Another NEW/OLD R2R:

BOUXY

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
IMAG1376.jpg IMAG1380.jpg Came across this Panasonic Model #RS-790S this morning for $5.00 at a local Flea Market.It is a full auto reverse machine with either to be used as a Deck or with built in speakers and amp.After a good initial cleaning etal I fired it up and it plays good real good.Won't try recording until a later time when I can really go over it but all initial indications are no problems foreseen yet?Anyone know this R2R or have info on it,much appreciated if anyone has:)

Wow that's clean! Nice find for 5 bills IMO. Those Panasonics had dual capstans and were pretty decent little entry level decks. That one looks like it's hardly ever been used, hopefully the heads are in the same shape as the rest of it. :thumbsup:

WoW yes WoW:eek2:
There's a 'vintage tape museum' site somewhere... do a search & also look @ hi-fi engines...

Oh my. That is a beautiful deck that looks as if it arrived in a time machine. Nice! Very nice, indeed!

Gerard

Weak point in the reverse mechanism is, that: it uses a spring-attached fiber strap looped over the motor bearing to sway whichever idler (one per-direction on a rocker assembly) into position against the respective spindle clutch acting as the take-up. The underside of the strap either becomes too smooth or frays -after 50 years- to move the idler linkage.

Use it everyday and still have had no problems!Works like a charm,not too bad for 1970:)
As well I just picked up it's little brother a " Stereo Matic" 760 from 1968 and it also looks and works like new.

Attachments

• STEREO MATIC.jpg
    STEREO MATIC.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 9
Weak point in the reverse mechanism is, that: it uses a spring-attached fiber strap looped over the motor bearing to sway whichever idler (one per-direction on a rocker assembly) into position against the respective spindle clutch acting as the take-up. The underside of the strap either becomes too smooth or frays -after 50 years- to move the idler linkage.

Never have any problems:)

Wow that's clean! Nice find for 5 bills IMO. Those Panasonics had dual capstans and were pretty decent little entry level decks. That one looks like it's hardly ever been used, hopefully the heads are in the same shape as the rest of it. :thumbsup:

Heads are like new!
"Entry Level" You're kidding,just as good if not better than my Pioneer RT-707:)

Well I also really like the Toshiba PT-862 in your avatar! I remember drooling all over those in the early 70’s when they were on the shelves in the audio department of our local Bambergers (they had an excellent audio / photography department). I also remember the really cool start /stop lever on them (you could shift either way to start it) and the nice blue-green back lit meters. Classy tape deck, someday I hope to find one in the wild to fix up.

Back
Top Bottom