Which is the best Marantz receiver?

Most Marantz silver is good.
There are some I feel "less" about. One turd I know of. I've had many of the larger ones and a few smaller ones.

The 2275 and 2325 are in the top on my list.

The 2230B is a jewel though too. 2230B not 2330B.

Never had a 2265 though but a working one in wood is probably a decent deal at $350.
What's wrong with the 2330B?

What's wrong with the 2330B?

Nothing, just wanted to be clear that I was praising 2230B.

It's easy to misread 2230B and 2330B.

FWIW, I like the non-B in most cases due to the internal layout. But that's just for repair and service reasons.

Another unit that was impressive is the 4415.

There are small units that have cult love (2220?). I just don't get to listen to them.

Another twist to the OP's question is "what are you going to do with it"? The smaller Marantz with great sound will run out of steam when you want to go to 11.

Last edited:
Ahh, amp or preamp section, or the overall execution? Those really low power amp sections are praised by some, but not universally.

The amp with those all-in-one IC.
I had a 4220 come in. It was fried from the bridge rectifier all the way to the outputs. No hope of rebuilding it cost effectively.

Quad is strike one. Small is strike two and difficult to impossible parts is strike three.

Quad is starting to gain popularity. The added feature of matrix mode must be catching on. I've flipped a bunch of different quad units this year.

Small units are gaining popularity. People are finding out you don't need a bazillion wpc to sound good.

Unobtainable parts is still a killer.

I like the Model 18 as the best ever. The only true Saul Marantz and Sid Smith designed receiver. I love the 2265B a lot, a good receiver.

The 2330B, like the 2385, 2500 and 2600 has dual core capacitors with no direct replacements.

But you can restuff them. Done quite a few. PITA to get short caps that almost fit, but it can be done. Coring the can can be a trick too, but there is a trick. Get the center cap out first.

But you can restuff them. Done quite a few. PITA to get short caps that almost fit, but it can be done. Coring the can can be a trick too, but there is a trick. Get the center cap out first.
I love the B series, the 2230 non B I owned had issues with sonic artifacts, my B did not. That said, I sold the 2230 & replaced it with a 2330b & could not be happier. The tech doing repair on some of my 66-69 Sansui stuff is an artist when it comes to stuffing new caps in the old Cap cans. Same with the Marantz he has rehabbed for me. My 250 was done a month or so ago. I have 3 or 4 others for him to do in the next few months.
On BMW bucket list is either a 733 CSI, or 833 CSI, but have never seen one for sale.

That's the way to do it. I've seen more than a few re-capped examples on ebay secured with ugly tie wraps which did not sell at all original price.

the 2245 was my first and probably favorite receiver its big brother the 2270 sounds about the same to me and has more power. my 2275 was the least favorite of the marantz's i own until i had it recapped recently it was a WOW moment when i got it back the difference was like night and day so that one is moving closer to the top the more i listen. i just got a model 18 a week ago and havent listened enough to really know how it sounds but the little ive heard is really nice. i dont really think there is a best it depends on what you listen to, when i want to put on some ac dc and blow the roof of the house my 2325 is the best, when i listen to something mellow the 1060 cant be beat. ive got my 2285b in for a recap maybe when that gets back maybe it will be the best. i love them all it would be hard to choose one but for me my 2245 is best.

I have a 2250B being recapped,(also picked up a black faceplate for it) it will share time with my 1152DC...

I own a 2226 and it produces a wonderful sound.

As far as "Best" then the best is separates.

If you're in the market for a good BMW right now there are incredible deals for sub80k miles Z3s atm.

My first Marantz gear is a PM6004, which is neither a receiver nor vintage. I very much liked it for two reasons, it's a made in Japan unit (rare for a PM6004) and second, got it for a bargain price!
Anyway, PM6004 got me hooked and started my search for vintage Marantz gear and found a Marantz 1250 (still need some recap) but sounds great.
Then came my first vintage Marantz receiver
....a NM 2245 with original wooden cabinet!
This little receiver sounds incredible and sounds more like a tube gear, warm and bold. It really surprised me and I wonder how good it gets after a recap??

I have two 2238B's (one European, one American), one 2275, and three 2285B. All European models. The 2285B's are recapped to Selmic II caps in the sound path, and the others are to Nichicons. To my ear the 2285B's sounds absolutely the best. The 2275 would be the next in line, although very different in presentation; thicker but not fuller. I also had 2265B, sold at the first opportunity. It is a nice receiver but not as good as the 2285B are.

Could not tell about the other ones, since I never had them in the same room connected to the same speakers.

-sg

Back
Top Bottom