Sansui AU-777A xmas break rebuild

Thanks for the reply, will look forward to the listening impressions! Ahh I love those underdog pieces you get and restore and you are not prepared for the gems that they are, so will also look forward to a 222 write up.

I took the wood bonnet off of my 777A today. I screwed in 4 rubber feet on the chassis and popped the plexiglass lid on. Fits nicely. Here are a couple of pics I took this afternoon. It think using a thicker plexiglass has made it look a bit nicer too.

6Neh0Wu.jpg

SNAwk5Y.jpg

8COmXMD.jpg

brilliant - I vote for lights too, very subtle. An additional hack could be to polish the tone control cover or even replace with a thinner version of the pexi glass, for full transparency while maintaining shielding.

Yes now thats an interesting further mod too....
but I vote for the sui black face....

Last edited:
This 777A is currently being listened to by a friend, with my Allison One speakers. This friend has never been into hi-fi before.

Now, they report late night listening session in the dark, have bought some Allison Four speakers, and are asking me advice about ebay prices of sansui amps.... HOOKED.

You should heatshrink since the electrodes here could fall onto the chasis. But heat shrink was a bit fiddly the way I had soldered onto the resistors at a right angle (which was on purpose because of how I want to tuck the wires neatly). So I used some liquid 'electrical tape' - nasty smelling stuff, not very tidy, but did the trick. I might use this stuff a bit more often.
5crsOy4.jpg

You might want to try this product.
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/protective-coatings/insulating/connector-coating-4229/

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 14
You should heatshrink since the electrodes here could fall onto the chasis. But heat shrink was a bit fiddly the way I had soldered onto the resistors at a right angle (which was on purpose because of how I want to tuck the wires neatly). So I used some liquid 'electrical tape' - nasty smelling stuff, not very tidy, but did the trick. I might use this stuff a bit more often.
5crsOy4.jpg

You might want to try this product.
http://www.mgchemicals.com/products/protective-coatings/insulating/connector-coating-4229/

Thanks. Will give it a go next time.

just did an annual check on the 777A, of course, everything is fine. Centre voltage spot on. I turned the bias up a bit... was running it a bit cool before. Also, ran around and re-applied a bit of oil to the chassis and screws etc.

What I wanted to mention now is that I'm doing a bit of headphone listening over the xmas break, mostly movies. I'm listening using my favourite cans - Beyerdynamic DT-150, but the results is equally impressive with my other headphones. Most of these sansui amps don't have dedicated headphone amps and drive the headphones via the main amp output. A lot of head amps don't really drive these cans well, but the amp really man handles them. Yet another way to enjoy my baby, without disturbing the neighbours.

I also find using headphones great for monitoring noise etc during rebuild/trouble-shooting stages.

Last edited:
I don't know why I haven't seen this! The amp with it's transparent cover is outstanding !!! :trebon:

And +1 to headphone use during a recap - great idea.

Last edited:
Really stunned listening by headphones today...Was watching Creed (Rocky VII) just now (don't judge, it's actually pretty decent btw), and 6 minutes in there is a scene in mexico and I actually took my headphones off to make sure there isn't a band playing outside my place (of course, the band was playing in the next room, in the movie)! That sort of thing happens, but didn't expect it from a heavily compressed rocky film...

If there was a vote for most impressive rebuild - this 777a would get my vote. The attention to detail all the way throughout the process.... and yes that transparent cover (still - consider some very subtle lighting build in, allowing the amps gorgeous topography to show at night)

That compressed Rocky version 7 has passed through its venerable windings are utterly forgiven :bigok:

If there was a vote for most impressive rebuild - this 777a would get my vote. The attention to detail all the way throughout the process.... and yes that transparent cover (still - consider some very subtle lighting build in, allowing the amps gorgeous topography to show at night)

That compressed Rocky version 7 has passed through its venerable windings are utterly forgiven :bigok:

I'm sure there are better rebuilds out there but cheers, compliments don't come any higher than that! I've not nstalled lights yet.... but I do have some xmas lights wrapped around it right now! It's basically my xmas tree. I dare not post a pic though :)

Here are a couple of pics Chuck/GordonPlastics sent to me just before shipping. a bit clearer than my present iphone pics

S32k6kz.jpg

489o5v9.jpg

Over the last year I've had a few messages about the AU-777A case. Those who want the vector format template in .eps format (which any CNC router shop will be able to use), just PM me with your email address and I'm happy to share. The template was based on the metal lid for the AU-777A (AU-777 is the same size, I assume other 777 variants are the same).

Also, some (e.g. see this thread) want the dimension of the wood case to replicate that. So here are the dimensions and some pics.

Rs5osEd.jpg

7cS51LN.jpg

There are some differences between the metal and wood cover. The metal cover attaches to the chassis four screws, two on either side panel. The metal cover has no base

VBiRFDy.jpg

There are some differences between the metal and wood cover. The metal cover attaches to the chassis four screws, two on either side panel. The metal cover has no bottom. There is a metal panel on the bottom and four screw in feet.
LtnqZdk.jpg

On the other hand the wood case skips the bottom feet, and the wood case has a bottom and is shaped such that it doesn't need additional feet. Four wingnut bolts screw into where the feet would screw into if you have the metal case.
pnvbEhL.jpg

UKOYtQO.jpg

Here are a few more pics, that might be useful for someone making their own wood case.
49omSRj.jpg

rCTAPtt.jpg

uzwYhzZ.jpg

For the wood case:
- The wingnut bolts are 26 mm long and 3.88 mm wide including thread.
- outer width is 17-1/16"
- inner width is 16-1/8"
- outer height is 6-1/16"
- inner height is 5-3/16"
- depth is 12-1/8"
- the case is about 1/2" thick at the base, but the sides and top are about 7/16"
- the 'feet' are about 1/2" tall at the tallest parts
- I would drill the holes using your screw holes as templates but as a general reference they are separated by 10-10/16" and 8-10/16"
- the two large cut-outs underneath the wood case are at the rear. exact size/placement is not important... the just allow air to rise up through the slots on the back section of the top panel, i.e. chimney effect.

Phono section R611/R612 - 280 kOhm vs 390 Ohm

Before clipping at 20Hz with 54 mV input and well past it at 80mV or so.

grZ0ftJ.jpg

Hello,

I have question about the output adjustment. In the service manual it is written that we had to apply a sinus 1000Hz to aux 2 and adjust vr801/2 until both crete are clipping.

When I try this setting, I have just the bottom crete that is clipping but never the both. Did I miss something ? Or is it an other way to make this settings ?

Over the last year I've had a few messages about the AU-777A case. Those who want the vector format template in .eps format (which any CNC router shop will be able to use), just PM me with your email address and I'm happy to share. The template was based on the metal lid for the AU-777A (AU-777 is the same size, I assume other 777 variants are the same).

Also, some (e.g. see this thread) want the dimension of the wood case to replicate that. So here are the dimensions and some pics.

Rs5osEd.jpg

7cS51LN.jpg

There are some differences between the metal and wood cover. The metal cover attaches to the chassis four screws, two on either side panel. The metal cover has no base

VBiRFDy.jpg

There are some differences between the metal and wood cover. The metal cover attaches to the chassis four screws, two on either side panel. The metal cover has no bottom. There is a metal panel on the bottom and four screw in feet.
LtnqZdk.jpg

On the other hand the wood case skips the bottom feet, and the wood case has a bottom and is shaped such that it doesn't need additional feet. Four wingnut bolts screw into where the feet would screw into if you have the metal case.
pnvbEhL.jpg

UKOYtQO.jpg

Here are a few more pics, that might be useful for someone making their own wood case.
49omSRj.jpg

rCTAPtt.jpg

uzwYhzZ.jpg

For the wood case:
- The wingnut bolts are 26 mm long and 3.88 mm wide including thread.
- outer width is 17-1/16"
- inner width is 16-1/8"
- outer height is 6-1/16"
- inner height is 5-3/16"
- depth is 12-1/8"
- the case is about 1/2" thick at the base, but the sides and top are about 7/16"
- the 'feet' are about 1/2" tall at the tallest parts
- I would drill the holes using your screw holes as templates but as a general reference they are separated by 10-10/16" and 8-10/16"
- the two large cut-outs underneath the wood case are at the rear. exact size/placement is not important... the just allow air to rise up through the slots on the back section of the top panel, i.e. chimney effect.

PS. I note that the version of the Operating Instructions and Service Manual on hifiengine has detailed schematics of the wood case.

Back
Top Bottom