Picked up a JVC vr-5535x

50watts

off craigslist for $30. very clean..I had a Toshiba with a bad left channel I wrote about here a few days ago, well I storage that for now. This JVC one works:music:.

Not much online about it, anyone here with any experience with JVC and that model or line of receivers, I think it's from 1974. Any speaker suggestions?

Attachments

• JVC vr 5535x.jpg
    JVC vr 5535x.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 68
Nice looking medium power unit. Speakers would depend on your anticipated use.

What? Did I buy a pinto or something? lol Is this receiver just not a conversation piece?
If I can't get positive replies i'll take negatives, what wrong with it?
The looks
The components inside
The sound (or lack of) quality
It's a JVC

I know it's just not here, not much on the web and last post here was back in 2008

I even posted a picture, lol

Last edited:
specs look good,
listen to it and tell us if it has good sound quality.

Right now I have it hooked up to JBL's N24, small bookshelf speakers in a small bedroom. Sound is very clear and warm(?), has lots of power. It even has a pre-out..and looks like Banana plugs...

All in the ears.. sounds like an impedance match with your choice of speakers in that 'space'. enjoy... :D what good sound is all about.

JVC's of that era were sleepers. While they worked great, and had nice features like the SEA tone controls, they couldn't compete with the Sansui's and Pioneers of the time. I have my first stereo I bought while in Thailand at the BX. It was a JVC 4VR-5445 quad unit (with front and rear SEA equilizers). Except for some bad driver transistors in the early 80's it still works great. While I did do a restore on it a few years ago, it was and is still a great unit to have, plenty of power for normal use, and reasonably priced.
While these units only produce ~25 to 30WRMS per channel, it is powerfull enough to provide sound for a Brooklyn Block Party as I did around 1977!!

I actually have been using another 4VR-5445 that I picked up and restored a year ago at my beach club cabana and it is performing exceptionally well.
Good luck with it

Just picked one up for $25 at a garage sale. Needs a little cleaning but the veneer is about 8/10 and unit powers on with all working lights. Anyone ever come to a conclusion what a fair price for these are and what to expect out of it?

I think the big issue is that they're a couple years early to be a super-powered unit, so people aren't as interested. It's probably pretty decent quality for its era.

Because demand and power are low, it probably won't sell for a packet, but it should be an enjoyable unit to actually listen to.

Back
Top Bottom