High End Turntables

@gregswaim That EAR 324 would be ideal for me if I used a line stage preamp. That front panel adjustability and the stereo/mono switch are two features I'd appreciate. It's probably outside of my budget though. ;)

The pics really do not do veneer or green top justice. Not sure if it hits the price tag of this thread but if I had to buy it outright it might.
Several friends helped with plinth building.
It weighs 53lbs and is 10 layers of 1 inch 13ply baltic birch.
This was my first veneer job so I can not believe the curves and everything turned out so well. Veneer is walnut.
The top is painted Brit Racing Green. The entire table once finished was sprayed with several coats of satin poly. I don't like shiny.
Table Garrard 301. Tonearm Jelco 12". Cartridge Denon DL110.
IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg

The EAR is fantastic, IMO. I use mine with a McIntosh MA6500 solid state integrated amplifier. It's perfect for me. :)

-Greg

The EAR 324 is the most user friendly fully adjustable phono preamp I've come across. I really want one, but they're rare as hen's teeth used.

Seti,
very tastefully done. So how does it sound? I just got a 9" Jelco for my very modded 1210 Technics and love it.

Seti,
very tastefully done. So how does it sound? I just got a 9" Jelco for my very modded 1210 Technics and love it.

Thanks.
I was using a 60's Jag as inspiration.
I've been listening to it in temporary plinth for too long. Can't say that the plinth makes a huge difference but it does look good. It sounds better than my other tables. I find it difficult to English how something sounds. The main problem is that the table looks so good everything else I have looks like crap. lol

The pics really do not do veneer or green top justice. Not sure if it hits the price tag of this thread but if I had to buy it outright it might.
This was my first veneer job so I can not believe the curves and everything turned out so well. Veneer is walnut.
The top is painted Brit Racing Green. The entire table once finished was sprayed with several coats of satin poly. I don't like shiny.
IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg

Nicely done!
:thumbsup:

IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg
Looks beatiful, I love these old, one of a kind turntables, congratulations.

Working on one table but after seeing some of these I almost feel compelled to abandon this project and move to something a bit higher up the scale!

And instead of a project just buy something that is plug and play.

Working on one table but after seeing some of these I almost feel compelled to abandon this project and move to something a bit higher up the scale!

And instead of a project just buy something that is plug and play.

Keep with it Ken.

Onward and forward. I'm sure it will look pretty cool.

I have a lot of projects and not much progress going on. It always seems like the weekends get the bad weather, its like mid 50's today much to cold to work in the shop.

Last edited:
Well I suppose if I tally up the cost of Audio Technica OC 9 III cartridge, Marc Morin's custom upgrades, custom Lace wood base, Ortofon Hi Jack lift, Yamamoto ebony head shell, and Analysis Plus cables I can hit the $1500 cost of admission with this one.

Even a lowly AR XA can play in this thread!
index.php

Regards
Mister Pig

Attachments

• IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0138.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 872
  • IMAG0138.jpg
    IMAG0138.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 31
IMG_6522.jpg

IMG_8283.jpg

IMG_8271.jpg
Beautiful table! 301 in nice condition are worth $1800 to $2000 pretty easily these days. You have a wonderful table. The crowning achievement would be to put a high performance moving coil on it to match all those wonderful bits and pieces you have there. You did a great job on it, I certainly am jealous.

Regards
Mister Pig

sdfsdf
Beautiful table! 301 in nice condition are worth $1800 to $2000 pretty easily these days. You have a wonderful table. The crowning achievement would be to put a high performance moving coil on it to match all those wonderful bits and pieces you have there. You did a great job on it, I certainly am jealous.

Regards
Mister Pig

Thanks and in all honesty I am scared of the cartridge rabbit hole as I may never come back. I will be trying the old standard Denon 103 before really getting into the cartridge thing. I have several projects that need funds first including veneering my bass horns, building two amplifiers, and a custom system rack. Once they are out of the way I'll focus on crazy cartridges. I've heard cartridges ranging in value of $50 to $12000. I found it interesting that price is not always indicative of quality of sound or what I liked. Should be fun.....

OK I'll play some more...I just got this one going today...:)

This deck totally sucks and blows:p
SOTA Star Sapphire and Eminent Technology Tonearm 2

The platter is vacuum hold down= sucks
The tonearm is air bearing= blows

I'll post better photos later

IMG_3013.jpg IMG_3014.jpg IMG_3017.jpg IMG_3016.jpg

Back
Top Bottom