Show your Bicycle !

WOw! Finally a Topic on this forum I actually know something about. I Spent many years working in Bike shops.
MaxxVolume, nice to finally see a nice Campy equipped steed. I put many miles on A Raleigh pro with Nuevo Record. 2526 I miss Bridgestone,, I love the Orange. I unfortunately parted ways with my MB zip years ago. I've always enjoyed bike guys and Gals. Emonda,,,sweet! Waterford...Classy and sweet, even though you said 'brifters'..:). Amp fork, I love it, I had a Lawell Leader, works like an upside down amp fork, it was the Bomb(in 1991).
I might have to dust off ony of my fleet and go on a quick Thanksgiving Day ride. Cheers!

I was so into riding when I was married to my bride in 1980 I told her "I won't be married to anyone that doesn't ride" and purchased her a Schwinn Continental. Averaged 4000 miles a yr on that Moto until the 90's when medical problems for my bride dominated our life. We were unable to have children for the first decade, but as luck would have it when the children did come along so did the medical issues. With this, riding was no longer a priority and the bikes sat idle for a long time.

Moved to Ca. in 2008 so my bride could be near her family. In late November of 2011 Nanette asked for a bike for her birthday, said I should get one too. I bought the Jubilee on eBay and a really cool Phat Cycles cruiser for her at a local bike shop, she was never well enough to ride it, then hospitalized for the last time on December 8, lost her January 12, 2012.

Here's a pic of her bike, she really liked it a lot, I did get to push her around the front yard on it a couple of times.

That is awesome that she got to be on the bike again- if just to be out with you.

My best wishes.

Waterford T-14 custom frame -- mostly Ultegra (but canti brakes, and the brifters went when I wrecked on the 19th of May this year, and to save money, the shop replaced them with Tiagras -- so far, so good). Terry Men's Liberator saddle -- got a prostate? Try that saddle. British Racing Green. At present, the mudguards and rear rack are not on the bike. This is the one I ride the most. I have longer-than-average arms -- hence the frame geometry. The photo setting is Champaign County, Illinois with iconic corn and soybeans, and the bike is resting against a post embedded in the fertile soil to mark the corners of these two adjacent fields (I'm standing on the edge of a county road to take this photo).

index.php

That looks like a super, fantastic bike!!

I go back and forth whether I want a Waterford or not- (I mean I do- but...) I keep looking at bikes made by Dave Wages from Ellis Cycles- he worked at Serotta and Waterford- now does his own bikes- REALLY nice bikes. That's the "someday" bike for me.

As far as my bike- I've got a garage full of them- and I'm obsessively dorky about it- but my babycat is this- 1985 Trek 720. The 720 was the obscenely expensive top of the line touring bike for Trek- it's still regarded as one of the 'all time great' touring bikes. It came with among the finest of touring and MTB components of the day- It's sort of "upgraded" to how someone may have done it in 1992 or so.

I've got slotted 600 levers, all new Jagwire cables & housing, replaced the cable hangers with Q/R models, a Brooks C17 (awesome saddle!!!), Phil Wood/Super Champion 40 spoke wheels (if you've never experienced Phil hubs- you owe it to yourself!), SKS chromoplastic fenders, King Cage toeclips, Suntour XC Pro rear derailleur with Bullseye pulleys. My next thought is to replace the crankset with a Sugino AT and Suntour sealed BB from my Voyageur SP. Eventually, I'd like to either strip the racks or re-powdercoat them so they match.

The bike rides sublimely, the equivalent of a 1972 Cadillac Eldorado. :D

Here it is with the Suntour XC 3 pulley derailleur. A really cool piece- I'm lending it to someone right now- and I very well just may put this one back on- it works really well, it wraps a colossal amount of chain, and it looks... intriguing.

When I was going to college in the 70s, I had a night class that required me to walk past the campus performing arts theater, which also had night classes. While walking past, I spotted and brand shiny new Gitane ten speed chained through both wheels, the frame, and around the trunk of a tree that was 6-8" in diameter.

When my class was over and I returned, the bike owner was there with the campus police, the Gitane was gone, and the tree had been sawed down.

my wife and I took our Momentum city bikes out to the neighborhood Starbucks and to the store earlier today:

nice bikes :: DISCLOSURE:: My wife works for the company that makes them:: .. but they are a nice city bike option the built in cup holder is AWESOME..

Last edited:
When I was going to college in the 70s, I had a night class that required me to walk past the campus performing arts theater, which also had night classes. While walking past, I spotted and brand shiny new Gitane ten speed chained through both wheels, the frame, and around the trunk of a tree that was 6-8" in diameter.

When my class was over and I returned, the bike owner was there with the campus police, the Gitane was gone, and the tree had been sawed down.

That's too funny. Amazing the extremes people will go thru to swipe a nice bike.

That's too funny. Amazing the extremes people will go thru to swipe a nice bike.

In the beginning, people on campus would run a chain through the front wheel and to the bike rack. When they came out of class, the front wheel would still be there, but the rest of the bike would be gone.

After people started running the chain thru the frame, someone figured out that if you emptied a 12 oz can of R-12 freon on a single link and whacked it with a ball peen hammer, the link would shatter. Bye bye bike.

I wish my U08 looked like that! Actually the pic is of a PX10 which was a much nicer bike. I'm glad that we're not on Bikeforums, they would be all bent out of shape. Lol

Guilty as charged, you were thinking the same thing tho, confess. Once a bike nerd, always a bike nerd I guess. :biggrin:

I'm a fan of these bikes, I own one in orange also. Nice comfortable ride with gobs of room for wider tires. Here's a pic of my highly customized U08.

Those Peugeot pics bring back good memories....my first "good" bike was a PX-10, think I paid $199 for it at a sporting goods store that was going out of business, and closing out all their merchandise. As I recall, it was very light....had Huret Jubilee derailleurs, Mafac center-pull brakes, Maillard high-flange hubs, and Wolber sewups.
Rode it for several years until I saved enough money to buy my Raliegh Pro. Those were the days ! :)

Here's a bike I've spent a fair amount of time (and money!) on.

It's a 1986 Trek 400 Elance. Ostensibly it's towards the bottom of Trek's 1986 lineup- but it's a 531 main frame with Tange CrMo stays and fork- it's a really, really nice bike. While most of the components on it were 'good' for the day (Shimano's Light Action SIS Indexed stuff and Z series brakes), I've doing a bunch of "upgrading."

The main thing is changing the shifters to SunTour's Command Shifters- I don't know if they were the answer to STI brifters, or if they were developed separately. The shifters mount inboard of the brake levers- the right (rear) is indexed and the front is ratcheting friction. These are my favorite shifters- I've got them on 3 bikes and I've actually got a 10 speed indexing ring, so one of these days, I'm going to build up a 10 speed (full on Dura Ace 77/7800) with 10 speed Command Shifters! :D

I'm kind of obsessed with a lot of Suntour stuff- and this bike is rolling with XC Pro front and rear derailleurs- which would be the top of the line MTB parts.

The bars are the Belleri touring bars that came on my Trek 620, the brakes and levers are tri-color Shimano 600/Ultegra. I used dual pivot on the front and single pivot in the rear- just because I thought it looked cute like that. When I did this, I didn't understand the concept of "reach." Because I wanted to use THESE brakes, I ended up changing the wheel size TO 27" wheels. (I actually used the wheels from my 720- after replacing the Maillard Helicomatic hub with a Maillard 600 sealed bearing hub). I found an SR SP-KC seatpost on eBay- that was the post that was used on a lot of the TOTL bikes at this time.

I did a lot of thinking about the crankset- I REALLY like the Stronglight 99BIS crankset- the drilled rings look so cool. But after putting it on the bike- this bike leans a little more to 1990 than 1980- in terms of style and everything else- I wanted a triple on there so I went with an Avocet triple with some drilled RINO chainrings. They look pretty sweet- I ended up using a Campagnolo 30t ring- it's not drilled, but it worked better than the 24T Avocet.

As cool as this looked- it looked a touch too "old fashioned" for the bike.

The Avocet looks a little more appropriate.

Again, it started out as pretty close to an entry level bike- It's been said that 'even an entry level Trek is about equal with most other makes' mid level bikes.' This is a butted 531 main triangle and CrMo stays and fork- it's good bones. The bike rides nice- and despite me having a few of the most highly regarded touring bikes of the 1980s in wonderful shape- I think this is my most beautiful bike. The Trek Imron sparkley blue is totally eye catching and a real treat to see glimmering in the sun. :D

Back
Top Bottom