PIcking up my A-s2100 this weekend (currently using A-s2000)

Yamahaha

Finally bit it and ordered an A-s2100 after using my 2000 for a year or so. I love the 2000 and still dont know how much improvement I can possibly get but we'll see. Already have a buyer waiting for my 2000.

Let us know how they compare. I own an A-S2000 and am curious if the upgrade to an A-S2100 is worthwhile.

The 2100 is home. Not near enough time to have much opinion. First impressions as the 2000 came off the stand and 2100 went on; they look an awful lot alike. Almost the same size except the 2100 is taller. Top plate, bottom plate, these things look identical. Power supply looks different. Bias trim pots better quality. Just some things I could see from the outside.

I tested the CD and phono so far. Again just initial first impressions. The phono has been improved. Sound overall is quite different to these ears. Lots of bottom end and with a different character. My suspicions it was a 2000 with meters have been alleviated. Clearly a different sound. When I get more time with it I will write more.

The remote is much better. Can choose source by individual button instead of back and forth click by click. Important first impression is it has more "umph" and nice highs. I dont expect it to blow away the 2000 since that was a great amp for me. we'll see.

Great stuff. A few guys here in Sydney have bough them too, and they are very very pleased with them. Looking fwd to some pics of the amp in situ!

The 2100 is home. Not near enough time to have much opinion. First impressions as the 2000 came off the stand and 2100 went on; they look an awful lot alike. Almost the same size except the 2100 is taller. Top plate, bottom plate, these things look identical. Power supply looks different. Bias trim pots better quality. Just some things I could see from the outside.

I tested the CD and phono so far. Again just initial first impressions. The phono has been improved. Sound overall is quite different to these ears. Lots of bottom end and with a different character. My suspicions it was a 2000 with meters have been alleviated. Clearly a different sound. When I get more time with it I will write more.

The remote is much better. Can choose source by individual button instead of back and forth click by click. Important first impression is it has more "umph" and nice highs. I dont expect it to blow away the 2000 since that was a great amp for me. we'll see.

Like johsti I also have the 2000 and am seriously considering the 2100 (if I can find a buyer for my 2000). Hopefully you can give us more info as it settles in. Thanks!

I have been listening fairly solid

I really like the 2100. The overall "natural sound" thing still applies. Have been testing with recordings I know to have grain etc to give a fair comparison.

2100 has a "tube" like character to my ears. Very smooth yet still quite accurate. I like this a lot. Things sound very present in the room. Personally I try and avoid the "soundstage" etc talk. I hear very fine detail in the mix. A few background noises I did not hear before. Grain is minimal. Bass very solid and tight all the way down. Quite a few of my favorite recordings seem more lifelike. Highs are improved. Some grainy recordings sound a little smoother (but no less sharp)

To compare with the 2000 I would say the 2000 is very accurate but a tad clinical and thin in comparison with the 2100. But the 2000 is still IMO one great amp especially considering the $. Factoring in the $, the 2000 ... untouchable. I have not decided if the 2100 is more accurate or perhaps less but in a very pleasing "round sound" way. I tried tube gear before as I like the roundness but found something always got lost with tube gear either in muddy bass or rolled off highs (sometimes both). The 2100 is doing a great job of sounding round and natural with full frequency extension. I am sure there are $7000, $10,000 etc units that are better but for $3000 Yamaha has another winner.

Heat. About the same as the 2000 in operation. Warm enough to feel if you lean into its space. Nothing you cant leave a hand on or would call hot.

The 2000 phono stage I thought was too thin at first and then got used to. The 2100 has addressed this and sounds better. Fuller.
Headphones sounded just a hair better on the 2100. I have Focal Sprit pro. Must admit headphones are not my thing.

Power wise, neck and neck. I notice no more or less power with the 2100 vs the 2000.

Remote much better with the 2100.

The meters are .. well like most meters the novelty wears off fast and I will probably shut them off most of the time.

Would I go back to the 2000? You know, I probably could and live with it just fine. I do prefer the 2100 and feel it moves forward enough to justify its cost. Of course its all a matter of opinion. I've had most this line. It all started as a second system for my workshop. Had the lowly RS300 which is very inexpensive and wasn't hifi. The A-s500 which is a great budget machine but again, in that range you just cant get hifi. The A-S700 was actually pretty good and I used it in my main system for a few weeks which lead to the 2000. Never had the AS-1000. The A-S2000 blew away the 700 and many other amps that cost more. The A-S2100 hasn't totally blown away the 2000 like that but I do feel its more musical and am happy to have upgraded. Some might feel the improvements are to small to bother. For me I am going to stop awhile and enjoy this one as I did the 2000. I had a Cary SLP98p and 200.2 rig for a few weeks and didn't keep it over the as2000. The 2100 sounds better to me so I am keeping it. It has the smooth musical quality without the strange noises and rolloff of the Cary. I guess I like the Yamaha house sound. And its less $ than just the Cary Preamp alone. BONUS.

Yamahaha, great review! I was really wanting to get your impressions compared to the 2000. I think I may have a buyer for my 2000 and if so I am going to pull the trigger and go for it. Thanks again for your insight, much appreciated.

An interesting listening impression, and thanks heaps for posting! One FET and one BJT amp!

The 2100 using FETS at the output. In the 2100 both l&r channel deploy a pair of n-channel power Mosfets. Two per channel of Sanken MLE-20 n-channel high power devices rated at 150w. The 2000 OTOH deploying six small wafer type bjt (TO-3P) Sanken 2SC6011 npn power transistors, again npn used for both channels. Yamaha of course have re-named these quasi-complimentary designs....."Floating and Balanced Amplifier".

An interesting listening impression, and thanks heaps for posting! One FET and one BJT amp!

The 2100 using FETS at the output. In the 2100 both l&r channel deploy a pair of n-channel power Mosfets. Two per channel of Sanken MLE-20 n-channel high power devices rated at 150w. The 2000 OTOH deploying six small wafer type bjt (TO-3P) Sanken 2SC6011 npn power transistors, again npn used for both channels. Yamaha of course have re-named these quasi-complimentary designs....."Floating and Balanced Amplifier".

I thought only the A-S3000 used the Sanken?

Thanks for sharing your impression of the A-S2100 and how it compares to the 2000. It's a beautiful piece.

Thanks for sharing your impression of the A-S2100 and how it compares to the 2000. It's a beautiful piece.
certainly is pretty. I have seen, but not heard all the recent Yamaha amps. Very nice in the flesh. I am soo glad Yamaha in their wisdom decided to retro-design their amps. It was a very wise decision I reckon.

Maybe they were thinking that they may even get a repeat client from 1978!-- Well they did I'm sure...

Yamahaha, great review! I was really wanting to get your impressions compared to the 2000. I think I may have a buyer for my 2000 and if so I am going to pull the trigger and go for it. Thanks again for your insight, much appreciated.

Did you get one? Look forward to your take.

After a good 8 hours of listening over this holiday weekend, here are my first impressions of the A-S2100. I am a huge fan of the A-S2000 which I have had in my main system for about 3 years now, for me it did everything right and I was very hesitant to purchase the 2100 for fear I wouldn't be able to justify the cost in terms of sound (not much of a difference) and in essence would be spending a big chunk of change just for meters. But I decided to go for it.

After spending just a little time with the 2100 I am floored. The 2100 has really impressed me and I am surprised at the capabilities this amp has to offer. The biggest difference for me was in the bass. With the 2000 the bass was rich & deep but at times could loose control and almost linger and flood the sound during heavy bass tracks. The 2100 is just the opposite, bass is very deep and rich but during those same tracks where the 2000 struggled the 2100 has a firm grip and will rattle your teeth but remains taut and always controlled so the next note is a quick transition and you have no remaining low end waves still rolling through the air.

The treble is a slight improvement over the 2000 with improved clarity but I really had to listen closely to determine a difference. Both amps are superb in this area. I do think the 2100 sounds a little more smooth than the 2000 on tracks where crashing cymbals dominate and are in your face.

Overall, I love the sound of the A-S2100 and it's a clear and significant difference to notice right out of the box. Both amps are amazing and I was very content with the 2000, but these amps are indeed different in sound and the 2100 just surpasses the 2000. A smooth yet very exciting and dynamic amp that has achieved an amazing balance that I thought I had with the A-S2000 but the 2100 simply expands the ends of the spectrum in ability. Push the volume and the 2100 remains in control and is serious about delivering the goods. I have a feeling the A-S2100 will be with me for a long time.

For comparison between the 2000 & 2100 I used the exact same set up I have been using in my main rig...
Olive 04HD server (tracks in FLAC) sent via fiber optic to the Schiit Ygdrassil DAC then connected with XLR balanced cables (DH Labs Air Matrix) to the amp. Speakers are KEF R-900 towers.

Back
Top Bottom