H.H Scott Stereomaster 399...I'm in love!

Guest108

So I purchased this after getting some hits on BarterTown from a WTB ad. It's completely mint. All original everything, super clean chassis and faceplate. Beveled case. A dream...

I loved it so much, that I spared it the Roy 'I'll work on it' treatment. I knew I wanted it restored and boy was it the right choice.

I took it to AEA (Analog Engineering Associates). No association. I recently found these guys here on AK in another restore thread. Ken and Lloyd did epic work on my Scott Stereomaster 399, it's literally a museum piece now and sounds incredible. Cool gents too, so helpful and friendly. While Ken was the lead designer of some epic solid state amps for AEA (he has pictures of Eric Clapton and 18 year old Tom Petty recording while using his amps--freakishly cool!) he focuses on tube audio now. Lloyd does very good physical resto work. I'm so lucky to have them nearby. All that to say...well, just look...and apologies ahead for the crappy iPhone pictures.

f490390b062bcc936edca97efb46f4fb.jpg

d8a52578530fa0c3f28a6e9b0e082929.jpg

9c05fff26e22a2bac619d8ff4c120bf4.jpg

127882a193f2d192c3a20e3bbf5ab0e9.jpg

1d071288fc73ad6034e63eafa992be04.jpg

I'm thrilled with my vintage bedroom setup and so impressed with Scott gear.. My wife loves it too, huge plus! Gotta love this hobby.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Beautiful set-up you have there!I run a complete HHscott tube system as my second system.I like seperates so went with the LK-150 tube amp with matching LC-21 tube preamp and LT-110 tube tuner.Ive often looked at the 399 as I like to run a tube reciever in my bedroom for late night talk shows/music listening before bed.
Looks like you have period correct speakers as well,Altecs?I love the high end vintage speakers,especially with horns...tubes and horns,is there anything better sounding...not to my ears!

hunter

Well, this is a little spooky. Can you say "Parallel Universe"?

This is our guest bedroom. Hmmmmm.:)

attachment.php

Anyway, congrats on your beautiful 399. I think it's a fairly small club but we have Northern and Southern Cal covered now. :thmbsp:

Attachments

• IMG_0819.jpg
    IMG_0819.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 353
Love the 399! I want one now... The dials and the (em84?) strength meters... Vintage lights!!! Beautiful!! ...and the Altecs... WOW!

attachment.php

Anyway, congrats on your beautiful 399. I think it's a fairly small club but we have Northern and Southern Cal covered now. :thmbsp:

That's awesome. The Altecs I have are the Iconic Valencia A's. Basically very early Valencia A's. 16ohm green/emerald drivers. Fabric grilles (but I think they sound better open, hence no grills). They look great in person, but all the light comes in through the window so they never look 'right' in pictures. Crazy synergy with these two. I think they sound better with it than any amp I've tried.

Love the 399! I want one now... The dials and the (em84?) strength meters... Vintage lights!!! Beautiful!! ...and the Altecs... WOW!

Thanks, Biscuithead. This amp has been in my bucket list for a long time. It all sounds so good, it's one of those times you feel like 'nailed it' and 'worth the wait' really apply. Ken at AEA also upgraded the phono stage, so my records sound extra good though the TD-160 with a Grado Reference Master 1.

Last edited:
Messin with the biscuit here. :)

attachment.php

Attachments

• HHScott 399 013.jpg
    HHScott 399 013.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 286
Congrats on a fabulous receiver. I'm glad to own my Scott 399 - it is wonderful aesthetically and in terms of sound quality.

I may have to try some vintage speakers ...

attachment.php

What do you have under the feet?

OP this tread of yours could defineately go into "Vintage Gear Performance" forum.
Your HHscott 399 was their totl early 60's tube receiver and the Altecs are close enough to make the grade as well.Im sure the phono section on the 399 is top notch as my HHscott LC-21 is great.
hunter

EL84's get nice and warm on the unit. I removed the metal grill cover in the back just to help it air out, it seemed to help. The receiver is definitely going to chill during warm days...just in case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I purchased this after getting some hits on BarterTown from a WTB ad. It's completely mint. All original everything, super clean chassis and faceplate. Beveled case. A dream...

I loved it so much, that I spared it the Roy 'I'll work on it' treatment. I knew I wanted it restored and boy was it the right choice.

I took it to AEA (Audio Engineering Associates). No association. I recently found these guys here on AK in another restore thread. Ken and Lloyd did epic work on my Scott Stereomaster 399, it's literally a museum piece now and sounds incredible. Cool gents too, so helpful and friendly. While Ken was the lead designer of some epic solid state amps for AEA (he has pictures of Eric Clapton and 18 year old Tom Petty recording while using his amps--freakishly cool!) he focuses on tube audio now. Lloyd does very good physical resto work. I'm so lucky to have them nearby. All that to say...well, just look...and apologies ahead for the crappy iPhone pictures.

f490390b062bcc936edca97efb46f4fb.jpg

d8a52578530fa0c3f28a6e9b0e082929.jpg

9c05fff26e22a2bac619d8ff4c120bf4.jpg

127882a193f2d192c3a20e3bbf5ab0e9.jpg

1d071288fc73ad6034e63eafa992be04.jpg

I'm thrilled with my vintage bedroom setup and so impressed with Scott gear.. My wife loves it too, huge plus! Gotta love this hobby.

:yikes::banana: I just showed this pic to my wife, I said look at this bedroom system!. We're not putting a system in our bedroom, which I said, I know, just admiring your fabulous system!

Simply stunning!

I too love my Scott tube amp.

Glenn

Congrats!

AEA restored my Scott 299A and I can say that they are the best! Highly recommended. My Scott runs Klipsch KG4's and the sound is heavenly. I'ave also got the 350B tuner. Love this system!

Really cool setup! I have yet to hear some HH Scott stuff, I'm sure it's better than anything available today, tube or otherwise!

Stereomaster 388

Hi Roy,

Congrats on the restoration. I have a solid state Scott receiver, the 388, that needs recapping and resetting of DC offset and bias. Do you know if AEA works on solid state gear, and how I would get in touch with them?

Thank you,

Paul

Back
Top Bottom