Sansui 9090DB How do I clean the selector switch?

escorial

Hi,
I was wondering if there were any instructions/videos on how to get at my selector switch to clean it. Would like to give that a try before I take it in to a shop.

My right speaker cuts in and out or is weak from time to time, if I move the selector switch a little it will come back on and work for quite a while or not;-)

TIA,

I like to spray the selector with straight contact cleaner without lubricants. If you remove the bottom cover you should be able to get a good look at the switch. A product like CRC QD cleaner would work well. Spray the switch while exercising it back and forth. You need to get the spray onto the contacts on each of the phenolic wafers.

My reason for not using lubricants such as deoxit is the worry that the lube will penetrate the rivet holding the contact to the phenolic and loosen the rivet. I'm probably being paranoid and it wouldn't hurt anything but I've never had a problem with the above method. Anyone use deoxit?

Your post would be seen and responded to better if you started your own thread in the forum.
There are tons of threads on how to use the deoxit products, that switch is readily accessed if you remove the top cover, with the unit unplugged, you follow the long shaft from the faceplate back to the switch, then first dust everything off preferably with canned air or compressed air if you have it.
Use D5 deoxit liberally, and operate the switch stop to stop at least 50 cycles.
Flush it again with D5...a non metallic pipe cleaner may also be used if you are careful. Allow it to dry and test.

Your post would be seen and responded to better if you started your own thread in the forum.
There are tons of threads on how to use the deoxit products, that switch is readily accessed if you remove the top cover, with the unit unplugged, you follow the long shaft from the faceplate back to the switch, then first dust everything off preferably with canned air or compressed air if you have it.
Use D5 deoxit liberally, and operate the switch stop to stop at least 50 cycles.
Flush it again with D5...a non metallic pipe cleaner may also be used if you are careful. Allow it to dry and test.
I think you misinterpret. I use barrels of deoxit a year on switches, faders (faderlube), and buttons. On a selector I never use deoxit since it has a thin film lubricant that leaves a residue and penetrating properties. I worry about the oil penetrating the selector's rivets and loosening the rivets from the phenolic wafers. I repaired a Yamaha preamp which this occurred and previously the owner used deoxit to clean the switch by spraying it liberally.

But you are quite right :yes: - good to be wary of too much deoxit getting into those rivets.

Could you recommend a contact cleaner? i have a Radio Shack and Joseph Electronics nearby.

Thanks

I like to spray the selector with straight contact cleaner without lubricants. If you remove the bottom cover you should be able to get a good look at the switch. A product like CRC QD cleaner would work well. Spray the switch while exercising it back and forth. You need to get the spray onto the contacts on each of the phenolic wafers.

My reason for not using lubricants such as deoxit is the worry that the lube will penetrate the rivet holding the contact to the phenolic and loosen the rivet. I'm probably being paranoid and it wouldn't hurt anything but I've never had a problem with the above method. Anyone use deoxit?

Could you recommend a contact cleaner? i have a Radio Shack and Joseph Electronics nearby.

Thanks

Deoxit is the most used around here, and as I told the other poster, if your post was in the forum as it's own topic you will receive the help you need.:thmbsp:
See #4 above ^

I believe that I did post this as my own topic?

I have two conflicting thoughts of what to use? Deoxit or Contact cleaner? Which one would be safe?

Also is is possibly to clean the Dolby switch while I have the unit open? What should I use on the Dolby switch? Deoxit or contact cleaner?

TIA for all of your suggestions and patience.

Deoxit is the most used around here, and as I told the other poster, if your post was in the forum as it's own topic you will receive the help you need.:thmbsp:
See #4 above ^

I think what nosirrah means is post in the Sansui forum, this topic is posted in the Sansui equipment database which is a subforum. I was confused as well.

Just me opinion, but I would use a non-lubricant contact cleaner on the selector, and I would use Deoxit D5 on the switch. Just make sure the cleaner you use is "plastic safe".

Thanks,
BTW any tips at getting to the Dolby switch? Can I get it it w/o pulling the board?

I think what nosirrah means is post in the Sansui forum, this topic is posted in the Sansui equipment database which is a subforum. I was confused as well.

Just me opinion, but I would use a non-lubricant contact cleaner on the selector, and I would use Deoxit D5 on the switch. Just make sure the cleaner you use is "plastic safe".

Not sure if you can gain access from the top or bottom. See if there is a little hole on the top of the switch you can spray into while exercising the button. Some push buttons require access to the front of the switch to get the solution inside.

Got the selector w/np and the dolby with the unit standion on end (both ends) and a few Hail Marry shots. Guess its back running %100 again. I had it sitting for about 6 months that may have caused it.

Thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom