How loud do you normally listen to music?

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
loud for me is all the amp has but it is driving low efficiency speakers so maybe 100dB and a little more.

Normal is well below that. Unless I'm engaged in serious listening, I'm probably somewhere in the 70s.

I use earplugs anytime I'm using loud tools, lawnmowers, blowers and such or as needed professionally.

Let me add this...most will listen at different volumes, depending so I've put in normal and loud levels. Let's see both if you know them.

Last edited:
90-95 dB peak, measured at listening position. 80-85-90 dB otherwise.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Really depends on mood, time of day, room, and situation.

Mid 70's a lot. Maybe 60's for background music.

80's when I'm working out or focusing on the music totally.

90-95 peak if I'm just wanting to crank some Rock for whatever reason.

Normally low to mid 70's, but on a rare occasion into the mid 90's. My wife will usually turn it up higher than I do.

I am kind of surprised by the low listening levels many of you/us manifest. 60-65 dB is, I think, in the realm "background music" realm. That's certainly good for preserving one's good hearing, but seems a tad soft to me for "serious" listening.

PLEASE note that this isn't a critique, merely an observation!

common_sounds.gif

source: https://www.osha.gov/dts/osta/otm/noise/health_effects/soundpropagation.html

Last edited:
I know two AKers that listen at very low levels. One at a level that leaves my ears reaching out for the music. Somewhere in the 60-70dB range. The other is maybe up to the low 70s.

Desired volume changes with experience whether that life brought issues when listening louder or others that don't want to hear the music play among many other reasons for this change. I believe this is the case with these two members. Enjoying music at lower volumes just works for them.

If I'm not actively listening, I go 60 to 70dB, and when listening critically, I'm usually 80 to 85dB....according to my SPL meter.

I know two AKers that listen at very low levels. One at a level that leaves my ears reaching out for the music. Somewhere in the 60-70dB range. The other is maybe up to the low 70s.

Desired volume changes with experience whether that life brought issues when listening louder or others that don't want to hear the music play among many other reasons for this change. I believe this is the case with these two members. Enjoying music at lower volumes just works for them.

Am I one of the above?? At any rate, I do a LOT of listening at what I'd estimate to be around 70dB. I'd prefer to bump it up a bit(Blue's description of reaching out for the rest of the music is apt), but am trying to balance the positive effects of music with listening for grandchildren or other moving hazards in the rest of the house. For listening gatherings, or my own serious listening, I try to keep it under 100dB, but not too far below. I strive for what I'd describe as live show levels, maybe a bit back from the stage/PA.

No Tom, not you. I know you and most of the others have generously placed the volume control in such a position that all can hear the music when you guys drop by. We need to do that again.

I tend to listen at the level the music requires.From Simon and Garfunkel to AC-DC Hells Bells.I am trying to time it that my hearing,heart,lungs and liver have had enough at about the same time.:D

Back
Top Bottom