Spotify from ipad into hi-fi?

Neo-Luddite

Freeloader
Forgive me if this is a dumb question. I have Spotify on my iPad and I'd like to play it through my hi-fi. My CD player has a USB port but when I plug the iPad in, it says no support.

Thanks much...

Chromecast Audio.....Spotify is pretty much the only app for IOS
Premium sounds ok. I've had a few issues but for the price its a no brainer

One other option if you want to use a separate DAC (the DAC inside the iPad, I find, is not the greatest), would be to use an AirPort device to AirPlay Spotify through to your home stereo. You'll have to double check on that though, but I believe that would be how you do it.

One other option if you want to use a separate DAC (the DAC inside the iPad, I find, is not the greatest), would be to use an AirPort device to AirPlay Spotify through to your home stereo. You'll have to double check on that though, but I believe that would be how you do it.
You would need an Airport Express or AppleTV (or a third party vendor product with Airplay built in) for Airplay. While there are some apps that work with Chromecast, Airplay will work with all iOS apps (at least every app I have tried) and is currently a lot more flexible. If you use Android, a Chromecast makes more sense.

I have both and the Chromecast audio has not worked its way into more normal use. However, I use Apple Music and the Outcast app for most listening and on Chromecast they are a no go.

You would need an Airport Express or AppleTV (or a third party vendor product with Airplay built in) for Airplay. While there are some apps that work with Chromecast, Airplay will work with all iOS apps (at least every app I have tried) and is currently a lot more flexible. If you use Android, a Chromecast makes more sense.

I have both and the Chromecast audio has not worked its way into more normal use. However, I use Apple Music and the Outcast app for most listening and on Chromecast they are a no go.

That's the info I was after, thanks!

Also, if you have a PC, you can use AirServer (but it costs $18.99).

That's the info I was after, thanks!

Also, if you have a PC, you can use AirServer (but it costs $18.99).
I don't know about Airserver, but I have used Airfoil and I often recommend it...especially if you have more than one Airplay device.

I use the Chromecast Audio right now at my partners house. At home my Mac mini is the source and my iPad is just a fancy remote control.

Audioquest just announced at CES a few days ago that they're coming out with an iOS/Android compatible version of their Dragonfly dac. I believe that would be the ultimate solution.

I use the Chromecast Audio right now at my partners house. At home my Mac mini is the source and my iPad is just a fancy remote control.

Audioquest just announced at CES a few days ago that they're coming out with an iOS/Android compatible version of their Dragonfly dac. I believe that would be the ultimate solution.
I currently use a Dragonfly DAC with iOS (you can see "my stuff" thread for how that is possible). It is nice for headphones, but I much prefer Airplay since I can control what is playing while still keeping my mobile device available for other things. The other upside to Airplay is that you can charge your iOS device while using it. For me, Airplay far outweighs parking my iPhone/iPad across the room. The Dragonfly is nice for trips and listening to headphones in areas that I don't have Airplay/DAC/Amp, though.

There are rumors that Apple will remove the headphone jack on the iPhone, so that may bring about wireless charging or some sort of way to charge while listening to the DAC, but we will have to wait and see.

I currently use a Dragonfly DAC with iOS (you can see "my stuff" thread for how that is possible). It is nice for headphones, but I much prefer Airplay since I can control what is playing while still keeping my mobile device available for other things. The other upside to Airplay is that you can charge your iOS device while using it. For me, Airplay far outweighs parking my iPhone/iPad across the room. The Dragonfly is nice for trips and listening to headphones in areas that I don't have Airplay/DAC/Amp, though.

There are rumors that Apple will remove the headphone jack on the iPhone, so that may bring about wireless charging or some sort of way to charge while listening to the DAC, but we will have to wait and see.

With partner and I moving in together Airplay + Airport Express is looking to be what we will be using in our condo in a few months.

With partner and I moving in together Airplay + Airport Express is looking to be what we will be using in our condo in a few months.
For my needs, it is the best method because I can use pretty much any native app on iOS and send audio to it.

For my needs, it is the best method because I can use pretty much any native app on iOS and send audio to it.

She maintains an iTunes collection and we both are addicted to podcasts (though I use a UE Boom for most of those). The CCA was a neat inexpensive solution for streaming Spotify to her Yamaha however it just seems like Airplay is indeed the best all around fit for iOS/OSX users.

She maintains an iTunes collection and we both are addicted to podcasts (though I use a UE Boom for most of those). The CCA was a neat inexpensive solution for streaming Spotify to her Yamaha however it just seems like Airplay is indeed the best all around fit for iOS/OSX users.
I love the Overcast podcast app. You should check it out if that isn't what you are using. As you indicate, Bluetooth is also nice for being able to stream any audio from iOS (if you don't care about it being lossy).

I think Casting is too secondary for most iOS app developers at this point, but I would love to see it expand. However, they will probably sell CCAs 5 for a dollar at that point, so might as well wait it out before growing my collection.:biggrin: I have one in one of my setups just so that I could try it out, but it mostly goes unused.

I simply use the mini Jack output to a mini Jack to RCA phono stereo converter cable. No fuss no muss and it works just fine. You do need RCA inputs on the playing unit.

Chromecast and decent RCA.
Works wireless to iPad or iPhone and you are using the Chromecast dac which is good.
Connect to Spotify premium and enjoy.

image.jpeg

Last edited:
AirPlay has the advantage of sending anything playing on your iDevice to the APE wirelessly, where CCA requires the app to have casting built in; most do these days, but Apple Music and a few others don't / won't. If you have a solid, interference-free wifi signal (unlikely in crowded apartment/condo complexes), it's a good choice, and very easy to use. However, it takes two or three times the bandwidth of Chromecast, which pulls the stream directly from the source.

I've found Chromecast can be difficult to get the stream started, though, and the app sometimes gets out of sync with what the CCA is playing, so you need to launch the Chromecast app to stop and restart the stream. When it cooperates, CCA has the advantage of not being dependent on your phone/tablet. AirPlay has the annoying habit of stopping the music any time you browse to a site with embedded music/video files, like allmusic.com, even if you don't start them playing, and muting the music for notifications of any kind. I believe this can be avoided by involving a NAS or PC in the mix, but I've moved beyond those years ago myself.

I use a different, all-inclusive system designed exclusively for streaming music, with a range of very high quality powered speakers as well, which has none of these issues, but many, many advantages, but is a bit more expensive. You gets what you pays for. I've tried 'em all, and will stick with the best.

Since this thread got bumped, I wanted to mention that you can now charge the iPad while you have it plugged into a USB DAC. The new lightning to Camera connection kit has two inputs now (USB and Lightning). You can plug the DAC into the USB and the lightning into power.

As a side note, I haven't noticed music muting via Airplay while getting notifications. I will have to look into that. Maybe it depends on whether you have the notification setup to send sound when you get one? Not sure. ( personally, I don't have sound with my notifications, that would get old fast). The answer for the All Music issue is to download an ad blocker. I highly recommend Refine since it allows you to whitelist websites that aren't being totally obnoxious with ads.

Last edited:
I have an Audio Engine B1 Bluetooth DAC attached to my Sansui Seven via RCA inputs. I play Spotify from my iPad that way. It sounds very nice to me. I read that the DAC in iPhones is actually fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom