Show me your workbench!

Red - looking good. That atlas press looks fantastic!

Still got the Buffalo press? Still trying to talk my buddy into it.
Mike

Nice workshop there, Nate (Redboy). It's no wonder your DIY pieces are tres elegant. Perhaps with a donation of some insulation and a natural gas furnace you could get the production output of REDBOY AUDIO™ devices into the triple digits.

Got tired of chasing and moving test gear all over the place so added an 18" extension to the front of the bench last weekend. Now everything is ready to hand :)

-Lee

Attachments

• m_bench2015.jpg
    m_bench2015.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 132
Nate...I was looking at the pics of your shop & now I'm kicking my butt raw. They tore down a bowling alley in a nearby town...I could've gotten a hunk of lane myself!!!

Rats!

IMG_0668.jpg IMG_0669.jpg IMG_0671.jpg IMG_0672.jpg Man you guys have some great workspaces! Here is my slice of heaven. I wish I never had to come out :).

Currently in between projects as you can tell from the orderly appearance :)

Steve

Last edited:
picture.php

posted 3 times today.. assembling how many diy projects? no matter how big the space the cleanup.. we run out of room.

@targeteye:

Nice clean setup there, verrrrry nice! Sure comes to life when the shelf is opened up.:thmbsp:

I have recently ripped up my lab, and laid it back down. Here she is, such as she is.

2 24 2015 SW Corner 01.jpg 2 24 2015 Workbench 01.jpg 2 24 2015 Workbench 03.jpg Computer pit.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Nice, but us old farts prefer a magnifier lamp. I got "clockmaker" vision that's spectacular for up close work - without my glasses - but that's dangerous with solder spattering about. Hiding behind the lamp's lens and still being able to focus is perfect.

My problem is, I got one of those new fangled LED type articulated lamps, and get some bizarro reflections from the bulbs up close. Kinda reminds me of those weird halos you see on the football helmets from the lighting in the Super Dome. The LEDs are close together, but you can still see some uneven mottling that I find distracting.

Thanx for the reminder - going into town tomorrow, and I gotta check out one of these at the Harbor Freight ...

34018.gif

http://www.harborfreight.com/fluorescent-magnifying-lamp-60643.html

Bit of a compromise - same size head, but smaller glass due to the larger fluorescent bulb ... but the lighting should be better and the smaller lens might actually make it easier to focus on the small stuff. I also got an ancient version with longer arms (sans magnifier) that uses a standard bulb ... only upgrade there is a GE Reveal bulb ... like the color spectrum on those! That lamp gives me a nice even backwash even when using the magnifer lamp.

PS ... they also have one that has a heavy base that would probably work better with some of the fine furniture I've seen here. Not an issue with my industrial grade plywood ... <G>

Good overhead lighting is also a must ... I went with double tube "daylight" fluorescent over the entire bench areas. You can never have enough light!

Last edited:
Very nice Rich, where did you find the desk lamp?
Bet it comes in handy.
-Lee
I got mine many years ago, but I believe this is it: http://www.amazon.com/18w-Flex-Lamp...1827766&sr=8-1-spell&keywords=ottlite+FlexArm It was designed for women's craft projects, and provides smooth natural light, designed to minimize glare, while fully illuminating my work. It has a heavy base, as well as a table side clamp, so you choose how you want to use it.

31oESFmSPkL._SY355_.jpg

For magnification, I use a magnifier hood with a variety of flip-down lenses and rotate in loupe. That way, I can wear my bifocal safety glasses (http://www.amazon.com/MSA-Safety-Wo...id=1441828764&sr=8-1&keywords=bearcat+glasses), and get good magnification when I need it. I also don't have to fuss with moving my magnifier around all the time (they do tend to get in the way).

Mine are similar to these: http://www.amazon.com/SE-MH1047L-Il...Magnifier/dp/B003UCODIA/ref=pd_bxgy_201_img_y
41clz7xpHNL._SX466_.jpg

For magnification that does not require you to get close to focus, just clip these onto your safety glasses: http://www.amazon.com/Ultra-light-B...1441830286&sr=8-9&keywords=surgical+magnifier
41cuNlCTB5L._SX450_.jpg

Enjoy,
Rich P

Last edited:
Quote --- Nice, but us old farts prefer a magnifier lamp. I got "clockmaker" vision that's spectacular for up close work - without my glasses - but that's dangerous with solder spattering about. Hiding behind the lamp's lens and still being able to focus is perfect.

Clockmaker vison, yup thats me. Use an optivisor with lights but as you noted more light would be better thus the question to Rich. What I think would be the cats meow is one of those dentist lamps they pin you into the chair with during teeth cleanings or better yet one of those crazy medical surgical lamps they employ for colostomy inspections :)
-Lee

just read a ways years back to catch up on missed to date.. Now I know who has all the equipment!

Back
Top Bottom