More spam with new site?

cubby01

aka Buck
Is it just my perception or has something about the sign up process changed that allows more spam to get through. New threads or post started by "New Member" that are random adverts or links to unrelated things, etc. They get flagged easily enough but I don't recall seeing as many under the old software. Was pretty rare actually.

Last edited:
Hiya,

About the same.

Like anything else spammy the spammers evolve and the countermeasures take a bit to adjust to counter the "New" spam.

Spam is a growing thing you know. I spend all day battling it back for my clients.

Frannie

I have only seen one and promptly reported it.

I used to own and run a small forum (billiards related) and know 1st hand how hard it is to keep them out, and how big a help it is to admin and mods when good members report it.

I have seen a "female,20" (Profile info) several times in the last days. Every time with a new user title. So there is a spammer who enters the forum again and again, last time was today.

Some of the spammer history, that I built up over 12 years of being AK's gatekeeper, was lost in the change. So, some spammers are getting through. I was always tougher, to get past, than StopForumSpam, but that's where we are starting, and we are catching more than we were, immediately after the changeover.

Unfortunately, there are several ways to circumnavigate spam filters, and the spammers are always working hard to find ways to break the latest solutions.

On a personal note, thank you, all, for your reporting of spammers on the board. It helps keep the board clean, and also helps us build a history.

Thanks for the support.

I reported a couple today and one a couple days ago.
I figure the mods can't be everywhere at all times so I'll try to help keep AK clean by reporting any I see.

Some of the spammer history, that I built up over 12 years of being AK's gatekeeper, was lost in the change. So, some spammers are getting through. I was always tougher, to get past, than StopForumSpam, but that's where we are starting, and we are catching more than we were, immediately after the changeover.

Unfortunately, there are several ways to circumnavigate spam filters, and the spammers are always working hard to find ways to break the latest solutions.

On a personal note, thank you, all, for your reporting of spammers on the board. It helps keep the board clean, and also helps us build a history.

Thanks for the support.

Thank you, Ernie. Hey, where's your avatar?

The spammers seem oddly attracted to this sub forum, maybe because of the name "New Format", most of the rubbish I have reported was posted here. :idea:

In a year or so, I have only found one. Promptly reported of course. I think it was the female,20 spammer as well.

I have seen a "female,20" (Profile info) several times in the last days. Every time with a new user title. So there is a spammer who enters the forum again and again, last time was today.
Just about the same time every night, about 10pm pst..Chris and I are there every night to welcome them:D

Thanks for the support.

You da man! :D

On a couple of other forums I work with, posts from new members go into a moderation queue, and once they make enough posts where we can see that they are legit, the restriction is removed. It is more work but it is now very rare if someone gets past us. We use the other available tools as well. So far, so good.

Back
Top Bottom