Recommended Modern Amps

Over the last couple years I've had several integrateds, went through a vintage kick, and then modern. My background is solid state. I tried tubes and it was empty for me. All of the vintage units I restored. Here goes my recommendations of what I know (all played with LS-50's, Arcam rDAC, SVS subs, MiniMac, Pure Music):

1. Luxman L-505ux
2. Sansui AU-717 (amazing amplifier, best value)
3. Accuphase E-202 (more accurate than 2 but slightly more boring)
4. Pioneer SA-9100 (warm sound)
5. Prima Luna Dialogue Premium ($3400 upgraded with kt150's, go figure)
6. Pioneer A-71 (bump by the SA-9100when I got it)

I'm going to work with the Luxman for awhile.

Some of the amps on your list are not modern amps, the subject of this thread.

at the 250 hour mark, I can now confidently recommend anyone consider a Naim Supernait2. A great amp, detail, soundstage, timbre are all excellent. Dynamics and bass accuracy are the absolute strengths, frankly close to the best I've heard, with the exception of megabucks systems. At $5300 bucks, these aren't cheap, but I figure I may have this amp for a long while without any urge to upgrade.

I do like that Naim Supernait 2...heard one at my dealer and now I am lusting after it. Need to keep these desires in check!

Can anyone recommend a good integrated under 400-500?
Thanks!

I'm liking my Music Hall A15.3. Sounds nice with my Tekton Lore Reference speakers. Good mm phono section built in. I got mine for less than $400 shipped as an open box on eBay. MSRP is $549.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned Parasound. They make some very nice power amps for the money. John Curl is a noted amplifier designer. I've heard several over the years and they have sounded quite good, even when driving speakers in the $10,000 to $20,000 range. Their Halo series products are first rate, and their newClassic line is surprising good. The 2125 v.2 puts out 150 wpc into 8 ohms (bridgeable to 400 watts), the 2250 v.2 is 275 wpc. I believe list price for the 2250 v.2 is $1400. Sometimes one can find great deals on used Parasounds.

I own four Parasound products, ranging from 12 to 18 years on them. Have never had a repair problem.

Many seem to like the Yamaha A-S501. I've had a lot of Yamahas and the ones I've had did sound pretty darn good.

I've got the A-S501. I prefer my old NAD C 315BEE. The Yamaha is competent, but is a little too forward in the upper midrange for my tastes. Maybe a tubed DAC would help or even a tube phonostage.

I've a Rogue Sphinx tube/class D hybrid integrated. 100w @ 8 ohms & 200w @ 4ohms. Can change tone with (2) 12AU7's. I use nos Mullards. I think it has a good sound for price. I like what I would say is an understated 70's look.

Last edited:
Yaqin MC10T integrated amp- great after some tube rolling, amazing after coupling cap and volume pot upgrades. Best sounding system I have running through B&W DM16 speakers. I'm yet to hear better, makes Dad's Bang & Olufsen system sound like a 90's 3 in 1 system in comparison (not a fan of B&O gear). Running Raytheon Black Plates & PsVane Treasure II preamp tubes, JJ 6CA7 power tubes.

Nobsound MS10D Hybrid amp - initially disappointing though after installing NOS Russian tubes its amazing driving some decent bookshelves (Polk TSi100's) for an inexpensive but great sounding computer sound system. If I had to I could use this in a main system. Best for what I already use it for though I think.

Oldchen Single Ended Pentode amp - point to point wiring. Great sounding with some replacement NOS Russian tubes. Yet to upgrade coupling caps and volume pot though I'll get there. Pretty much the same price as the Nobsound just much better sounding and has the potential to sound better than my Yaqin system once it's had a few upgrades. Using it with Dayton USA PS220-8 drivers in some vintage preyed speaker cabinets.

Yes, I love Chinese amps as they're the only way I can afford a great sounding system here in Australia. We lack the large used market that the US and UK enjoy so that's it for me. They can be upgraded to compete with far higher end gear. It's the speakers set the overall tone for your system.

I figure, since this thread is under the modern values section then all 3 of these systems definitely call under that category.

Last edited:
Is DIY allowed?

I am a huge huge fan of the "Honey Badger" and similar "Wolverine" designs by user ostripper at diyaudio. These are class A/B amps that make ~10ppm of distortion. They are quite simple designs too, requiring no exotic components. Subjectively they sound awesome: there's no glare or grain or grit, plenty of detail with no fatigue.

A lot of open source R&D has gone into these designs. They have Douglas Self's blameless input stage and bootstrapped VAS, and Peter Baxandall's "transitional Miller compensation" which lets the amp reduce output stage distortion much more effectively than typical Miller compensation, like 10s of db quieter.

I'm not aware of a mass-produced amp using this topology.

Back
Top Bottom