wgb113's Listening Room

So I sold the Dynaudios even though I thought the KEF were a little lighter in the bass. The imaging/soundstage and mids/highs were just that much better on the KEFs that it all made up for the difference in bass.

I sold my Benchmark DAC1 USB as a package deal with the Dyns and put the money towards a Benchmark DAC2 HGC. I thought it would be the perfect DAC/preamp combo since it offered analog inputs, digital throughput, and a remote. One of the changes that Benchmark made was with regards to the balanced output level adjustments. The most you could attenuate them was -20dB which in the end proved to not be enough. I couldn't get the volume much past 9:30 (the recommend 11:00 as the linear starting point) and using the unbalanced outputs to feed a sub was still too much of a mismatch in levels.

For S&G (rhymes with pits & jiggles) I pulled an 8" Dayton sub out of the bedroom system and it's given me hope for a 2.1 or 2.2 system, but I need a better way of integrating it (I don't want to use the speaker-level connections - I'd prefer to keep the path to the KEFs as simple and clean as possible.)

attachment.php

Bill

Attachments

• P1030291.jpg
    P1030291.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 259
I decided to send the DAC2 HGC back to MD and put the Parasound up for sale. My options at this point were an NAD C390DD and a headphone amp or a newer McIntosh integrated amp and a DAC.

So here's how it sits now:

attachment.php

Bill

Attachments

• P1030293.jpg
    P1030293.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 216
One piece to the puzzle has arrived:

attachment.php

The other piece should be here by the end of the week....and oh yeah, having a baby in-between...can't wait!

Bill

Attachments

• McIntosh 2.jpg
    McIntosh 2.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 178
A very nice path you have there my friend. It look like you have plenty of fun and I like how you fill everything together. Keep us posted !

All of the new additions in place:

attachment.php

attachment.php

We're loving the sound so far!

Bill

Attachments

• P1030332.jpg
    P1030332.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 353
  • P1030335.jpg
    P1030335.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 167
Hey Art! It's only been a few hours but initial impressions are good. I like that they go deeper than the KEFs. They also add a sort of delicacy at times to the sound, some subtleness and space around instruments that I don't hear in the KEFs. They don't disappear quite as well as the KEFs and not having that single point source will take some getting used to.
I plan on waiting at least a week before deciding which to keep.

Bill

@livestrong thanks! Have you been able to settle on a place so that you can start rebuilding? I haven't seen any updates to your EPIC system thread lately! Hope all is well!

Bill

@livestrong thanks! Have you been able to settle on a place so that you can start rebuilding? I haven't seen any updates to your EPIC system thread lately! Hope all is well!

Bill
Things have been crazy, but I've been having so much fun with audio over the past year! I'm way behind on my writing/posting, but I hope to get it updated soon!

@MudSlideSlim so far so good! I filled the stands with aquarium sand once I felt like placement was dialed in. I think the subs are the limiting factor now but I had planned a turntable upgrade next.

I've sold the KEFs if that tells you anything. I would have loved to have been able to afford keeping them for another system but with that possible TT upgrade and potentially new subs I needed the $$.

Bill

@MudSlideSlim so far so good! I filled the stands with aquarium sand once I felt like placement was dialed in. I think the subs are the limiting factor now but I had planned a turntable upgrade next.

I've sold the KEFs if that tells you anything. I would have loved to have been able to afford keeping them for another system but with that possible TT upgrade and potentially new subs I needed the $$.

Bill

Wow! Hardly a stronger advocate for the KEF's...enjoy those B&W's!!!

Contemplating ditching (nearly) the entire system. The B&Ws and McIntosh will be the first to go. Need to simplify and upgrade some things.

Any updates to your listening space at all? Always enjoy seeing your photos. Too bad all the pics on the first page don't show anymore.
Obviously you went back to the Kefs, but were the B&Ws really any good? I was super surprised to see you ditch the LS50s for the B&Ws.
Thanks for sharing and best regards!

Back
Top Bottom