PIcking up my A-s2100 this weekend (currently using A-s2000)

Nice review Spookyfoot

I was wondering what happened with your new toy. Interesting. Also interesting you have the Ygdrassil. I was thinking about that. Have the Teac UD501 which is pretty good but I dont hear much difference between the DAC and straight out of my Marantz CD6004 or Oppo 103.

Your take on the 2100 vs 2000 pretty much agrees with my ears. I love mine. My local Hifi dealer still refuses to acknowledge the line. "I cant sell Yamaha". Heaven forbid, that's just wrong compared to the $3000 digital coax he sells.

How about the phono? Are you using it? They upped the phono IMO.

Nice review Spookyfoot

I was wondering what happened with your new toy. Interesting. Also interesting you have the Ygdrassil. I was thinking about that. Have the Teac UD501 which is pretty good but I dont hear much difference between the DAC and straight out of my Marantz CD6004 or Oppo 103.

Your take on the 2100 vs 2000 pretty much agrees with my ears. I love mine. My local Hifi dealer still refuses to acknowledge the line. "I cant sell Yamaha". Heaven forbid, that's just wrong compared to the $3000 digital coax he sells.

How about the phono? Are you using it? They upped the phono IMO.

I really like the Ygdrassil, it replaced the Schiit Gungnir I had in my system and it also has been a very nice improvement. Luckily I have a dealer in Toledo that carries Yamaha so I went through them, I like having a local dealer to back up any issues if at all possible.

I gave up vinyl a number of years ago when I made the switch over to CD's & a digital server....from what I've read online from folks that the phono stage on the 2100 is excellent.

I have had both the 2000 and 2100 (and the A-S1000) and you guys have hit the nail on the head on the differences between the 2000/2100. The 2100's bass was the best I have heard of any amp I have had. Deep, rich and tuneful. Enjoy!

I'm now getting on with the lil' baby brother in the family, the A-S801...not a bad amp for the money, quite enjoyable. Cheers.

Last edited:
Great thread! I am strongly considering getting my first integrated amplifier and Yamaha is very much within my sights.

Last edited:
Lets not ignore that any old amp will need a complete overhaul. Thats going to run 500 - 800 bucks.

Here's a good review/shootout including the 2100. Beware, this might jack up the market on used CA-2010's.

:D

Finally vintage not less detailed than modern if systematic comparison made.
For me big disadvantage of 2100 is physical size with depth that expands beyond any today's a/v rack.

I have the A-S2100 and the A-S2000. I love both of them, but the 2100 is definitely better. So I now bi-amp my system, using the 2000 to drive the bass and the 2100 to drive the Mid-Bass, mids and highs.

I uploaded both the 2100 and 3000 service manuals to the digital docs site. Circuit wise the 2100 and 3000 are identical. The 3000 has a toroidal transformer, larger meters and extra set of balanced inputs, plus some additional copper shielding inside. Sound wise......well they are neck and neck. Both are great! I wish I had the larger meters of the 3000 though...

My review of the 2100

Good to see so many happy A-S2xx owners out there!

Just over a year ago I was in the market for a new integrated amp. As much as I'd have loved to have bought the A-S2100, at the time it was about £800GBP more than the A-S1100... which was already way over the original £800GBP budget I'd set myself :biggrin: so I 'made do' with the A-S1100 and have been very happy with it.

I personally think Yamaha is probably an underrated brand and has long-made great HiFi components. I'll bet if you put an A-S1100 or A-S2100 in a different case with some esoteric (read Western) brand name on it, the HiFi press would purr about it and say how great it is. Alas I think there's still some of the anti-Japanese snobbery that has existed since the 60s/70s.... :rolleyes:

Good to see so many happy A-S2xx owners out there!

Just over a year ago I was in the market for a new integrated amp. As much as I'd have loved to have bought the A-S2100, at the time it was about £800GBP more than the A-S1100... which was already way over the original £800GBP budget I'd set myself :biggrin: so I 'made do' with the A-S1100 and have been very happy with it.

I personally think Yamaha is probably an underrated brand and has long-made great HiFi components. I'll bet if you put an A-S1100 or A-S2100 in a different case with some esoteric (read Western) brand name on it, the HiFi press would purr about it and say how great it is. Alas I think there's still some of the anti-Japanese snobbery that has existed since the 60s/70s.... :rolleyes:
The A-S1100 is an excellent Integrated Amplifier :) Better than my A-S2000 and Almost as good as my A-S2100. Good choice and is also the same one I recommended to my good friend who is very happy with it! :thumbsup:

Another Yamaha fan here. I have the A-S1000 and it sounds very good. 48.5 pounds of sonic goodness! I bought this used here on AK. I wanted the 1100 but decided to settle on the 1000. I'm in no way unhappy with it. I've even learned to like the minimalist front face. Two small amber colored LEDs let me know it's on. Yamaha didn't even see the need for a light on the front volume control. It is motorized however. I put a thin strip of aluminum tape on it so I can see about where the volume is. Thats the only problem with this unit, nothing bothersome though. I agree with the comments about how some of Yamaha's audio gear is quite underrated.

Another Yamaha fan here. I have the A-S1000 and it sounds very good. 48.5 pounds of sonic goodness! I bought this used here on AK. I wanted the 1100 but decided to settle on the 1000. I'm in no way unhappy with it. I've even learned to like the minimalist front face. Two small amber colored LEDs let me know it's on. Yamaha didn't even see the need for a light on the front volume control. It is motorized however. I put a thin strip of aluminum tape on it so I can see about where the volume is. Thats the only problem with this unit, nothing bothersome though. I agree with the comments about how some of Yamaha's audio gear is quite underrated.
Agreed! Way underrated. I'll put my 2100 up against any Boutique integrated amp costing 3x the price and with confidence.

My AS-1100 is stellar! It took me awhile, but once it sunk in I realized this amp somehow manages to be extremely transparent, while also musical, with great dynamics, low end response and definition, tone purity and....on and on. Great amp, unless you want to continue on the hi-fi merry go round and have lots of money to spend playing around, one doesn't need to look at much else. And the fact that they put it in a really good phono-preamp just makes Yamaha the bees knees.

Lets not ignore that any old amp will need a complete overhaul. Thats going to run 500 - 800 bucks.

Can anyone chime in that has completed a full 'restoration' on a ca-2010? Or is there anyone here on this form that has actually compared the two?

I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a 2100... but I'd hate to spend all that money on what would almost be a linear transfer.

I have a completely original CA-2010, holds adjustment within factory spec. My local tech here is renowned as one of the best on the west coast... his advice is 'don't mess with it'.

Can anyone chime in that has completed a full 'restoration' on a ca-2010? Or is there anyone here on this form that has actually compared the two?

I have been kicking around the idea of picking up a 2100... but I'd hate to spend all that money on what would almost be a linear transfer.

I have a completely original CA-2010, holds adjustment within factory spec. My local tech here is renowned as one of the best on the west coast... his advice is 'don't mess with it'.
You'd have to do a side by side test. What I can tell you is that my A-S2100 has an excellent circuit topology, built like a tank and makes my Sony TA-77ES sound inferior.
Sony TA-77ES
Sony TA-N77ES 0.jpg
A-S2100 Internals
Yamaha_A-S2100_Internal1-1.jpg

CA-2010 Internals
pictwentytwo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom