The Mighty AU-X1

I have the AU-G99X, lesser than this one, but still a beast. When Mattsd restored it, couldn't find suitable filter caps, so left the stock ones in.

Only amp I know that seems to swell in power substantially without losing anything. Beastly strong.

This one linked in your op is gorgeous.

IMHO,best sounding Sansui amp ever manufactured. All the production/development budget went solely on SQ alone. No other Sansui amp could you really state the same about... not even those posh lookin' 90's ones :thmbsp:

Did they come pristine like that? or did somebody add an air brush?.. Not rubbing the look.. just that compared to stuff in pics I don't see in my usual trolling.. ..
.... like bent stuff and mangled toasted etc.. pics. fried pc's.. knashing of teeth stuff. no silver chassis? :smoke:

Thanks to all for the positive comments. I feel very fortunate to own this beast.

I had originally posted this in the Solid State section so that AK'ers that don't frequent the Sansui forum could see this wonderful example of a top notch (even today) solid state amplifier. I wanted to share what many of us here already know. The X1 really was the Tour de Force of Sansui engineering.

Anyone who tells you that these amplifiers had great specs but did not have great sound quality either has never auditioned one or does not know what they are talking about. Plain and simple.

Beautiful ! Is this yours? I saved all the photos.:yes:

Thanks. Yes, this is my unit.

It looks like the Darth Vader of amplifiers. The force is strong in this one...

Darth Vader is exactly what came to mind the first time I looked inside an AU-717 but after seeing the X1 in the flesh I'll have to reconsider.

Looks like the AU-919. The preamp power supply and caps are massive.

Pictures don't really convey the true size of the X1. Over the weekend I'll take and post some pictures of it side by side with a 717 (same physical dimensions as the 919, 819,719, etc.) to give viewers a better idea.

IMHO,best sounding Sansui amp ever manufactured. All the production/development budget went solely on SQ alone. No other Sansui amp could you really state the same about... not even those posh lookin' 90's ones :thmbsp:

That's also how Tom Frantzen feels about the X1. I'll agree with you both. It sounds sublime :thmbsp:

Did they come pristine like that? or did somebody add an air brush?..

Heh, funny. The pictures actually did come out pretty good didn't they? I took them this past Saturday on the floor of my sunlit family room with a plain old iPhone 5. Not bad for an amateur huh?

It's as pristine in real life as it is in the pictures.

Incredible amp and condition. What is the story or did you share that in the other thread?

Hi Vintagear,

Congratulation on the purchase of this rare equipement. How did you manage to buy this wonderfull piece,it look very new and pristine. Have you tried comparing with your AU 717,Looking for your audition comment.

As promised, here are some pictures to give you all an idea of the size of this behemoth. The unit on the right is an AU-717 (same size as the 719, 819 & 919).

I've been lusting for and looking for an AU-919 for a few years, I came across a few but they did not meet my standards. I even prepared in advance by purchasing a mint condition 919 face-plate in the event I located a clean/working 919 (with original outputs), this way I could jump on it even if the face-plate was less than perfect.

As hard as it has been to find the right 919, I never thought I'd ever see an X1. So when I came across this hen's tooth I did not hesitate to act especially because of the pristine original condition it's in. I figured, if it's unmolested and still working, that's a good sign.

Yes, I know there are plenty of risks, black flag nightmares and such but hey- you don't live if you don't take risks right? I haven't really put this bad boy through a real workout to see what it can do. I'll wait until it is brought up to snuff by a qualified tech before I do that.

So far, it has everything you would expect and then some. Power, dynamics, clarity, effortlessness all while building on the clear neutral sound of the x19 line (I have a 719).

There's no doubt, the AU-X1 really is a special amp.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for these great pictures Vintagear - they show very well what a big case the AU-X1 has. Reading the dimensions from a spec' sheet is one thing but seeing your pictures is another.

Congrats indeed! It really is that special (folks tend to forget that it's matching tuner was one of the top 3 tuners ever made still to this day).
Make sure it's always well ventilated,and never leave it switched on when not in use :thmbsp:

Back
Top Bottom