Akai Who Has It

11952902_1478491085808595_7444896070289808863_o.jpg

I have an Akai AA-1200 that I bought in about 1977. It a powerhouse that still works great and sees regular use!

I own quite a lot of AKAI gear... never have been disappointed in any of it. It tends to be very reliable too.

Yep... I got this kit that I love very much. I'm on to lookout to find a matching equalizer and tape deck to complete the kit. I'm not settle yet on speakers. Right now a pair of Energy 3.1e is hooked up to it. Pretty decent sound but I would love to find something from the same era...

Attachments

• AKAI.jpg
    AKAI.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 153
My only Akai (AA-1030) in pristine condition was just returned to me from a friend that i gave it to. It went silent on him for for some reason.

Akai is very underrated for some reason, just like JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, TEAC. Local people from my country is only interested in brand names, very few people like vintage stuff. This my main reason why I returned to this forum. Here I see stuff that I'm interested in.

I've always had a soft spot for Japanese Classics. I simply can't resist walking past a classic amplifier or speaker.

Last edited:
Akai is very underrated for some reason, just like JVC, Kenwood, Pioneer, TEAC. Local people from my country is only interested in brand names, very few people like vintage stuff. This my main reason why I returned to this forum. Here I see stuff that I'm interested in.

I've always had a soft spot for Japanese Classics. I simply can't resist walking past a classic amplifier or speaker.

I've heard that about Akai's old gear. Reminds me of Sherwood or Sansui. You mention any of those brands to someone these days who ISN'T big into hi-fi gear, and they give you a look like you just dangled a fresh turd under their nose.

I have an old 1710W reel-to-reel playback/recording deck from 1968 that will eventually be integrated into my main system with the Fisher 800C and alnico Wharfedale W90's. Slowly trying to put together a vintage 'synergy champ' setup comprised of all tube-era gear that goes really-well together.

Last edited:
I have an Akai AM 2600 with matching tuner AT 2600. Awesome amp. I also own an earlier Akai AA 5210 db. Not very powerful but makes a sweet preamp!

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I picked up this lowly AA-R31 at a garage sale for no apparent reason other than it was cheap. Turns out it works perfectly and sounds way better than it has a right to. It's the least valuable receiver I own but far from the worst sounding.

picture.php

I've owned several 7 in. Akai r2r's and a nice cassette and they all left me for one reason or another. Recently a gx-255 followed me home.Always liked their build quality

2i2a6bl.jpg

I'm in love with my akai. Build very well, had very little issues.
Am in no way an audiophile and have never experience a really high-end system but to me the setup sounds very nice.
After some buying and selling for 3 years i want to settle down with the better 70s components.
Managed to track down the original oak veneer cabinet for it with glass door.

Right now i have:
AT2600 tuner
AM2800 integrated amp
GXC730D and GXC760D cassette decks
AP-003 Turntable
The extra space has been filled by an 80s CD-32 cd player.

Speakers are SW-135 that i got for €10 and restored to mint :)
Seriously overpowered by the 80w amp but they can take it not going to loud :p

2zyem2r.jpg

Today i just sold my previous aa1050 receiver with €20 profit, and as of today am selling my GX-270D r2r to finance my search for a GX-650D.
And i hope to see a AP006 direct drive turntable and SW-170 speakers in the future.

Last edited:
Have this baby.ap-206 .bought new in 1978 I believe and other than new stylus has never been touched and works beautifully.

I've collected several Akai gear recently;

Akai AM-69 Amp
Akai AP-001 Turntable
Akai AP-206 Turntable
Akai GX-260 R2R
Akai SW-156 Speakers
Akai GX-730D Deck

All of them restored, recapped, aligned..
Sounds marvelous...

Back
Top Bottom