end claim especially, when he suggests adding a tweeter while still claiming it is a single driver design. There is puffing and then there is crossing a line. Based on his statement, my old Bozak Symphonys are still a single driver design. However, I have seen such statements from other single drive system makers so, I guess somehow, in their minds, they believe it.

Wow! I'd love to get $199 Fostex speakers wich will sound better than say Wilson Alexandria XLF!
But somehow I doubt that....
They claim down to 38 hz bass response.... and yet there are no any mesurements (sensitivity, frequency response, ets) for any of their model which reminds me of...white van websites. 38 Hz at -20 db? maybe :thumbsdn:

I'd guess that they may be "fibbing" about those Fibhorns.:D

Al. Wise

1) No I've never heard of 'em.
2) Potentially interesting/clever idea -- although, on the other hand, it could also be one of those typical internet pastiches of two unrelated concepts made to look like a profound innovation (you know, along the lines of scalar fields, cold fusion, weird states of matter... stuff like that)
3) Fibonacci notwithstanding... Fibhorn isn't a very good name at least for the English speaking world. Honest.

It is actually an interesting (somehow) story. A gentleman was asking about some speakers I had for sale. Came for an audition and I made a mistake of also let him to listen to my Polk SDA-SRS. Needless to say he didn't buy what I was selling (no biggie - sold them anyways to another guy a day later) and was off for a quest to find Polks. Eventually he found SDA 2 (if I'm not mistaken) and asked for my advice on the rest of the system. And at the same time he mentioned his lady friend (an avid audiophile in his words) who provided her suggestions as well.
So what were they?
Uturn Orbit for the turntable which IMHO is a legit option. So far so good....and then she suggested Dayton T-amp. For Polk SDAs in a relatively big room? WTF???
Whatever....
And several days later he sent me this link to Fibhorn web site - it is (supposedly) her who builds them.
I will keep my opinion about her avid "audiophiliness" to myself, but to say that I'm skeptical is to say nothing....

A really impressive breakthrough by fibhorn. Bravo. Those knuckleheads over at Bowers & Wilkins have to charge € 32.500,00 per Nautilus to keep their heads above water. What dorks. :)

Interesting.. I got curious and looked around, she has a web site that really gives no information such as dimensions, performance other than a claim of one model reaching 38Hz. I found them on EBay where the maker does supply specs. The primary speaker is a full range 3" speaker that sells for $13 at Parts Express and has a maximum wattage rating of 15 watts. The Fibonacci effect horn supplies the bass response and there is no crossover involved. The speaker was rated at 88 Db efficiency. On the EBay site she states that if the speaker is in stock it will be sent immediately, but if it needs to be built, it will take three weeks.

I feel it could be fun to try out the speaker with a low power tube or SS amp, just for the experience, but it would have to be when I have 200 bucks lying around. I don't give this a "White Van" label, but there is sure a question mark about the ability and lasting power.

I wish Sally the best of luck with her design.

Last edited:
I hope their speakers are better than their math skills. For the Fibonacci sequence listed on their site:

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 39 55 84 144 . . .

39 and 84 are wrong. Should be 34 and 89, respectively:

0 1 1 2 3 5 8 13 21 34 55 89 144 . . .

Each value is the sum of the previous two.

Back
Top Bottom