Yamaha A-S500 reviews ?

version2

I've heard the yamaha a-s500 is a solid amp for those with champagne taste on a beer budget. How would AK members rate it, compared to other amps in this price category?

A few pertinent threads if you search in Modern Day Hi Fi.......suffice it to say, I find the thing to be BEYOND a bargain. I was searching for a mid power SS integrated and had up to $1200 to spend. Bought the AS500 as it bested anything else I listened to(about 14 amps), both SS and Hybrids.
I have it running a pair of GoldenEar Triton 2's with both ease and style. I'm sure if I wanted to plunk down $2000 or more, I could best it noticeably, but to say it is satisfying is a vast understatement.

Same as Tjlitt i was looking for a while for a new amp listen to everything i could. Had £550 and couldnt find anything that could better it. In my system. Awesom bit of kit for the money dosnt put a foot wrong. I put an iec power socket on with a good power cable its an amp thats hard to beet for the price. :)

It is a fantastic sounding amp; and with the introduction of the a-s501 (the next generation of the 500), you can find these for even a little less money. I really love mine:thmbsp:

Last edited:
I have only heard the 501 but it definitely sounded like a Yamaha to me. Very clean and, well, natural. I'd say the thing is punching far, far above it's price tag.
I was all about to buy one when I ended up with my C-80, M-60 separates. I love these but would be just as happy with one of the AS receivers.

EDIT to add: The knobs are actually nice to turn unlike lots of modern gear. Not sure if that matters to you but I like knobs that feel substantial. I also read you can replace any plastic knobs of the lower AS lines with the aluminum ones of the more expensive units. Not sure if it's true but I would go aluminum all the way.

How does it compare to vintage Yamahas? 810, 1010, etc

Well, having done a direct comparison between the a-s500 and ca1010, I'd have to say they are very close. For what it's worth, I think the a-s500 is slightly better. It is a bit more detailed with very forward mids. A recap on the 1010 could make a difference; however, I have a avionic recapped ca800 that still doesn't quite beat out the a-s500. It sounds great but to my ears there is just something about the a-s500 that gives it that slight edge.

If I didn't have those amps to do a direct comparison it would be exceedingly difficult to tell the difference. The key here is the Yamaha's are all very consistent soundwise; which I find remarkable considering their age difference.

What kind of amps are these? How much difference between the 3xx/5xx/7xx? Seems like it might be worth trying out.

well, having done a direct comparison between the a-s500 and ca1010, i'd have to say they are very close. For what it's worth, i think the a-s500 is slightly better. It is a bit more detailed with very forward mids. A recap on the 1010 could make a difference; however, i have a avionic recapped ca800 that still doesn't quite beat out the a-s500. It sounds great but to my ears there is just something about the a-s500 that gives it that slight edge.

If i didn't have those amps to do a direct comparison it would be exceedingly difficult to tell the difference. The key here is the yamaha's are all very consistent soundwise; which i find remarkable considering their age difference.

That sounds like good info. I can't find a retail vendor near me so i can't listen before i buy. Would any ak people buy over the net that way? Also i prefer the silver version, but i'm in the usa and they only want to sell me black case. If i buy from europe or japan to get the silver case the price doubles?

What kind of amps are these? How much difference between the 3xx/5xx/7xx? Seems like it might be worth trying out.

These are integrated amps. I think the main difference between the 301, 501, and 701 is wattage; I believe the the 801 has some additional features I'm not sure of off the top of my head. The x01 series has a built in dac and coaxial and optical inputs in addition to the standard inputs.
There is a great deal of info on line.

That sounds like good info. I can't find a retail vendor near me so i can't listen before i buy. Would any ak people buy over the net that way? Also i prefer the silver version, but i'm in the usa and they only want to sell me black case. If i buy from europe or japan to get the silver case the price doubles?

I bought my a-s500 from Onecall over the net. Many reputable on line dealers will allow you a trial period to see if you like it; the x01 series is available in silver in the US.

These are integrated amps. I think the main difference between the 301, 501, and 701 is wattage; I believe the the 801 has some additional features I'm not sure of off the top of my head. The x01 series has a built in dac and coaxial and optical inputs in addition to the standard inputs.
There is a great deal of info on line.

Asked the question wrong, are the class A/B class D? It's not always put out there on the front page of an items description. This is not meant as a quality question or a VS. question.

Love mine! It's not for a dark room, kind of disappears. But love the effortless sound. Pairs up well with the Yammie CD player and makes my 105.1s sing!

AS 500 is a very good amp: clean detailed and balanced across frequency range. 85 watt per channel is meaty and also has good imaging. They drive my NS 690 very well. I like the i pod connection and use it with the YDS 12 adaptor. As I listen to 2 channel stereo I have not bothered to audition the As 501 and wont need the extra features and digital inputs.

Plugged in connected CD player and i pod and never switched it off ever. Play it everyday for hours. I agree it just dissapears and does the job quietly and effectively.

Other than some improved connectivity for ipod, etc. and a sub-out, in what way was the Yamaha AS500 any different from the internal structure of the AX-497 that preceeded it? I've seen internal shots of both and I can't tell. Both have symmetrical heat sinks, same transformer and two 10,000 mf caps, and power ratings, etc.? The reason I ask is because Yamaha seemed to claim otherwise. They did, of course, redesign the face to reprise a retro Yamaha look but otherwise?

The 497 sounds OK as well, IMO, for a budget integrated?

Great question cnh2! Many of the specs look identical; and the internals as well.:scratch2:
In true AK fashion, I'd bet you you can find the ax-497 for a song now with the new a-s series out there. Could be a real bargain. Although I'll say the new features of the a-s are quite nice. I also have the a-s501 and appreciate the Bluetooth capability and other features.

Last edited:
Slightly off topic, but does anyone know how different the sound of the A-S500 (or S501) compares with the R-S500BL receiver? Curious why the receiver is that much cheaper than the intergrated amp. Is the A-S501 that better of a sound?

Back
Top Bottom