The changeable systems in the front room(s)

Ds2000

The fi must be higher.
Subscriber
Here is a pic of the last full setup I had. Still with me is the Denon RG preamp, 950es tape deck, and L-1000t tuner. As I have the bug and excitement back, I'll be switching/adding to the setup, and the whole of it will move to the other end of the room where it'll have breathing room. image.jpegimage.jpeg

Last edited:
Dang that's nice looking gear! Any model numbers on the pieces you don't have anymore? Like those Sonys. Amps are they?

Dan

Haha that's typical: give the thread a title that suggests some understatement and then present some of the best gear that is out there.
These power amps are Sony TA-NR1! Some of the very best you can get (and yes, I know there's the bigger TA-NR10 out there as well).

My goodness I found some other old photos of the previous rig with some other also gone goodies. It's just really whetting my appetite for more. I did finally find a tech to restore some other mono-block amps I have. Hoping this third tech is the charm. image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

So after 3 years of looking for a tech to fix these, I finally found one, and almost right in my back yard. Funny how that works sometimes! Anyway from the one pic, can anyone venture a guess? image.jpeg

Well there have been some fun changes a-happening around here. Added a Kenwood L-07D, the Pioneer Elite TZ-9LTD,got the grilles for them a week or so later. Had to trim pulls and snags off them by hand, traded off a Wadia transport, found some tubes I'll list (again) on BT. Lastly, bought some vinyl after a long time not being able to play it. image.jpeg image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Well, as it goes I had tracked them for many years, even before the ease of Internet browsing. Foreign mags, dealer networks, etc. once the 'net became more complete, I took to that. Nothing. And I mean for years. Then a pair in the mid 2000s, but one had totally different transistors in one of e pair. The gentleman tried to make it as a plus, but I prefer original, or to at least know he person who did the work. They were on auction on audiogon and ended somewhere over 16k and that didn't meet the reserve. Dodged that bullet for a non original pair. So now I am realizing there are only a few pair of them arond at all, dang it was looking bleak, maybe they'd be something of desire and memory only.
Then in '13 I was a pair for sale as-is in Canada with a channel down. They were 240v but every one of the X2's made were multi voltage, under the top cover there is a 4 way adjustable power block like the older Accuphase amps used to have, so no problem there I thought. I waited for a while before making an offer, and it was accepted. I got them and sent them right off for repair. Tech one, no deal because there was no service manual available anywhere. 13 months and I found another tech in CT, and as luck would have it a gentleman in Denmark had copies of the service and owners manual, which he sent free(!). No go with this tech either, too worried about sourcing parts for a unit that was outside of his norm. 3rd tech, random recommendation from a new hifi friend, he does all high end machines and has a load of parts connections around the world. This was 2 months ago, and they're done minus a 240v breaker switch on the back, which I just helped find a replacement for.
The issue was a pair of diodes soldered in reverse polarity. Took out stuff before the amp clamped, it's protection circuitry didn't include an ultimate stupidity line.
Anyway, he sourced all exact replacement parts for the one, and has replaced some caps and the 9 or 12 bias control "switches" as he calls them in the other. The plan is to get them back tomorrow. Now to try to find a guy to remove and re-anodize the faceplates. The R. Edge of both suffered some odd scratching somewhere in their life.

Back
Top Bottom