Best classic Sansui turntables

I bought an SR-717 back in the day and still own it. I think Sansui built some of the best TT's. My teenage son has discovered vinyl and I shutter every time he uses my system. I want to get him his own TT but its hard to find anything out there that comes close to the specs of the 717 without spending thousands of dollars. I'm leaning toward an Audio Technica ATLP1240USB.

Attachments

• sansui sr-717.JPG
    sansui sr-717.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 70
I bought an SR-717 back in the day and still own it. I think Sansui built some of the best TT's. My teenage son has discovered vinyl and I shutter every time he uses my system. I want to get him his own TT but its hard to find anything out there that comes close to the specs of the 717 without spending thousands of dollars. I'm leaning toward an Audio Technica ATLP1240USB.

How can your son be happy with an Audio Technica turn table after using a Sansui ? :rolleyes:

How can your son be happy with an Audio Technica turn table after using a Sansui ? :rolleyes:

Have any suggestions? He's picky about looks and I'm picky about price and performance. I've been looking on eBay for a used Sansui but haven't seen any that are complete and w/o issue(s).

I haven't heard all of them, but I was blown away by an SR-717. And I'm not easily blown away.

I like my SR-717 very much, too. Dead quiet, keeps steady speed, built like a tank, great tonearm out of the box...by far the best dustcover I've used on a TT...it will not self destruct.

I picked up a 929 today, I bid 200 on it at the end of a estate sale. Brought it home and cleaned it up, and it's great! Of all my decks this is my king of the hill now. also came with a Grado Reference Master cartridge on it. Never had a fancy cart like like that before.

85cdad6d-410f-4243-9cbc-22c0715673c5.jpg

Anyone know what model this is? Is it any good?

I have the 838 and it's terrific — even the standard tonearm is first rate (I suggest checking and resetting bearings to keep it first rate).

But the XR-Q7 is from an alternative universe of no-compromise perfection.

I'm baffled by that table. It looks like your standard black plastic, low mass straight arm table from the 80s, but it has ten inch mat, not a twelve inch (why?).
Nonetheless, the seller wants serious money for it. I wouldn't be tempted.

I'm baffled by that table. It looks like your standard black plastic, low mass straight arm table from the 80s, but it has ten inch mat, not a twelve inch (why?).
Nonetheless, the seller wants serious money for it. I wouldn't be tempted.
No, actually it is a 12" platter mat, the platter is wider. It is built similar to the Sony Biotracer tables. I had the XP-99, very heavy for it's size. Very nice tables.

Back
Top Bottom