Let's See Your Great JVC Gear!

GD70

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Let's hear it for JVC! A lot of great gear under the radar. There's a let's see your Sony's, Technics, etc...threads, so why not! Show us what ya got!
I'll start.
Amp, tuner & EQ system I put together over this past year. The Receiver I've owned since new in 1980. The speakers were my dad's who was the original owner from 1968 which he gave me recently.
A-X5 Amp, T-X6 Tuner, SEA 80 EQ, R-S77 & GB-1E speakers.

IMG_3961_zpsaa2f08b8.JPG IMG_4128JPG.JPG IMG_6050.JPG

Last edited:
My JVC XL-R5000 CD recorder. Picked it up cheap at GW. It beats all the other CD players I've had by a good margin. Plays any CD no matter what shape it's in.

Attachments

• IMG_5761.jpg
    IMG_5761.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 164
JVC MF-55LS system

A beautifully crafted 3-in-1 Stereo Hi-Fi Music System from 1971.

JVC%252520MF-55LS%252520%25252801%252529.jpg

Here's an RX-750V I rescued from a recycler. Still working on a right channel issue, but is somewhat working. I have about 20 bucks invested at this point.

attachment.php

Here's my RX-750V that I bought new in 1987. It also has an issue that I'll be addressing in the future.

attachment.php

I don't have pictures right now, but here's the other JVC stuff I have...

RX-950V x4 (3 work fine- 1 is a project to learn on.)
R-X40 - Great receiver from 1982. Has a great review in Stereo Review mentioning how the distortion is so low they cannot measure it with the equipment they had at the time. These are rated at 40 WPC RMS, but I think they can give bigger amps a run for the money.
TD-V66J - 3 Head Cassette Deck. Amazing sound. Don't see much use anymore.
XL-V450 - CD Player. Plays anything.
XL-V550 - CD Player. Plays anything.
AL-FQ555 - Turntable. I bought it because you can control it with the remote and it's black to match the other stuff. Quartz locked maintains speed well. Using a Stanton L747S cartridge.
HR-D470U - Hi-Fi VCR. This was one bad ass machine. I used it to death. It gave up on me at about 25 years of age. I bought another one and it also died. I bought a newer model (don't remember the number, but it tracks all of my tapes great). Now I have to digitise them.
No JVC speakers. I have Boston Acoustics A100 Series III that I bought new in 1988. I will never part with them.

Attachments

• 750v.jpg
    750v.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 377
  • 750v - 17 dollar.jpg
    750v - 17 dollar.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 384
I like that turntable!

Me too, sharp look'n for sure!

I bought a small JVC receiver with the slide EQ and volume at GW for $10 and took it to work. I worked with assholes who smashed the top in and dropped it so hard the feet were almost level with the bottom. Funny thing was they couldn't kill it!
I laughed every time I powered it up, it just pissed them off to hear it, after their abuse! I finally gave it to a friend and as far I know it's still running in his garage.
Glad I changed jobs!

Eywadude said:
Yeah, the RX-1010 is a good one, also have a look at the RX-1001 before it, and the RX-1050 after it as well. There is also the AX-1100, the AX-Z911, and the AX-Z1010 integrated amps - the AX-Z1010 arguably being one of the best JVC ever made. If you can find one, snatch it up. Then there is the newer AX-M9000 integrated that was JVC's attempt at the high end market and is rated at 240 WPC. They are very rare to find and more than likely they will command a pretty penny.

As far as AVR's go, try to avoid anything below the RX-7xx or RX-7xxx series of receivers. Anything in the RX-6xx and RX-6xxx series and below are generally inferior products with bad specs. There are a few exceptions to the rule, but generally it is best to stay away from them. I try to concentrate on the RX-8xx series and up. Also, keep an eye out for the RX-DP series, which includes the RX-20, RX-DP15, RX-DP10, and RX-DP9. They are all rated at 100-120 WPC and weigh between 49-52 pounds, with the RX-DP20 having a copper-sandwiched chassis. The DP series was JVC's assault on the higher end Yamahas, Denons and Marantz's of the world. Unfortunately I missed out on a mint RX-DP9 for an insane $80 a while back. :p

Anyway, I hope this gets you on your journey to finding a JVC receiver that may fit into your collection. Here's a website you can use as a reference. Just be sure to click on the images to see the factory specs, as some of the specs stated on the site are inaccurate and underrated:

http://www.jeff-young-design.com/JVC/receivers-IF.htm

Cheers. :)

Eywadude should be along any moment. He is a JVC expert.

JVC PC-D5L from 1980

Meet the JVC PC-D5L from 1980, part of the ultra-versatile portable component system - JVC PC-5. This was a special concept from JVC with separate components that could be assembled into a portable unit. As a result of this concept the JVC PC-D5L compact cassette recorder can be used independently either with a 12V AC adapter, a 12V car adapter or 8 "D" size batteries.

JVC%252520PC-D5L%252520%25252801%252529.jpg

Here's an RX-750V I rescued from a recycler. Still working on a right channel issue, but is somewhat working. I have about 20 bucks invested at this point.

attachment.php

Here's my RX-750V that I bought new in 1987. It also has an issue that I'll be addressing in the future.

attachment.php

I don't have pictures right now, but here's the other JVC stuff I have...

RX-950V x4 (3 work fine- 1 is a project to learn on.)
R-X40 - Great receiver from 1982. Has a great review in Stereo Review mentioning how the distortion is so low they cannot measure it with the equipment they had at the time. These are rated at 40 WPC RMS, but I think they can give bigger amps a run for the money.
TD-V66J - 3 Head Cassette Deck. Amazing sound. Don't see much use anymore.
XL-V450 - CD Player. Plays anything.
XL-V550 - CD Player. Plays anything.
AL-FQ555 - Turntable. I bought it because you can control it with the remote and it's black to match the other stuff. Quartz locked maintains speed well. Using a Stanton L747S cartridge.
HR-D470U - Hi-Fi VCR. This was one bad ass machine. I used it to death. It gave up on me at about 25 years of age. I bought another one and it also died. I bought a newer model (don't remember the number, but it tracks all of my tapes great). Now I have to digitise them.
No JVC speakers. I have Boston Acoustics A100 Series III that I bought new in 1988. I will never part with them.

Quite a collection!

I bought a girlfriend a R-X40 back then. Very nice receiver.
Thanks for posting!

Glenn

Meet the JVC PC-D5L from 1980, part of the ultra-versatile portable component system - JVC PC-5. This was a special concept from JVC with separate components that could be assembled into a portable unit. As a result of this concept the JVC PC-D5L compact cassette recorder can be used independently either with a 12V AC adapter, a 12V car adapter or 8 "D" size batteries.

JVC%252520PC-D5L%252520%25252801%252529.jpg

That's a cool piece! JVC was an innovator for sure.

Back in the day I never heard of JVC until VCR's. A couple of years ago I saw this R-S33 at an SA for $13.00 (lucky number):

attachment.php

Then I acquired the TOTL R-S77:

attachment.php

And this JR-S300:

attachment.php

I almost forgot the NIVICO 5003:

attachment.php

In my multi-room setup one receiver in the room where the antenna feeds are acts as dedicated tuner and feeds line-level audio to the other receivers. The JVC's are cool because if you're listening to AM (oldies, etc) you can give the line-level audio a lot of "meat" by enabling SEA in TAPE OUT.

Back in the day I never heard of JVC until VCR's. A couple of years ago I saw this R-S33 at an SA for $13.00 (lucky number):

attachment.php

Then I acquired the TOTL R-S77:

attachment.php

And this JR-S300:

attachment.php

I almost forgot the NIVICO 5003:

attachment.php

In my multi-room setup one receiver in the room where the antenna feeds are acts as dedicated tuner and feeds line-level audio to the other receivers. The JVC's are cool because if you're listening to AM (oldies, etc) you can give the line-level audio a lot of "meat" by enabling SEA in TAPE OUT.

Het loopstick!

That's a great selection of receivers you have!
We have all of those except the S300 in the family.

I'm the original owner of my R-S77, my dad is the original owner, 1968, of the 5003, I bought my daughter a R-S33 for a Christmas present two years ago.

The 77 has a special place in my heart and will never be sold. I abused the crap out of it during my college days and the 80's with crazy parties running 4-5 pairs of speakers for hours! Who knew about ohms!
It's still used regularly.

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom