Henry Rollins' $200K speakers: How punk is(n't) that?

^^^

Over something as mundane as friggin' Bose. Geez, it's almost sad irony that a guy like him walked into that old, broken up and dusty web and got consumed by a slow, clumsy spider.

Guys; people get banned here because of repeated rules violations - repeated after several warnings. Pretty simple and it's all right here;

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=301366

Also, please note this from that page;
The volunteer moderation staff does their very best to enforce these rules fairly. All questions on AK policy, moderation or staff members must be addressed via AK's Private Message function to a moderator or admin, and comments on moderation may never appear in the public boards.

Something to keep in mind too is that you do not see all that has transpired in these circumstances. So let's end the discussion on banned members and get back to the subject of this thread - OK?

Thank You.

Thanks Billfort for all you and the other mods do. Keeps this place the way it needs to be.

Carry on.

^^^ +1

Sorry for the diversion...was only noting that he brought about his own demise and it was a bit of shame.

That's funny... Rollins uses Wilson Alexandrias... Anybody rich enough to afford those is CLEARLY not very-punk... Not anymore at least.

Think about the kind of instruments/gear the classic punk bands used... Sid Vicious was lucky if his amp was even turned on, but even he was not beyond getting a little corrupted, at least by his days in France (Was it France?), but cmon... Wilson Frigging Alexandrias???

Plenty of punks have done well later in life. Mr. Brett owns Epitaph (surely > $300k). I'd bet Greg Graffin and Tim Armstrong own that much in guitars. Iggy isn't exactly at the soup kitchen or panhandling for spare change. I'm sure there are plenty of other examples. Henry has been successful and responsible with his money (enough) and can afford it. I don't begrudge him any of it.

Fact is punk "was" great, but it is a philosophy of youth. As we age we realize concepts like nihilism just don't work in civilized society so you either get with the program or get left behind. Successful people tend to be responsible people and vice versa. I don't see people like Henry who have figured that out as sell outs when they enjoy the fruits of their work or take the opportunities they are presented with to earn a living. I view people like Jello who haven't changed with pity, not to be admired. Besides a $300k stereo system does not equal consumerism, a new $300k system every year does.

And those speakers are butt ugly.

I honestly thought most punk was whiney self-endulgent puerile crap, I was so far out of that demographic by the time the Pistols and others came in I really couldn't relate to it.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I remember the old spoken-word narratives Mr. Rollins used to give. Friend of mine attended one, said it changed his life.

I dunno......perspectives do change as we age. Dees06 I believe nailed it.

I remember the old spoken-word narratives Mr. Rollins used to give. Friend of mine attended one, said it changed his life.

I dunno......perspectives do change as we age. Dees06 I believe nailed it.

There it is, some I loved in the 70's doesn't necessarily get a lot of love now, even tho I was in my 20s moving into my 30s then.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
http://dyingscene.com/news/10-punks-who-are-richer-than-you-think/

Altough I wouldn't consider a few on that list anywhere close to punk (I'm looking at you Billy Joe) :nono:

Ian Mackaye is the only on that surprised me a little, and as noted only because he hasn't done anything really conspicuous with it. It's hard to imagine what he might spend 25 million dollars on, and I'm sure he likes it that way.

With Rollins I feel like in part this fulfills his need to be a pundit on a new topic. I'm sure he enjoys the hell out of the system though.

Only here in good old AK land can a musician get lambasted for spending his hard earned paycheck on audio gear. What would we be saying if it were reported that dear old Mr. Rollins purchased his system from his local Goodwill? I'm sure that would bring out the critics as well.

As for the aesthetic qualities of his speakers of choice, I find the Wilsons to be quite attractive. I'd opt for a different color however. I'll be ordering a pair as soon as my ship arrives in port. It's been a long wait. :sigh:

cubdog

You never know, Henry might think the Wilsons are ugly as hell, have an audio snob stigma he's not particularly keen about and are a little on the expensive side, too... but doesn't give a rats ass because they make the music he enjoys sound absolutely ****ing incredible which is all that matters to him.

Last edited:
Rollins has been a sellout tourist of an ideal his entire career, he talks the talk but that's it. Never been a fan.

Rollins has been a sellout tourist of an ideal his entire career, he talks the talk but that's it. Never been a fan.

Awesome. Then he's just another guy with an expensive system which I suppose doesn't, or at least shouldn't, make a bit of difference to you.

Back
Top Bottom