Tips and tricks to make the most of your AK experience

Hello! This thread is to point out some simple things that will help you get the answers you're looking for with the least pain.

- First thing, and this is in the Forum Rules, no buying or selling except in a forum designated for it. If you're a member, then you can put ads for selling or buying in the classified section. If you're a subscriber, Bartertown is the place. Anything posted for sale (or covertly fishing for a sale) elsewhere will be moved, edited, and/or deleted.

- Post your thread in the appropriate forum. There are a whole slew of forums here at AK and sometimes it can be confusing. Most times things are pretty easy to figure out. Have a turntable question? Post it in the turntable forum. If you don't get answers to your questions, make sure you're asking the right people.

- Be nice. This goes with the All Audio, No Attitude motto of AK. Pretty easy to figure out.

- Put your location in your profile. In this day and age the anonimity of the internet can be comforting, but you're probably not going to have problems by posting your city or area. This will help immensely when you're asking for help. Check out some "help" threads and you'll find that generally the first question asked back to the original poster (OP) is "Where are you?". If you're asking about what gear to check out, there may be a member or members nearby that have what you're considering. A single live audition will be much more useful than all the opinions on the net.

- When asking a question, give all pertinent details. A question like "I have some brown speakers with big woofers, what receiver should I get?" won't get you a lot of responses. At least not useful ones. Give details like your room size and type, the kind of music you like, listening level, and what you do or don't like about what you've got. There will be very different answers to questions regarding a smallish bedroom where the user likes to listen to Bach at low levels and a large basement room with cinderblock walls where the user likes to blast Van Halen at ear bleeding levels.

- Try the search. Sometimes it's a disagreeable beast, but the search can be your friend. AK has been around for a while and has 60,000+ members. There's a good chance the information you're looking for is already here. Sometimes asking the same question for the 97th time will get you some smart aleck responses. It's not your fault for asking your question, but a quick search might have turned up your information, with interest.

[edit] - Something that has been said many times by management and mods but bears repeating here, AK is not strictly a vintage audio site. It is an audio site. All ages, classes, and types of audio gear are welcome.

- Only quote the relevant portion of a post. It's a waste of bandwidth and fairly annoying when someone quotes an entire post with 5 full size pictures and 2 pages of text so they can say "I agree". Don't be that guy. If you agree, then say you agree but you don't need to quote the whole thing so we can see it again.

If you've got a tip that will help newcomers, post it here.

Enjoy AK!
I just paid you fokes when you changed sight the sight a few months ago.
I don't think I owe any dues.

First time post

Looking forward to great discussion regarding audio gear. I have monitored a few threads and the knowledge and friendliness of the participants is really amazing. My current set up consists of a Marantz 2220, which I am proud to say I am the original owner, a Dennon DP 47F turntable (found at a garage sale), and a pair of Pioneer CS-66's (traded a set of Marantz 4G's for). Sitting home today in 11 F weather spinning Derek & the Dominos, In Concert, enjoying one of the truly simple joys of life!

First time post

Looking forward to great discussion regarding audio gear. I have monitored a few threads and the knowledge and friendliness of the participants is really amazing. My current set up consists of a Marantz 2220, which I am proud to say I am the original owner, a Dennon DP 47F turntable (found at a garage sale), and a pair of Pioneer CS-66's (traded a set of Marantz 4G's for). Sitting home today in 11 F weather spinning Derek & the Dominos, In Concert, enjoying one of the truly simple joys of life!
Hi. My first post as well. Am happy to see there are many here that have a "Mutt" system like I do!

Hi. My first post as well. Am happy to see there are many here that have a "Mutt" system like I do!

Welcome!

that's the cool thing about audio, nothing wrong with a "mutt" system, in fact I am trying to think of companies that you could get all matchy-matchy with and buy *everything* from one mfgr. and end up with a respectable system. Um....

Marantz
Fisher
McIntosh

...am I forgetting anyone?

Add a turntable and the list grows shorter... I guess McIntosh counts, Marantz I don't think ever made TTs but did rebrand some, did Fisher (I mean *real* Fisher) ever have their own branded turntables?

Some will probably argue that all three of those could be improved by using someone else's speakers anyway... (actually this could make an interesting thread. Well, I'd be interested at least)

nb: I have never heard a pair of Pilot speakers, nor have I really read any reviews on them. I don't think if you bought a Pilot console you got a Pilot branded TT did you? My memory says that my grandmother's had a Garrard in it.

Oooh, I got another one... MCS, although *ALL* of that was a rebrand a la Kenmore...

In any case I was just trying to point out that most of us just gleefully rack a bunch of stuff, hook it up, and enjoy... maybe we try to match but maybe we just throw the best stuff we have all in one rack and see what happens.

I see that members on the forum have there system attached to there post. How do I do this? Thanks Tom--Figured it out

Last edited:
Hello! This thread is to point out some simple things that will help you get the answers you're looking for with the least pain.

- First thing, and this is in the Forum Rules, no buying or selling except in a forum designated for it. If you're a member, then you can put ads for selling or buying in the classified section. If you're a subscriber, Bartertown is the place. Anything posted for sale (or covertly fishing for a sale) elsewhere will be moved, edited, and/or deleted.

- Post your thread in the appropriate forum. There are a whole slew of forums here at AK and sometimes it can be confusing. Most times things are pretty easy to figure out. Have a turntable question? Post it in the turntable forum. If you don't get answers to your questions, make sure you're asking the right people.

- Be nice. This goes with the All Audio, No Attitude motto of AK. Pretty easy to figure out.

- Put your location in your profile. In this day and age the anonimity of the internet can be comforting, but you're probably not going to have problems by posting your city or area. This will help immensely when you're asking for help. Check out some "help" threads and you'll find that generally the first question asked back to the original poster (OP) is "Where are you?". If you're asking about what gear to check out, there may be a member or members nearby that have what you're considering. A single live audition will be much more useful than all the opinions on the net.

- When asking a question, give all pertinent details. A question like "I have some brown speakers with big woofers, what receiver should I get?" won't get you a lot of responses. At least not useful ones. Give details like your room size and type, the kind of music you like, listening level, and what you do or don't like about what you've got. There will be very different answers to questions regarding a smallish bedroom where the user likes to listen to Bach at low levels and a large basement room with cinderblock walls where the user likes to blast Van Halen at ear bleeding levels.

- Try the search. Sometimes it's a disagreeable beast, but the search can be your friend. AK has been around for a while and has 60,000+ members. There's a good chance the information you're looking for is already here. Sometimes asking the same question for the 97th time will get you some smart aleck responses. It's not your fault for asking your question, but a quick search might have turned up your information, with interest.

[edit] - Something that has been said many times by management and mods but bears repeating here, AK is not strictly a vintage audio site. It is an audio site. All ages, classes, and types of audio gear are welcome.

- Only quote the relevant portion of a post. It's a waste of bandwidth and fairly annoying when someone quotes an entire post with 5 full size pictures and 2 pages of text so they can say "I agree". Don't be that guy. If you agree, then say you agree but you don't need to quote the whole thing so we can see it again.

If you've got a tip that will help newcomers, post it here.

Enjoy AK!

Yes I found it very helpful I already made that mistake of asking and requesting for some help in regards to connecting some cables to vdt my crown
Dl2 with the other components. In my introduction ... oops!

Even stating your age in your profile page helps. Especially in music forums
I almost always find that the people who get my sometimes, weird taste in music, are usually around the same age as me.
Where, is also good. There aren't many of us AKers in Canada

Dave

If some one disagrees with your POV, that doesn't mean that the other person's POV is wrong!

It just means that they disagree with you. Most times in music/sound/gear, there is no right or wrong...it's just that we come from different times/places/backgrounds.

Even IF the other is wrong, they may eventually see your take...or not.:dunno:

Q

If some one disagrees with your POV, that doesn't mean that the other person's POV is wrong!

It just means that they disagree with you. Most times in music/sound/gear, there is no right or wrong...it's just that we come from different times/places/backgrounds.

Even IF the other is wrong, they may eventually see your take...or not.:dunno:

Q
:thumbsup:
This point of view should not just be used on the site but how one lives their life.

As I read through this thread it was clear to me if your new to the site to make your first post in the "Introduction" forum and have members greet you and start a conversation.

It seems many new members checked in here never to be seen again.

As I read through this thread it was clear to me if your new to the site to make your first post in the "Introduction" forum and have members greet you and start a conversation.

Good point, 4-2-7!:thumbsup:

What made me post this reply was...I almost made a "knee jerk" reply in another thread, and a read a post in "Last word" which brought me back to this POV of taking others' POV's into account.

Was just posting a reminder that we all need at times, esp if coming on board as a newbie...or an oldie.

Q

Good point, 4-2-7!:thumbsup:

What made me post this reply was...I almost made a "knee jerk" reply in another thread, and a read a post in "Last word" which brought me back to this POV of taking others' POV's into account.

Was just posting a reminder that we all need at times, esp if coming on board as a newbie...or an oldie.

Q

That thar's some powerful POV'n, Q.

Much as they (often) do @ the Introductions thread.

^^ P.S. Must be something I'm doin' wrong, seems not a single person I've "welcomed" @ that Introductions thread has stayed around the joint. <insert here 'scrathing head emoticon' like the one we had w/ the "old" forum software>

Back
Top Bottom