Show Off Your Small Listening Space

View attachment 663495

My listening space. Loft had to be reinforced/strengthened to hold all the vinyl. Another big wall behind me. In total about 10,000 records up here. Also got my office space up here. Is a great space indeed :)

Very interesting. You must have quite a few more Ikea Kallax/Expedit's that are not shown in the photo to fit the 10,000 records. Looks like about 2500 in the photo, given about 80 albums per 13" opening in a Kallax/Expedit. Must be a huge loft. Like mojoe asked - how's the accoustics?

Also - no vibration transferred to the turntables from the speakers just a few inches away?

Is the space air conditioned?

Here is my listening space. Third floor (attic) of our century old home in downtown Little Rock. This is about half of the room.

Zu Audio Omen - Dirty Weekend
Lounge Audio MKIII Phono Preamp
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB (DC)
NAD C 326BEE
Yamaha CDC‑665 5‑Disc CD Changer

Attachments

• 11826013_10153609529237780_6305781165386577518_n.jpg
    11826013_10153609529237780_6305781165386577518_n.jpg
    115.1 KB · Views: 255
Here's my space:

3.JPG
I like your speaker stands. Did you make them?

Finally have my new Elac B6-based system setup in the second bedroom (10' x 12'). System layout is:

Windows 7 --> JRiver Media Jukebox --> Schiit PYST USB --> Nuforce uDac-2SE --> Kenwood KR-V8030 --> Elac Debut B6. The iPad Mini is serving as my PC monitor via Duet Display (wife was adamant she would not accept a computer monitor sitting there, and $10 for an app beats the heck out of $100+ for some small USB monitor solution.) As it turns out, it works extremely well.

The Kenwood receiver (2nd hand from father-in-law) is clearly holding this system back, though I do have very few hours on the speakers so far. There is a distinct veil on the overall sound, though it still sounds very pleasant...just missing a lot of the inner detail/resolution that I do believe the speakers are capable of revealing, if I had better gear in front of them. Vocals are very clear and honestly fantastic (great tonal accuracy and realism), and there is a very nice center image with a fairly wide and deep soundstage. Vocals appear to come a couple feet from behind the speakers, so there's a nice effect from that. Bass is excellent: tight, crisp, and goes deep (though again I feel held back by the Kenwood). The bass clarity does improve when I pull the speakers out an extra half foot or so when doing more critical listening. In their current position, there seems to be a tad bit muddying. These boys need to breathe with those rear ports.

Mids are excellent, no complaints beyond the lack of resolution. Just not enough instrument separation for my liking. Highs are definitely rolled off a bit, but that doesn't bother me, as I have a tendency to be sensitive to harsh treble energy. Overall, great speakers even with very limiting gear in front of them. Over time I'll be looking to upgrade either the DAC, or get an integrated amp, or a complete integrated system (looking at you, Elac Integrated!).

Attachments

• IMG_4548_web.jpg
    IMG_4548_web.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 485
  • IMG_4551_web.jpg
    IMG_4551_web.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 454
  • IMG_4550_web.jpg
    IMG_4550_web.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 466
  • IMG_4549_web.jpg
    IMG_4549_web.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 464
Really nice looking setup! Bet the iPad is the way to go.

It really is, surprisingly. Though it is obviously a small screen, it is perfectly functional for simple music server access. Now I'm having the internal debate whether I should convert all my FLAC files to ALAC and use iTunes instead, that way I can use the Remote app on my phone and not even need to move from my seat...decisions. Thoughts?

This is my newest listening space. Last month, after classes had ended and I had posted final grades, I gutted out this back bedroom (approx. 9x13), which I previously couldn't walk into, and turned it into something I'd always wanted--a library. That was my Christmas gift to myself. The only screen-free room in the house except for the guest bedroom, which needs a similar gutting out, it is home to the re-creation of my college-era system. The receiver and CD changer are recent acquisitions to replace original components that got away from me over the years but everything else I've had since about 1983 or '84. I also had a second cassette deck, but that's okay. I seldom listen to them anymore. You can't see the speakers, which I built in the mid-'80s and have posted about elsewhere on this site, but they're on either side of the sofa. It makes for great stereo separation when napping on the sofa. My vintage vinyl is in the closet where my cat can't get to it to use as a scratching post. It's actually turned into a warm and pleasant listening environment. If I really want to hear the music, this is where I come. If my house is my fortress of solitude, this is my inner sanctum.

Attachments

• P1010553.JPG
    P1010553.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 352
  • P1010552.JPG
    P1010552.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 336
A few new components since my earlier post.

Currently running a Nakamichi MB-4S CDP, A Music Hall A15.3 integrated that I just got today, Pro-Ject 2.9 Classic Wood TT with Sumiko Blue Point 2 cart, and Tekton Lore Reference speakers with a Dayton SUB-800 to add just a little bit to the lowest octaves.

Room is 11x11x8, with carpet pad on the floor and all walls except the front wall behind the speakers. Low-budget stuff.

Attachments

• DSC_0486A.jpg
    DSC_0486A.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 336
  • DSC_0487A.jpg
    DSC_0487A.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 330
  • DSC_0488A.jpg
    DSC_0488A.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 326
  • DSC_0489A.jpg
    DSC_0489A.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 332
  • DSC_0491A.jpg
    DSC_0491A.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 350
It really is, surprisingly. Though it is obviously a small screen, it is perfectly functional for simple music server access. Now I'm having the internal debate whether I should convert all my FLAC files to ALAC and use iTunes instead, that way I can use the Remote app on my phone and not even need to move from my seat...decisions. Thoughts?
You won't need to do that. Just grab an app that let's you control your PC from your phone. I have one called Mobile Mouse Pro on my iPhone.

A fairly modest setup in my 18' x 18' family room. Sansui 9090db receiver driving either Klipsch KG4s or JBL 4312 Control Monitors. I am breaking my back moving speakers up and down the stairs. I can't decide which sound better!

Attachments

• DSC01539.JPG
    DSC01539.JPG
    72.8 KB · Views: 310
  • DSC01540.JPG
    DSC01540.JPG
    51.7 KB · Views: 309
I'm using my 10' x 15' "living room" space for my one and only (highly customized) system. The room itself is big but the space within it for building a system not so much.

Sources:
Computer line out - my computer is also my TV and BD player
Technics SL-1210 MK2 w/ AT95e cart - bought several years ago from a friend while still in production

Amp:
Pioneer SX-780 - purchased last year and couldn't be happier
HK330 (left) - just for looks, a gift from a friend and has a muddy right channel. Maybe someday....

Speakers:
KEF Coda III's - acquired several years ago off craigslist, great affordable vintage 2-way
Pioneer CS-911's - bought from a friend four years ago for dirt cheap, I cannot praise these highly enough

Notes:
I love the 4-speaker sound, especially when i'm in the desk chair right in front of the coffee table; gives me an eargasm every time. However, there are several cons to the setup as you might have noticed - turntable speaker and amp on one vulnerably-located end table, a 30ft line out from the computer, and then a 30ft set of speaker wires from amp to the KEF's all through the same conduit. I'm also using the A+B amp outputs and of course, the Pioneer's dominate the KEF's in the back half of the room, which sounds a little weird for TV/movies, but is a plus for music. But hey, I dig it and that's what counts.

Attachments

• IMG_0778.JPG
    IMG_0778.JPG
    44.3 KB · Views: 152
So I have done some rearranging of space and equipment and thought I would post some pics for you guys. For my main vinyl rig I am using a Sansui AU-717, Technics 1210 MK II, and Polk Monitor 7s. My computer system for streaming is a Pioneer SX 535, and Polk Monitor 5 jrs. My living room system is a Marantz 2230, Rega P 1, Onkyo C-7030 cd player, Polk TSI 200s , and for just a small boost Emotiva A-100 Mini-X. I am a Polk junkie and am just a vintage equipment lover. I am so happy right now with everything, I just love the sound, looks, and it all makes me feel happy as hell:banana::rockon: IMG_0365.JPG IMG_0367.JPG IMG_0369.JPG IMG_0371.JPG

I'm really starting to like the look of the Zu speakers, how do they sound? Would you describe them smooth or sharp?
The Zu Omens that I have are a very Natural sounding speaker if that makes any sense as in audio terms. Zu's like tubes as I have used them with SS gear and I always come back to Tube gear with Zu, They are not for everyone as we all have different taste. But I will never sell them as I'm very happy with Zu. I went to the audio show in chicago in 2014 and Sean had the Druid's matched up with Peachtree and I told him that it was not the right match for me. The MP301 is only 6.5 WPC and it rocks.. Yes I LOVE Zu Speakers and I listen to them more than the Legacy HD's

The Zu Omens that I have are a very Natural sounding speaker if that makes any sense as in audio terms. Zu's like tubes as I have used them with SS gear and I always come back to Tube gear with Zu, They are not for everyone as we all have different taste. But I will never sell them as I'm very happy with Zu. I went to the audio show in chicago in 2014 and Sean had the Druid's matched up with Peachtree and I told him that it was not the right match for me. The MP301 is only 6.5 WPC and it rocks.. Yes I LOVE Zu Speakers and I listen to them more than the Legacy HD's
I wonder how they would sound with my vintage Mcintosh SS amp, the Mc2105 sounds very much like a tube amp....

Back
Top Bottom