High End Separates.....

Thank you, 4-2-7.

This is the Micro-Seikei RX1500 with ET II arm. Just got a spare arm mount so I can run two arms.

One thing I have found out at least for me, I don't want my tables sounding different. I tend to gravitate to the one I like, if I do that it renders the others as wasted space in my system.

I know it's might seem redundent to some but with my table of choice I can't do hot flips/ flip and spin. I might not just want to listen to one record and the whole side at a time. With two identical tables staged the same I can cue up another record faster, play 12" singels and basicaly DJ without volume or any sound change. The other thing I can do and the main reason is, I can listen to the different mastering and sound quality of the same title records. I can play them side by side and cue one up and the other down fast without any other change but the record. This is the best way for me to test maybe 2,3,4,5 of the same title record.

The third deck pretty much sounds the same but the cartridge is a bit cheeper and I use it to play records straight from the store.

TubeHiFiNut I just want that SP-3 rack mount faceplate.

4-2-7 No Numark mixer for that DJ-ing gig your doing in the sound room?

One thing I have found out at least for me, I don't want my tables sounding different. I tend to gravitate to the one I like, if I do that it renders the others as wasted space in my system.

I know it's might seem redundent to some but with my table of choice I can't do hot flips/ flip and spin. I might not just want to listen to one record and the whole side at a time. With two identical tables staged the same I can cue up another record faster, play 12" singels and basicaly DJ without volume or any sound change. The other thing I can do and the main reason is, I can listen to the different mastering and sound quality of the same title records. I can play them side by side and cue one up and the other down fast without any other change but the record. This is the best way for me to test maybe 2,3,4,5 of the same title record.

The third deck pretty much sounds the same but the cartridge is a bit cheeper and I use it to play records straight from the store.
Nice.....being able to easily compare pressings is a huge benefit.

TubeHiFiNut I just want that SP-3 rack mount faceplate.

4-2-7 No Numark mixer for that DJ-ing gig your doing in the sound room?
Got the silver rackmount from ARC when I got my SP3 20+ years ago.

I still have the original black and gold faceplate, too.

Ah, OK, I'm building rear loaded horns with FR drivers. 200htz and nup throughthe 300B and horns with the low end through the other amp to a couple of subs. When it ones to crossovers I'm kind of lost. So I'm not clear on what would be the best route.

Try keeping it simple like I've kind of found works - run the 300B and horns full-range and just fill in the bottom with those subs. I experimented with a bunch of slopes, low-pass frequencies and level adjustments (on the woofers only!) until I got to a place where I couldn't even tell they were on - until I turned them off and bottom dropped out. :)

The key for me was getting the full-range speakers right first and not messing with them - just add a little fill on the bottom.

Less is more.

I saw and heard Mike Morrow's 'high end' system a few years ago that was valued at around $200,000.00. I think that might qualify.

My 'high end' system consists of either a:

VTA ST-120 amp, Cary SL-100 preamp, Cambridge Audio Azur 651C CD player, Cambridge Audio 651P phono preamp, Technics SL-1200 MkII turntable with an IsoPlat Mat and Denon DL-110 cartridge driving my Polk Audio LSiM 703's.

Or a McIntosh MC2105 and C36 driving JBL L100T3's with a Technics SL-1100.

Or a Yamaha CA-2010 CT1010 system...

...all slightly less than Mike Morrow's system.

Try keeping it simple like I've kind of found works - run the 300B and horns full-range and just fill in the bottom with those subs. I experimented with a bunch of slopes, low-pass frequencies and level adjustments (on the woofers only!) until I got to a place where I couldn't even tell they were on - until I turned them off and bottom dropped out. :)

The key for me was getting the full-range speakers right first and not messing with them - just add a little fill on the bottom.

Less is more.

Makes sense, thanks!

On the bottom of the rack is a Phase Linear 700B which is currently out for White Oak mods

You doing the full monty or just minor upgrades? If you do the full blown WO deal, pretty sure your other amps are going to collect dust :smoke:

Looks like all your other amps combined do not have the same power the WOPL1000 will have. Depending on how hot a tranny you got, your looking at about 525wpc of the quietest regarding noisefloor but one of the most dynamic amps around. Looking at a damping factor of over 1000 also so you will have total control of your woofers even at volume levels that will make birds drop out of the sky from the SPL's!

Last edited:
You doing the full monty or just minor upgrades? If you do the full blown WO deal, pretty sure your other amps are going to collect dust :smoke:

Looks like all your other amps combined do not have the same power the WOPL1000 will have. Depending on how hot a tranny you got, your looking at about 525wpc of the quietest regarding noisefloor but one of the most dynamic amps around. Looking at a damping factor of over 1000 also so you will have total control of your woofers even at volume levels that will make birds drop out of the sky from the SPL's!

I have never heard any of the WOPL amps - most of my speakers are high efficiency and don't need anywhere near that kind of power - but I would welcome the opportunity to hear one some day on an appropriate pair of speakers.

No, it's a far cry beyond minor upgrades. I'm very fortunate in that I have a local tech (AKer Mondialfan/Kevin) who plays in the big leagues and was very enthusiastic about taking this on. He's conversed with Joe at WO though admits that Joe is rather protective of his circuit and not very accommodating when it comes to simply "talking shop" (perhaps even a bit deceptive...a maneuver to protect his product, perhaps :scratch2:). Kevin is conducting a total redesign of the circuitry with full comp conversion and some WO bits but for now holding off on the WO back plane boards. However, the stock back plane boards are being totally reworked and details of the build can be found here.

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/soli...00b-refurb-full-complementary-conversion.html

Last edited:
I have never heard any of the WOPL amps - most of my speakers are high efficiency and don't need anywhere near that kind of power - but I would welcome the opportunity to hear one some day on an appropriate pair of speakers.

I'm rather curious to hear what it sounds like with my HE speakers....as well as my more "demanding" models, of course. :scratch2:

Last edited:
Oh I just put this together today:D

Well at least the MC2300 that I bought Sunday. This was Popa John Creach's 2300 amp that he started using on stage in 1971 with the Jefferson Airplane, Hot Tuna, Greatful Dead and his solo carear as The Popa John Creach Band.:thmbsp:

List of this sytsem

SOTA Star Sapphire Turntables x3, Flagship in 1985
SOTA Phono Head Amps x3, Designed by John Curl, Flagship in 1985
SME Series V Arms x 2, Flagship today and for many years.
SME 309 x1, good enough
Sumiko Blackbirds x2, Close to Flagship
Sumiko BP EVO III, Just a great budget cart

McIntosh D100 for DAC Duty Only, Flagship till a few months ago
Audioengine D2 for WiFi Duty Only, 24 bit wifi, Flagship
Marantz PMD580 Digital Recorder, Flagship

McIntosh C100 Preamp, Flagship from 1998-2002

McIntosh MC275 Mk VI, x2, Nuff Said
McIntosh MC501 x2, Flagship SS 2002-2012, Well unless you want some really crazy power.
McIntosh MC2300, Flagship 1971-1978, This thing sounds Awesome!!! It has been serviced it whole life, and just got a check up and is spec.

JBL L250, Flagship for home use
Martin Logan Sequell II, ?
Velodyne FSR-18, Flagship years?

All hooked up with
Kimber Kable, Audioquest and Tributaries, XLR, RCA and Speaker Cables.

There you have it, this system spands 44 years 1971-2015, there is tons of equipment that will blow it away as high end and in sound quality I'm sure. But I don't own any of that crap so I get to listen to my crap....:D

That is, without a doubt, high-end. Nice stuff, and nice room.

+1

I would love to hear a system of this calibre. Also, it would be nice to own one.

WOW

I love Cobalt Blue

:banana:

I am very pleased with my rig at this point, the Quicksilvers took my Modified Magnapan MGIIIa's to a new level, and ended my search for a pair of MG3.6R's.

Thank you for the positive comment, but your gear is to be envied, very nice indeed. I would love to hear it!
Regards,
Jim

Did some one say Tube Monoblocks? Here is a pic of my Quicksilvers in my Quad amp main Rig. (Triamped Magnapan MGIIIa's and Stereo Subwoofers)
Regards,
Jim

Wow, that's a lot of amplifier!

I remember lusting after Quicksilvers when I got my CJ years ago - I heard them in the same system as the CJ (MV75A-1) and preferred them but couldn't afford. I did try the CJ on the Altecs (meh..) but there are a few p-p amps I'd like to try yet and Quicksilvers are one of them (and maybe a Mac 225).

Cool system Jim - I'd love to hear it.

Wow, that's a lot of amplifier!

I remember lusting after Quicksilvers when I got my CJ years ago - I heard them in the same system as the CJ (MV75A-1) and preferred them but couldn't afford. I did try the CJ on the Altecs (meh..) but there are a few p-p amps I'd like to try yet and Quicksilvers are one of them (and maybe a Mac 225).

Cool system Jim - I'd love to hear it.

My door is always open, If you get to Baltimore or Washington DC call me I'm only 40 minutes from both.
Regards,
Jim

Loved Washington when I spend some time there years ago - gotta get back with the kids for a vacation. Could happen so be warned! :)

Let me know if y'all ever get out west. Quicksilver is in Stockton, CA and it would give me a good excuse to take a couple of days off to go visit.

Back
Top Bottom