B&W 683 s2

Value? After thinking about it for awhile I have have to say yes. I've listened to them at length over the past several months. The build quality is great (they weigh nearly 60 pounds). They have advanced drivers with trickle down technology from the higher end B&W speakers. They image like crazy, have very good tonality and are dynamic as all get out.

Am I fan?:banana: You bet! Can't wait to have a pair in my system in the near future.:drool:

Another great value out there now is the Monitor Audio Silver 8. I really enjoyed those too when I heard them

I've had a predecessor 603 S2s for like 15 years. Bought them for fronts in Yamaha RXV -xxxx (couple of different ones) HT where they were great and as well as the Yamaha could do 2 channel but I didn't use that much. Now that I've gone through a Peachtree Nova 65 and Mac amps w/ CJ pre for serious 2 channel, I think I get the 'fatigue' from listening too long, and I did pair them w/ a Sunfire sub too. I do have a harsh listening area - tile flooring w/ medium size rug in a 34x17x8 room - so that might factor in. I've been using Timeframes I got from N8 last few weeks as a comparison. Hope that helps....not trying to be critical as I am still using them for HT.

going to audition/advise a pair this coming weekend... Not for myself

seems like I'm going smaller lately...

family member is interested

going to audition/advise a pair this coming weekend... Not for myself

seems like I'm going smaller lately...

family member is interested

Looking forward to your impressions. I've auditioned it many times over the last year or so with integrated amps from Cambridge, Marantz, Prima Luna and Arcam with watt ratings between 70-105 watts. They've always sounded very good to great and never failed to be musical and easy to listen too.

Just now offering my thoughts... been about a month since I listened to a pair

A lot of speaker for the money, very good SQ with hefty bass - Too much speaker for my main listening room. IMO, one one need a large room

Even the audition room at Best Buy was too small

Best guess is these would sound very nice in the proper room and with good SS frontend

Last edited:
Just now offering my thoughts... been about a month since I listened to a pair

A lot of speaker for the money, very good SQ with hefty bass - Too much speaker for my main listening room. IMO, one one need a large room

Even the audition room at Best Buy was too small

Best guess is these would sound very nice in the proper room and with good SS frontend

Thanks for your thoughts. I appreciate it. It's always to good to get other perspectives. I still think they are the ones for me. Although the new Elac Debut F6 has caught my attention. Word is they will be out by the end of the year.

My room is reasonably large at 26x22 feet. I'm going to give them another listen soon and hope to compare them to the Monitor Audio Silver 8.

I have the 683 series 1 from B&W. Yes, they love a crapload of SS power. I run a tube linestage that outputs Class A into a 200 wpc Class A amp. I cannot imagine these B&Ws sounding any better in my large room.

Bumping up. It's been a nearly two year journey for new speakers but was finally able to make a decision/purchase. The Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2 had impressed me from the first listen and I went with them. I listened to a lot of great speakers. Really some good stuff out there for under $2k.

Anyway, just excited and thought I'd share the news. I always enjoy reading posts from people who have gotten new equipment.

Cheers,DSC04805.jpg

Reactions: JAK
I'm really considering floorstanders for stereo music and home theater as I don't like subwoofers especially for music,
The room is 4.5x7meter, what do you think is a minimum size room for the 683?

I would say 12x15feet (3.5x4.5meter) minimum. My room is on the large size at 23x26feet (8x7meter) and they fill it well. At 4.5x7meters (approx 15x23feet) I would go with floorstanders if I wasn't going to use a sub. Like you I don't like subs for music either.

Hmmm, I wouldn't mind some new B&W's one of these days. Not sure they'd be a good matchup with my little Yaqin MC10T amp though..... Then again, the DM16's aren't particularly efficient and sound great.

Bumping up. It's been a nearly two year journey for new speakers but was finally able to make a decision/purchase. The Bowers and Wilkins 683 S2 had impressed me from the first listen and I went with them. I listened to a lot of great speakers. Really some good stuff out there for under $2k.

Anyway, just excited and thought I'd share the news. I always enjoy reading posts from people who have gotten new equipment.

Cheers,View attachment 647464

Very old post but I’m sure you are still happy with them. I ran those speakers for a couple years and they were very good. I was using in Adcom GFA 5800 at 250 W per channel for power

Oh yes, I'm still happy with them. I'm actually enjoying them even more these days. When I first got them I was using an excellent 50 watt integrated, the Arcam A19. But with my large room the Arcam struggled when tasked with going beyond low/moderate volume.

When I switched to the 200 watt NuPrime IDA-16 properly driving the 683 S2 was no longer an issue. I am completely happy with them and look forward to many years of great music

Of course be into this HiFi hobby of ours I also look forward to putting an even more powerful amp on them. That will come in due course and until then I'm just enjoying them to no end.:)

Thanks for the post.

Cheers,

Scott
Very old post but I’m sure you are still happy with them. I ran those speakers for a couple years and they were very good. I was using in Adcom GFA 5800 at 250 W per channel for power

Reactions: JAK
Back
Top Bottom