How loud do you normally listen to music?

System, speakers or both?

Srajan is saying if you keep turning the volume up to hear more then your system lacks
resolution.

I agree, with the caveat that it may not be the entire system but it could be. Typically I think though that it's typically only a component or two. It might be an amplifier, preamplifier or speaker issue. I've noticed in recent years that while listening to someone's new speakers or auditioning them in a store or elsewhere that often I'll be thinking that it sounds okay and then they'll crank it up and say listen to that! Now they're sounding more impressive. Often times these are expensive speakers played through high end systems that, IMO at least, should sound great at any level, not only on loud! I've begun evaluating speakers for my own use at low levels and if they don't pass that test, there's no point in going on to the "crank it up" stage for me.

This is an interesting thread, sorry I can't tell you what levels I listen at either at low or high levels as I have no meters to measure it. I do tend to turn it up pretty loud when I'm alone or with someone with similar musical interests, be it SRV, Dire Straits, Diana Krall, Nora Jones or Frank Zappa, in addition to low level listening, often late at night when my wife's in bed.

My tastes are not mainstream nor is my gear.

With many acoustic small group jazz recordings I may not go louder than 65 dbs.

My search for maximum resolution of detail at low levels ended with flea watt SET amps driving highly efficient full range single drivers.

My tastes are not mainstream nor is my gear.

With many acoustic small group jazz recordings I may not go louder than 65 dbs.

My search for maximum resolution of detail at low levels ended with flea watt SET amps driving highly efficient full range single drivers.

And that is fine, and understandable.:yes: This forum is about what brings joy to each member, not what is good or bad!
Regards,
Jim

In my younger days, I listened louder than I do now.

The speakers I treasure (Lowthers, Quad ESL-57s, Martin-Logan CLS, JBL 4430s, Rogers LS3/5a) are all high resolution reproducers. I don't have to turn things up to 100db+ to hear what's going on, hence most of my (non-background) listening is in the 80db +/- range.

It's still fun, every so often, to kick out the jams and listen to the JBLs in the 90db +/- range for short periods.

loud for me is all the amp has but it is driving low efficiency speakers so maybe 100dB and a little more.

Normal is well below that. Unless I'm engaged in serious listening, I'm probably somewhere in the 70s.

I use earplugs anytime I'm using loud tools, lawnmowers, blowers and such or as needed professionally.

Let me add this...most will listen at different volumes, depending so I've put in normal and loud levels. Let's see both if you know them.

Moderate Volume Levels (which is MOST of my listening) -- 85dB to 90dB

Disco/Party/Concert Hall Levels (when I'm CRANKING) -- Mid 90's dB to Low 100's dB (at Bass Thumping/Room Shaking Levels)

Late Night Volume Levels (Midnight Friday's/Saturday's) -- 60's dB to 70's dB

With Stand-Mounted KEF Reference 102 Speaker System with Adcom GFA-545 MkII Power Amplifier (100 Watts Per Channel @ 8 Ohms/150 Watts Per Channel @ 4 Ohms).

--Charles--

I sit about 3.7m away from my speakers and just measured a range of 68-72dB for normal listening. Mid 80dB for my traditional LOUD setting. CRANKING the meter hit 88dB as average peak at 95dB, this may happen for 2-3 songs of an album.

This is using an app on my phone.

90-93 db measured at my listening position.
It seems relatively "loud" to me at that level.
I probably cranked it much higher in my younger days.

I normally listen between 75-85db at my listening position. I rarely go above that. If I do it isn't for long. Otherwise the tinnitus starts acting up and then I have trouble sleeping.

I should have listen to that old timer telling me to wear ear plugs when riding motorcycles.:eek:

Used to crank it loud. Now my average SPL runs at around 75dB. Occasionally crank it up to maybe 85dB on my favorite songs. And down to 65-70dB for background.

I'm presently using a 20 wpc amp to drive speakers with a sensitivity of around 91-92, in a large 600sf room. Over the past several months, I've never heard it driven into clipping.

loud for me is all the amp has but it is driving low efficiency speakers so maybe 100dB and a little more.

Normal is well below that. Unless I'm engaged in serious listening, I'm probably somewhere in the 70s.

I use earplugs anytime I'm using loud tools, lawnmowers, blowers and such or as needed professionally.

Let me add this...most will listen at different volumes, depending so I've put in normal and loud levels. Let's see both if you know them.

I seldom go above 70DB on peaks. doubt I could stand listening at the volumes you do. I find it wholly unpleasurable.

I know two AKers that listen at very low levels. One at a level that leaves my ears reaching out for the music. Somewhere in the 60-70dB range. The other is maybe up to the low 70s.

Desired volume changes with experience whether that life brought issues when listening louder or others that don't want to hear the music play among many other reasons for this change. I believe this is the case with these two members. Enjoying music at lower volumes just works for them.

well now you know 3 although this is the first I have heard that this is an especially low level. :scratch2:

70db from my listening position. My sound meter reader is kept handy at all times.

Through experience, I've found that 70 db average (peaks above/quite passages below) is good volume level for me to enjoy music.

Last edited:
70db - 75db from my listening position depending on music.
Sometimes 85db when I'm emotional but mostly 70db for everyday musical pleasure.

Audio Level Rule(r)..

It highly depends on whether "the wife" is home... OR NOT... :lmao:

Audio Level Rule(r):

1- Wife not home = :banana: .. Strato-listening levels.

2- Wife on the way home = :para: .. Moderating listening levels.

3- Wife home = "Hey Babe"....! :ntwrthy: ... Classical listening "elevator music" type levels.

Hey... don't laugh :D .. It works for me!

I don't think I ever use the same volume setting. It depends on the type of music, the particular source material, the time of day, Where I'm at, the mood I'm in, and who I'm with among other things.

Usually 70 to 80 dB when the wife is home. 80 to 90 dB this week and next while she is out of town. I even set up a system in the kitchen while she is away since I have to do the cooking and cleaning up afterward.

Back
Top Bottom