Classic High-End Gear

By the way,have another tube enthusiast buddy 5 minite away that has his mc240 set up with a mc20 pre and Klipsch horns I can a/b to sort out any advantages of one amp with another.Ive heard his system and purely compared to my Fisher 50a' mono's/Fisher 400c and differences in sound quality are very,very hard to discern..splitting hairs realy on which sounds better,,both excellent/I use Large cabinet Stephens Tru-sonics Full rangers with JBL horns.

hunter

hunter

Cornwall's 1974 with upgraded crossovers.
Fisher BA6000 cool little 100wpc amp with lighted meters
NAD3020 highest selling integrated receiver of its time, NAD 1020 really sounds good on" Savard" speakers. Now there is a speaker you probably never heard of from the 80"s.
Two VRD mono tube amps with Gold Lion KT88's, and a Blueberry (Tube) preamp.
Hafler DH200, Yamaha M-85, Adcom GFA 555.....of them all nothing beat the MC402 I had to sell

Someone mentioned the Quad ESL 57s, I think the 63s should also be mentioned.

I'll second the Yamaha M-85 - I used to have one, with a C-85. Selling those was a terrible decision :(

Props to Sony for the TA-N88 and TA-N7B power amps. Both from the 70s. The '88 was a digital switching amp ...from the 70s! And styling that is truely timeless (IMO). The '7B... the most beautiful piece of audio design in audio design history.

been there done that with the pioneer spec eq...sold
Tube equipment rocks ... special mention to the spec 1 tho.my last solid state to pre to sell.
Fisher 400 c walks on it.....

hunter

Granted quad is an acquired taste, but ... hail to the king! The Sansui QRX-9001 was top of the line and state of the art in quadraphonic development, and certainly more that capable of satisfying most any power hungry afficianados as well ... 2X mode can tickle 200wpc.

Also a purty lil thang ...

completed2.jpg

I figure I put a good hundred hours into the restoration over the span of several months ... and don't regret a minute of it!
That thing is as ugly as it sounds. Uggh man.. ever listen to ANYTHING else, Johnny ??? LOL

Point/Counterpoint...

Completely disagree with post #39, which is perfectly fine as all of us are just expressing opinions and preferences even if it might sound like the stating of facts.

Hardly a Mac hater, I owned nothing but Mac for decades, mostly their SS offerings starting from the 70's and it was the best of what I had heard. Got into tubes in the 90's and had their 275 and C22 even their MC2000. Eventually sold them as 300b SETs became my passion and still is.

In the early 2000's I bought a 10b which I fell in love with. That led to a 7c which really surprised me when, out of curiosity, I used it to drive a new Pass XA.5 amp in my main system which uses a "modern" CJ ART preamp. I can see why the 7c has become so sought after and their price has kept climbing. Well, that led to an 8b to complete the vintage trifecta. I alternate listening between that vintage system and my modern system and each one has something special about it. More recently, through some good fortune, I was able to get a mint pair of the 9 monos that had been on my bucket list. They are something else. It's been about 5 months now and I still get excited every time I turn them on. All in all, a very nice musical system that is/has given me countless hours of enjoyment.

So, "IMO"...I rate the Marantz 7c, 8b, the 9's and 10b as some of the best ever. They sound better than much of the newer, more expensive gear I've tried. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)

Last edited:
Hello A New Member here I was just wondering how and where you would get the knowledge to restore such a complex unit

Hello A New Member here I was just wondering how and where you would get the knowledge to restore such a complex unit
Don't know what unit your talking about but stick around here and ask questions and you'll learn what you need to.

Welcome to AK

Three to add from my collection...

I will add my well tempered classic with it's unflappable tonearm. The ESS Trans-Static I speakers. Three way transmission line design with electrostatic panels. And lastly, Infinity original Monitor speakers with their Walsh tweeters.

Back
Top Bottom