Cartridge recommendation for Technic SL-D202

dannyny

Hey guys i just picked up a SL-D202 for a great price. it came with a staton 505.V3 cartridge. should i upgrade the cartridge to something better?

Thanks in advance.

Put a new stylus on the Stanton, save your money for something that will make a significant difference like an AT440MLa. Then you can have two carts to use on your Technics for lots of versatility.

Thanks for the recommendations guys!!

I have a separate issue now. When I play records the sound is much lower than when I play the radio or from my CD player. I didn't think anything of it until I walked up to the turntable and turned the volume off and I can hear music coming from the cartridge. Is there something wrong with my table or cartridge or needle? I tried to google this but did not find anything regarding music coming from turntable cartridge.

Thanks

Thanks for the recommendations guys!!

I have a separate issue now. When I play records the sound is much lower than when I play the radio or from my CD player. I didn't think anything of it until I walked up to the turntable and turned the volume off and I can hear music coming from the cartridge. Is there something wrong with my table or cartridge or needle? I tried to google this but did not find anything regarding music coming from turntable cartridge.

Thanks

Which input do you have the turntable connected? If it's not a phono input, then it will be low?
As far as the sound from the cartridge with volume off, that's normal.

Which input do you have the turntable connected? If it's not a phono input, then it will be low?
As far as the sound from the cartridge with volume off, that's normal.

I have it plugged into one of my two phono inputs. I read a different thread where someone with the same receiver as I have was having the same issue because he had a MC cartridge vs a MM cartridge which works better with the pioneer sx-1050 I can be wrong but I think I may need a different type of cartridge?

I have it plugged into one of my two phono inputs. I read a different thread where someone with the same receiver as I have was having the same issue because he had a MC cartridge vs a MM cartridge which works better with the I can be wrong but I think I may need a different type of cartridge?

Are you aware that the Stanton 505.V3 (classified as a DJ type) cartridge you mentioned in your original post is a MM type with a 6mv output.If the cart and stylus is good, you should have no problem hearing it.
Here's a look at it with the stats.
http://www.lpgear.com/product/STANTON505V3.html

Personally, I'd purchase a different cart.

Are you aware that the Stanton 505.V3 (classified as a DJ type) cartridge you mentioned in your original post is a MM type with a 6mv output.If the cart and stylus is good, you should have no problem hearing it.
Here's a look at it with the stats.
http://www.lpgear.com/product/STANTON505V3.html

Personally, I'd purchase a different cart.

Thanks for the info!! I am definitely going to purchase a different cartridge after the info you given me.

I can hear my vinyls just fine. Its just when I play the radio or CD player my volume is set at 46db but when I play vinyl I have to place the volume at about 36-40db to get the same loudness. Is this normal?

That's normal on my setup, which is a Yamaha integrated amp and Technics table. When I listen to CD or tuner I typically have it set around 8 or 9 o'clock on the volume knob. For records that goes up to 10 o'clock at least to achieve roughly the same volume. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

The faint music coming from the turntable is normal. It's called "needle talk".

That's normal on my setup, which is a Yamaha integrated amp and Technics table. When I listen to CD or tuner I typically have it set around 8 or 9 o'clock on the volume knob. For records that goes up to 10 o'clock at least to achieve roughly the same volume. I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

The faint music coming from the turntable is normal. It's called "needle talk".

I'm exactly like you. CD/FM radio is at 9 o'clock and vinyl is at 10 or 11o'clock

I need another recommendation guys. I have 2 turntables now. I purchased both within a month of each other cause I found a really good deal on the sl-d202.

The other table I have is a pioneer pl-a45d. It has a pickering vx-15 cartridge on there. I not sure which table is the better table but I was planning to put the pickering on the technics and get a better cartridge for the pioneer. Someone by me has a shure premier which I would like to pick up. What do you guys think? What would you guys do?

Thanks!!

Last edited:
just picked up a audio-technica at95e cartridge. might not make a big difference but i wanted to swap out the stanton 505 asap.

Back
Top Bottom