Today's Punk Rock Playlist

Axe Elf

Do we really not have one of these yet?

I eyeballed it. I formally ran a "Search" for it. I couldn't find it.

I apologize if I missed it, but it seems like we should have a forum for Punk, Pop Punk, Street Punk, Hardcore, Post-Punk, whatever.

I'll kick things off with what may be one of the all-time quintessential pop punk songs. I've actually posted this one before, but it deserves another nod as the figurehead for this thread--after all, the only reason for rock and roll in the first place is the girls, right?

The Queers - Punk Rock Girls

I thought there was such already, but perhaps not, in which case kudos, AE. I'll contribute to this. Let's see what I can throw on to get this thread rolling...

Buzzcocks
Singles Going Steady
United Artists (UK)

I haven't listened to this in ages. Now look @ what (do) I get! Shelley was a helluva fine songwriter.

I thought there was such already, but perhaps not, in which case kudos, AE. I'll contribute to this. Let's see what I can throw on to get this thread rolling...

If you can find the previous one, I will gladly withdraw my new one. I did try, I just wasn't able to find it. It's certainly not one that's used very commonly, if it exists.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing what other people would have to contribute to my pool of punk rock awareness--it's one of my favorite areas for discovery, and there are so many small indie outfits to discover!

Buzzcocks
Singles Going Steady
United Artists (UK)

I haven't listened to this in ages. Now look @ what (do) I get! Shelley was a helluva fine songwriter.

Oh hell yes. A favorite of mine as well. We sniggered to "Orgasm Addict" throughout my senior year in high school. And I loved that they used "Ever Fallen In Love" in the Shrek 2 soundtrack (although it was actually the Pete Yorn cover)!

I think I listed Pete Shelley's "Homosapien" in the "Best Solo Album" threads.

If you can find the previous one, I will gladly withdraw my new one. I did try, I just wasn't able to find it. It's certainly not one that's used very commonly, if it exists.

But yeah, I'm looking forward to hearing what other people would have to contribute to my pool of punk rock awareness--it's one of my favorite areas for discovery, and there are so many small indie outfits to discover!

Screw that, let's go with this thread. AK needs an Axe Elf thread. Forward, march! I've already got a couple LPs more lined up to follow Buzzcocks.

Love The Germs. :thmbsp:

I was sitting in with a friend of mine as he hosted his usual 3am Saturday night radio show at Kansas University in the early 80s, and after a few adult smokes, he started playing The Germs' "No God." It took us several seconds to realize that the turntable (yes, this is when they still played records on the radio) was set on 33 1/3 instead of 45 rpm. We were digging it anyway.

I've looked through about half of it, and there is definitely some good stuff posted in that thread, but you're right, it seems to be mostly "classic" punk and very few post-80s offerings.

All the more reason to keep this one going. Let's get some Social Distortion, Minutemen, etc., going. Hell, Uncle Tupelo: Country Punk.

Back
Top Bottom