High End Separates.....

Just reading a few posts but I would love to try tri-amping. It would just seem wierd doing it with 500+wpc amps even though that means nothing since the preamp controls overall volume. Would the amps driving the tweeters and mids have to have a lower gain setting since you are essentially bypassing the speaker crossovers and running the drivers independently? I would be a bit concerned feeding them the same gain as the woofers

I am not so sure you'd be running the speakers without their internal crossovers--it depends on the speaker brand and model. If the individual drivers when bi- or tri-amped do not go through a crossover inside the speaker, then you would need to provide an external electronic crossover between your preamp and your power amps to prevent damage to the drivers.

I am not so sure you'd be running the speakers without their internal crossovers--it depends on the speaker brand and model. If the individual drivers when bi- or tri-amped do not go through a crossover inside the speaker, then you would need to provide an external electronic crossover between your preamp and your power amps to prevent damage to the drivers.

Thanks, I wondered about that (jumping binding posts off the crossover points) or direct to the drivers. I have a lot to learn before I attempt it

No problem! Bass frequencies into a midrange or tweeter could be fatal to the driver. That's mainly what I'd be worried about before trying anything.

Just reading a few posts but I would love to try tri-amping. It would just seem wierd doing it with 500+wpc amps even though that means nothing since the preamp controls overall volume. Would the amps driving the tweeters and mids have to have a lower gain setting since you are essentially bypassing the speaker crossovers and running the drivers independently? I would be a bit concerned feeding them the same gain as the woofers

Try bi-amping a full range driver on top of a woofer. Both can handle line amplification (no cross-over). Use y-splitter for the signal before the amps.

Sam, I just have 3-way Vega's and was looking into doing the extra binding posts at a later time when I can afford to do them right. I was not sure about how to jump off the crossovers to each set though. I am a dummy when it comes to that stuff but a fair hand as a carpenter

Audio Research LS16 MKII Tube Pre-Amp
Audio Research D400 MKII SS Power Amp

16399271305_8947e1f132_z.jpg

With regards to the definition, I'm not sure how applicable the criteria is with all genres of music. With live recordings classical music, it may easy, but how do you do this with studio recordings? How does one know what studio recording originally sounded like?
Class A tube , is my only reply ! , It cannot sound any better at any price ! Just louder !

0E35AFB2-A28F-4794-8980-238CDB28D611.jpeg Well, here is a very bad photo of my system: Innuos Zen Mk2, LinnenberG Telemann DAC/preamplifier, LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs, Duevel Venus omni’s, LinnenberG Maestro SE phone amp with Senn. HD580’s. Not pictured, Holbo air-bearing turntable system. More on that later...

View attachment 1240289 Well, here is a very bad photo of my system: Innuos Zen Mk2, LinnenberG Telemann DAC/preamplifier, LinnenberG Allegro monoblocs, Duevel Venus omni’s, LinnenberG Maestro SE phone amp with Senn. HD580’s. Not pictured, Holbo air-bearing turntable system. More on that later...
The only ones I'm familiar with are the headphones, any impressions you care to share

Manu-The Innuos Zen is a ripper/streamer, has 2TB internal disc storage and has the ability to also stream Tidal and other music streams. This feeds the German made LinnenberG Telemann DAC/preamp via USB. This DAC/pre is very good, volume is controlled in the analog realm via resistor ladder network. Signal moves on with DH Labs balanced IC’s to the Allegro mono amps, which are wide bandwidth class A/B providing 55wpc to the German Duevel Venus loudspeakers which are Omni.

The whole system is fairly high resolution without being like many systems that end up sounding “sterile” and uninvolving musically. Omni speakers have always worked well in my room, and the Duevel Venus have kicked things up a fairly good notch from my former Larsen Model 4 speakers. More meat on the bones in the bass end, and more detail and tone from mid to upper end. I feel other than getting my turntable setup and going, I am at a great place to call it an end point really. Maybe some added tweaks along the way via isolation bits or even some cabling, but about it.

Tim

Here are a few pictures of the Holbo linear tracking air-bearing turntable system. I was working on just getting the Nagaoka MP110 mounted, alignment and setup later once I have a good location for it. I still have yet to receive my phono stage, that should be soon, hopefully.70B80F39-6EB5-4B39-B1BD-8296E94A9300.jpeg 8BAAC09F-BF38-4379-B364-7B84A3CA2923.jpeg 52DB795E-94F5-4110-9B67-2236945D326F.jpeg

Systempic1.jpg Systempic2.jpg

Just a couple of crummy updated pictures of the system. I really need to get that little gray network cable snaked in the wall behind the rack...so much to do, so little time.

SAS Audio Labs. It is really unbelievable, but the owner retired some years ago. Try to find a used one for sale; maybe 5 years ago.

11cfront.jpg

Back
Top Bottom