Equalizer connection question

Yes, the way I understand it, I can ONLY connect ONE source through an EQ, but I would want EVERY source equalized so that wouldn't work...

Are you SURE I can't use an EQ's TAPE IN/OUT as a substitute for my receiver's lack of TAPE LOOP? :scratch2:

The problem is that in order to get the EQ in the signal chain, your receiver has to be set to the "Tape" input. But once it's set to that, then you can only listen to a device (CD player, tuner, whatever) that's hooked up to the EQ. This is because your receiver lacks a tape loop.

Now, since your EQ has both a main input and a tape input (as part of its tape loop), then I believe you could actually connect TWO devices (e.g. CD player and cassette player) to your EQ and listen to either one of them, with EQ, through your receiver - using the EQ to select between the two devices.

But since your tuner is built in to your receiver, and since a turntable requires the special phono input on the receiver, you still could not use the EQ to listen to the radio or to vinyl.

It looks like the tx-8555 has 2 tape loops but if it is too confusing, then just connect the EQ like you normally have it in tape 1, and then just run the CD recorder into the EQ's tape in/outs.

Yes, this works and yes, this is what it is made for.

Most EQ's have a built in tape loop just in case your receiver/amplifier only has one tape loop/monitor. When people wanted to upgrade to an EQ, they didn't loose their one and only tape input/output.

Also, you can listen to radio or vinyl with or without the EQ. It just has to be connected properly. The receiver has all of the switching capabilities that I can see.

It looks like the tx-8555 has 2 tape loops but if it is too confusing, then just connect the EQ like you normally have it in tape 1, and then just run the CD recorder into the EQ's tape in/outs.

Yes, this works and yes, this is what it is made for.

Most EQ's have a built in tape loop just in case your receiver/amplifier only has one tape loop/monitor. When people wanted to upgrade to an EQ, they didn't loose their one and only tape input/output.

Also, you can listen to radio or vinyl with or without the EQ. It just has to be connected properly. The receiver has all of the switching capabilities that I can see.

It has two sets of tape in/out jacks ("Tape" and "VCR/DVR") - but it has no tape monitor or record-select button or control on the front. So there's no actual loop.

Yeah, it has a tape loop! Wouldn't make much sense to have TAPE 1 and TAPE 2 MON if it didn't have a tape loop. A tape loop is just the in/out jacks for tape recording and dubbing. the "out" jacks are line level and get the signal from whatever the buttons are set at........AUX, FM, AM, etc.

Look at the buttons that are marked TAPE 1 and TAPE 2 MON. TAPE 2 MON means Monitor.

You have two tape inputs.

If your EQ is connected to TAPE 2 MON, you can be on FM and have the TAPE 2 MON button pressed at the same time to get FM EQ. Same with phono and AUX.

Let's say you are listening to FM. The FM button has been touched so it is on the FM band. Now if you push (touch) either TAPE button, the FM will still be on FM. If you have an EQ (or tape deck or CD recorder) connected to either one of the tape loops, you will be able to hear FM equalized.

EDIT: I am terribly sorry but when I typed in "Onkyo TX-8555" and saw the one at Amazon.com, it shows in the header to be an 8555 but magnafying on the picture, it shows an 8255. So the 8255 has the tape loop and the 8555 does not but is still sounds hokey as they all should have a tape loop.

Do you have a manual for the 8555? I'm really curious and intriqued now. :yes:

Attachments

• tx8555.jpg
    tx8555.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:
Cade,

The Onkyo TX-8555 has NO TAPE 2/LOOP connection...there is ONLY ONE TAPE IN/OUT, which, for me right now, is connected to my TASCAM CD recorder's ANALOG IN/OUT...

OK, so if that only has one tape in/out, then you can add an EQ there and connect your CD recorder to the tape loop on the EQ.

Are you yelling at me!

It should if you can select let's say FM, then you should be able to also hit the tape 1 button and the FM should be heard with the EQ on and in the EQ position.

LOL, no, not yelling...:D

I still don't understand -- if I hook it up the way we have been discussing, I would press an input on the receiver such as, say, TUNER (as you suggested) or CD...then I would have to press TAPE on the RECEIVER too? This wouldn't make sense because then the receiver would switch over to the TAPE input (which in this case would be connected to the EQ)...

:screwy::screwy::screwy::headscrat:arrow:

That is correct! That is how your basic tape loop works on most equipment. My Kenwood preamp works this way. It uses electronic switching instead of mechanical buttons and I can push "tuner" and then push "tape monitor' and if nothing is plugged into tape 1, then it is silent. But if my EQ is in tape 1, and I press tuner and then tape 1, I hear the tuner coming through the tape loop as intended.

At this point, all I can say is to try it and see what happens. With most equipment, this is how it works. With your receiver, it should also work this way.

Is there some reason the damn thing cannot be hooked up to to see what works and what doesn't???

I have a similar question. I have an old Marantz 2245 receiver. I am using an external preamp that only has 1 input ( L/R) and 1 output (L/R) connection. At this time it only works with my TT. Is there a way I can connect the EQ so the CD player and the FM will also run through the EQ? Thanks!

Last edited:
Connect the equalizer to the tape monitor loop on your receiver. Engage the tape loop and use the tape monitor switch on the equalizer to connect a tape deck. This way all of your source signals can be equalized.

Equalizers have a tape monitor (loop) switch to replace the one they use.

By "external preamp" do you actually mean a "phono preamp"?

Connect the equalizer to the tape monitor loop on your receiver. Engage the tape loop and use the tape monitor switch on the equalizer to connect a tape deck. This way all of your source signals can be equalized.

Equalizers have a tape monitor (loop) switch to replace the one they use.

By "external preamp" do you actually mean a "phono preamp"?
Yes that is what I mean.

The output of the phono preamp should be connected to the receiver's aux input and the equalizer to the tape monitor loop.

Is there any special reason you're not using the onboard phono preamp?

The output of the phono preamp should be connected to the receiver's aux input and the equalizer to the tape monitor loop.

Is there any special reason you're not using the onboard phono preamp?
Yes...The preamp have separate controls for gain and gives a much richer sound than the internal one.
I am not sure what you mean when you say "a tape monitor loop" what it connected to the input on the EQ? Thanks for your help

Your Sansui has connectors on the back labeled tape in and tape out. Those two pair of connectors compromise a tape loop.

It actually has connections for two tape decks.

Hi everyone, I need a bit of help on the lines of this thread. And a newby so please be gentle!

I have an Audio Analogue Maestro Settanta Integrated Amp with tape out and in jacks, no monitor button, and line selection for tape only, or other inputs. I have just inherited an immaculate pair of vintage Kef 107/2 with an Eq Kube, that has a monitor button.

Can the Kube work on the Amp tape in and out for all sources, using the monitor button on the Kube?

Any help gratefully received! I have tried to connect but nervous about frying something so abandoned hope!!

Nigel

Back
Top Bottom