Sansui TOTL Speakers SP-5000 and SP-5500 Side By Side?

4-2-7

Smart Ass
Sponsor
Well since there is not that much, well nothing really when searching these speaker, how about a SP-5000 and SP-5500 Side By Side?

I'm right in the middel of taking lots of photos so stay tuned in and see how they compair.

IMG_2219_zpsynn1txjs.jpg~original

IMG_2217_zpsr1febjiq.jpg~original

Last edited:
Sansui SP-5000

(1) 15" woofer
(2) 6.5" low midranges
(2) 4" high midranges
(2) 2.5" horn-type tweeters
Sensitivity = 102db/100watt
8 ohm system (6 to 15 range with no loss of efficiency)
Frequency range = 30 - 20,000 (at Anechoic Chamber)
Frequency range = 25 - 20,000 (at Normal Listening room)
Dimensions = 19.25" Wide x 32.6" High x 16.6" Deep
Weight = 90.3 pounds
Finish = Oiled walnut (also with the wood fretwork grilles)

IMG_1645_zps158ac52c.jpg~original

Don't believe everything on the internet, I always thought these specs were correct. They say 100 watts but that's not what the xovers says.

IMG_2252_zpsc6oep1ph.jpg~original

Last edited:
SP-5500

IMG_2259_zpsdakqqbvd.jpg~original

Under this thick padding Sansui put a 15" x 1" disc of parical board to take up cubic space or to thicken the back pannel to two inches right behind the woofer.

IMG_2262_zpsjrim1vl6.jpg~original

IMG_2261_zpsusugyudd.jpg~original

IMG_2264_zpsnpkpnacz.jpg~original

IMG_2265_zpsxdiabnn9.jpg~original

IMG_2268_zpsyzmmvogd.jpg~original

IMG_2270_zpskoeg1yjq.jpg~original

IMG_2271_zpseqivmpna.jpg~original

IMG_2274_zpsam0fboax.jpg~original

IMG_2276_zpsltgcv0mw.jpg~original

IMG_2275_zpsimxk8mci.jpg~original

Last edited:
SP-5000

IMG_2278_zpstx4f1uvs.jpg~original

IMG_2281_zpsbqap0ewu.jpg~original

IMG_2282_zpsflqiywmy.jpg~original

IMG_2283_zpsio2gd1rr.jpg~original

IMG_2284_zpsdzkplpgh.jpg~original

IMG_2286_zpsqclxcqbf.jpg~original

IMG_2287_zpszsxcj8zp.jpg~original

A few things to note is the sp-5000 differs in an open box, thin dampening matirial, all wiring is soldered.

IMG_2288_zpslilqpkds.jpg~original

Last edited:
Great pics.

Looks like all caps are original? You may want to recap them after you listen to them awhile as is and see if sound improved with new caps.

Wow! Thanks for the documentation. It may take awhile but make sure to gently tighten all the driver screws.:scratch2:

Great pics.

Looks like all caps are original? You may want to recap them after you listen to them awhile as is and see if sound improved with new caps.

Hi Eric...The only speakers I have that had a recap I bought from you..:D

Well you know I have had the sp-5000 for a while and tried chasing a "Better" sound around. I started to give up power output for detail, also the mc275 are so clean sounding, it was like an SS system.

I started thinking of bringing the sp-5000 back into the mix and maybe give them an overhaul. I have three of them and will do one recap to see if SQ is gained.

I'm still looking for specs on the SP-5500 I think I have some brosurs in my files somewhere.

I got the 5500 local to me from an air force captain that brought them back home with him. These things were so well cared for, hardly any dust inside and I don't think the covers were ever taken off.

Here is some info fom another one of our own AKers.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=525320

SP-5500
This is a four-way system with six individual drivers, including a 15" woofer, a large midrange horn, 2 cone-type midrange speakers, and two horn tweeters. The 15" woofer has a massive 7" magnet, a copper voice coil, and a high-quality brass bobbin. It also employs a special voice coil assembly that operates as a high-cut filter, thereby eliminating the need for low frequency crossover. In addition to the large horn midrange driver, it has dual 5" midrange speakers that employ special aluminum concave radiators for smooth response over the entire range. The dual aluminum horn tweeters are coupled to an acoustical lens. There are dual 3-position switches on the back for high and low range sound tailoring to room acoustics and personal tastes.

I found with my SP-5000s they were soft and mushy with my SS 85w pushing them. They're rated @ 90w, 102db, now with two MC275 MkVI mono bridged @ 180w tube power. Well lets just say they love it, they have long legs over the stated wattage. Much more responsive clear hard hitting bass with optimum tube power driving them. I did run them with one MC275 @ 90 WPC at first and they sounded very good but it was very easy to just bring the volume all the way up. I knew then I wanted to mono the 275 and the sp-5000 will handel it.

Back
Top Bottom