Rare, hard to find, uncommon Pioneer components

I know a few years back when i was on the hunt for a A-27 with Series 20 labeling rather than Pioneer, that seemed rather hard to find. When i finally did find one they went for a lot more than the Pioneer labeled units. I ended up with a Pioneer labeled unit & love it to death, great amp.

BTW a retired stereo salesman from the 70's-late 80's told me Pioneer Corp. informed certain dealers that Series 20 components were supposed to go out the door as complete sets but some how that was a non-starter at this price point due to declining sales in audio by the late 70's. His guess is this is why some are labeled Series 20 & the rest Pioneer which the ladder was sold separately. This makes sense to me seeing as i never seen any catalogs that actually had pictures of a Series 20 rig like the SPEC's. Also when i did research when hunting for & after i got my A-27 i found out two bits of info that the salesman said made a lot of sense. 1) After collecting serial # on about 20 units for sale since 2011 & using AK's Pioneer database all of these (20) units were made in April-Ocotber, 1978. 2) Serial #'s that started with 3600 were the Series 20 labeled units & units that started with 2900 are Pioneer labeled. I stopped collecting data in Dec.2013 because the variables never changed; it all fit the above info. Note this was only for the A-27, i would not be surprised if the rest of the line was treated the same way. One quick production run, limited numbers made & sell till all gone. I think that might be about 1981 for the A-27.In the time span i collected the data only three Series 20 A-27's came across my path. So the Series 20 version A-27 is a rare version of a some what rare Pioneer amp.

Hello nkotb here, I'm curious what that sign would go for...A fellow pionerd of mine has one with a pedestal. I'm near Toronto and no I did not misspell pioneer; it's an expression I like to think I came up with...

Last edited:
RARE!! Pioneer C-Z1a Preamplifier

For those who admire Z serie

$_12.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=201059635424

this looks like half an NEC a-910 with the led display of an mcs 3248/3249

Wow I'd say that's rare for NZ. I'm in Ontario, Canada and they come up once every couple of months around here on Kijiji or canuckaudiomart.com. By the way if you're looking for the toggle switch knob there's one for sale right now on canuckaudiomart (I'm not the seller) go into DIY you'll see it for $8.00 CDN I think. Free to join but I wonder how much shipping will sting:crazy:

Wow I'd say that's rare for NZ. I'm in Ontario, Canada and they come up once every couple of months around here on Kijiji or canuckaudiomart.com. By the way if you're looking for the toggle switch knob there's one for sale right now on canuckaudiomart (I'm not the seller) go into DIY you'll see it for $8.00 CDN I think. Free to join but I wonder how much shipping will sting:crazy:

Thanks mate - I'll check it out. I actually use a system called Youshop which belongs to NZPost for shipping. Once the item hits the Youshop warehouse in the US, it automatically gets forwarded to me in NZ (once the appropriate payment is made). Thanks for the heads up :)

Hey Mark I just went in to check. It's still there, it's $10.00 CDN the member's name is laric123, the item number is item#649256423, the Pioneer part number for future reference is #AAD-139. It's known as a power switch cap, not what I called it in last post. It's on the second page in DIY, in a plastic bag laid on a red background. Good luck. Let me know if you get it just for fun ok

Last edited:
Thanks mate - I'll check it out. I actually use a system called Youshop which belongs to NZPost for shipping. Once the item hits the Youshop warehouse in the US, it automatically gets forwarded to me in NZ (once the appropriate payment is made). Thanks for the heads up :)

Hey Mark I just went in to check. It's still there, it's $10.00 CDN the member's name is laric123, the item number is item#649256423, the Pioneer part number for future reference is #AAD-139. It's known as a power switch cap, not what I called it in last post. Good luck. Let me know if you get it just for fun ok

I'm still figuring out the quote on this forum :dunno:

Thanks Dave, I checked it out. The seller was less than impressed about posting one single switch cap but I've asked him to work out a postage cost for me anyway.

Thanks Dave, I checked it out. The seller was less than impressed about posting one single switch cap but I've asked him to work out a postage cost for me anyway.
He actually complained? Wow anyway you found it that's cool. At least you only have to (well you don't really have to) buy it once an have it forever I hope it works out for you. I'm actually picking up an SX-880 for $225 next week at least it's less than 1 hr. drive and not overseas. :)

He actually complained? Wow anyway you found it that's cool. At least you only have to (well you don't really have to) buy it once an have it forever I hope it works out for you. I'm actually picking up an SX-880 for $225 next week at least it's less than 1 hr. drive and not overseas. :)

Awesome, will be cool to see some pics :) I don't want to upset you by telling you mine cost me $10 US and it works perfectly - oh sorry just said it ! :)

Awesome, will be cool to see some pics :) I don't want to upset you by telling you mine cost me $10 US and it works perfectly - oh sorry just said it ! :)
That's ok it seems the prices for used gear are much higher in Canada than elsewhere although there are still $10-$20 receivers to be had. But around here I've never seen an SX 880 for any less than that ($225 on line). Last fall there was one on Kijiji in Mississauga listed for $400 but I don't think it sold; reposted 3 times and then I think they gave up. Kijiji is ripe with people asking waaay too much for old gear. The big deals are to be had at yard sales and thrift shops (can't wait for spring). As far as this thread about rare and hard to find Pioneer gear, we're on topic because the deal for P is getting pretty rare too. If you want a shock check out Kijiji Ontario's electronics ads for receivers!

I have been trying to find a:

Condenser Cardioid Dual Microphone Pioneer Cm-2s For Live Recording
- would love to use it with my pioneer 707 - there is one for sale in Lebanon but the seller can't send to the USA. Anyone have a extra one in there pocket?
Joe

TZ-9LTD. I think only made for N America in 1992. Japanese made cabinets, all TAD drivers and X-overs. image.jpeg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom