NO LOVE- speaker forum Yamaha speakers

ThomasB98908

I have posted twice on the speaker forum questions about Yamaha speakers with no response. Guess there is no love for the Yamaha speakers there. I have a Yamaha AS-500 amp and TS-500 tuner with a Yamaha CD player in the bedroom and would like to round the system out with some YAMAHA speakers. The Yamaha NS-333's and the NS- 6490's interest me as I need fairly small 2 or 3 way speakers as the system sits atop my dresser. Any suggestions on these speakers? Thanks

How about the NS-10M? You will mostly get people who like the NS-690 & NS-1000's but the NS-10M was a revelation back in the day.

Being new, the vintage junkies don't know them and it is quite possible that none of the AK regulars have heard them.

I know nothing about them but I would lean towards the simpler and smaller 2-way for bedroom use (and try to hide a little subwoofer somewhere to help round out the bottom end).

How about the NS-10M? You will mostly get people who like the NS-690 & NS-1000's but the NS-10M was a revelation back in the day.

Yeah, I can tell you whatever you want to know about the 690 and 1000's, but know nothing of the two models the OP mentioned. The 690 and 1000 are too big to fit on any normal sized dresser though.

Yeah, same as @captouch, can't tell you anything about those as I have no experience with them. You could check out some of Yamaha's small studio monitors on websites like musiciansfriend.com or the like. There would be some reviews on there for sure. Amazon probably has them with reviews as well. It's worth a shot.:thumbsup:

I've always been of the impression there is a lot of love for older Yamaha speakers here. I'm certainly a big fan of them as well as vintage Yamaha in general. My main music system is a CS-1020 and a pair of NS-690.

I can't speak on the two models you posted but my recommendation would me to seek out on of the smaller vintage mini-monitor type units. Those might give you the best "Yamaha Sound". If I were going to seek out some smaller speakers for really listening to that's what I'd do.

Yamaha speakers... Can't stand them...:rolleyes:

I auditioned a set of mint NS-10's.....It took less than 1 minute to say " no thanks" and hooked the 690's back up.

Lots of love here for Yamaha! Have a pair of ns-690, ns-670, 6 receivers and 2 amps!

Last edited:
Yamaha speakers... Can't stand them...:rolleyes:

I auditioned a set of mint NS-10's.....It took less than 1 minute to say " no thanks" and hooked the 690's back up.
I'm not surprised. Back in 81' or 82' I was in a recording studio and they had a set of NS-10's on the console. I asked about them as they were unfamiliar and assumed they were really good. The engineer said they used them because they weren't good at all, but they were a representation of the crappy speakers most people listened to. He said if you could get the mix to sound good on those then the music would sound good on most systems. The studio used to put a tissue over the tweeter to tone it down a bit.

I have posted twice on the speaker forum questions about Yamaha speakers with no response. Guess there is no love for the Yamaha speakers there. I have a Yamaha AS-500 amp and TS-500 tuner with a Yamaha CD player in the bedroom and would like to round the system out with some YAMAHA speakers. The Yamaha NS-333's and the NS- 6490's interest me as I need fairly small 2 or 3 way speakers as the system sits atop my dresser. Any suggestions on these speakers? Thanks

IMO Yamaha and the TAD division of Pioneer made/make the best speakers of the companies who don't specialize in speakers. Even then, Yamaha has hit quite a few of them out of the park.

I agree that you should ask Yamaha speaker questions here because:
1) You are more likely to get an informed answer
2) Prices on Yamaha speakers a relatively low because they fly under the radar. If you tell everybody about your great fishing hole don't be surprised if it takes more effort to get smaller fish.

There is plenty of love for Yamaha speakers on Audiokarma. One issue is that AK has become very popular, so a thread in the speaker forum can easily get pushed to the 2nd page in just a handful of hours. That might not be enough time for those with knowledge of the speakers to see it and reply. Posting it in this section gives those same people more time to reply before the thread gets kicked to the 2nd page but you might miss some more generalized replies as less people overall check this section on a regular basis. You have the same issue really if you post about Yamaha gear (amps, preamps, tuners, etc), depending on which section you post it in, but there is certainly a lot of love for Yamaha here!

Last edited:
I have the a full set of the modern "NS" speakers. 555, 777, 444, and 333. They look great but only sound ok.

thanks for all the replies - appreciate it. WHITRZAC - are the newer Yamaha speakers lacking in overall tonal quality and imaging? Maybe I'll just stick with the klipsch speakers and spend the money on a good Yamaha turntable <G>....

thanks for all the replies - appreciate it. WHITRZAC - are the newer Yamaha speakers lacking in overall tonal quality and imaging? Maybe I'll just stick with the klipsch speakers and spend the money on a good Yamaha turntable <G>....

My system is used mostly for movies, and my ns333s are side speakers. Non of them sound exceptionally good. They're better than cheap speakers, but they don't sound as good as a set of polk RTis that a friend has.

Very, very cool! Never thought I'd see them get back into that market.

Could a new GT-2000 be far behind ?

jblnut

Only $6600, without the speaker stands... Stands are another $660

Uh, I believe that what you quoted was for _each_ speaker and each stand. Anyone able to read Japanese? I used Google Translate and that's where it appears that the price is each. And they will be available mid 2016.

Here's a pair that's a bit more affordable. List is 2,500 each and B&H has them for 2,000 each. This is actually a new generation of the Soavo 1 series from about a decade ago.

http://usa.yamaha.com/news_events/audio_visual/yamaha_debuts_soavo_ns_f901/

Happy listening,
John

Back
Top Bottom