Age and your satisfaction with your Main Rig

It is your money. You earned it. Spend it on what you want when you can.

Junior can go to community college and/or get a job.

Really? I know his parents will raise him in their work ethic so the only issue is if I can help him. So I will spend it on what I want when I want, my grandson.
Regards,
Jim

Really? I know his parents will raise him in their work ethic so the only issue is if I can help him. So I will spend it on what I want when I want, my grandson.
Regards,
Jim

"Have I conceded too soon or made a solid decision based on System satisfaction and concern for the rising cost of education for my grandson Tucker?"

It sounds like you made up your mind then. I thought you were weighing the option of upgraded audio gear or saving the money to give to your grandson.

It took only a few weeks to reaffirm the decision back at the first of March. No Foul on your part!
Regards,
Jim

I'm 55 and I am pretty happy with my main system. But the audionervosa bug has struck me. Lately I have upgraded two of my outlets to Furutech GTX-D gold receptacles with Oyaid bases and covers. I also replaced the 5 cheap industrial grade receptacles in my Consonance power filter with the same Furutech GTX gold as well as one of the receptacles in my Cullen Power box (that the tube amps are connected to since their cords are too short to reach the wall outlet). Then during spring break I have filled the pillars on my Sanus racks with play sand for vibration damping and ordered two sets of Mapleshades Heavyfeet. And ordered a Wyred4sound USB Recovery unit while the sale is still on at their website.

The improvements from each tweak so far has been cumulative with the result being clearer and more dynamic sound. The biggest improvement seems to have been from the new receptacles. I used to think 'how can a receptacle possibly make a difference". So I tried one just to see what would happen. The improvement was obvious so I thought why not upgrade all of them in the audio chain. My system has never sounded better. But curiosity can be expensive (to the tune of $1800 for Furutech receptacles and 2 Oyaid kits).

So am I satisfied with my main rig? I love how it sounds but it is hard to resist trying new things.

I'm 60 and there are a few improvements I can make. I've done quite well with equipment from a questionable era. I've learned so much from this site.

63. Other than a Denon receiver I use mainly for switching purposes at times instead of my Mackie 16 channel mixing board everything I currently have in use is professional studio gear I use for audio production. I also have a large collection of Sony ES, Polk, JBL, Klipsch and other home consumer audio stuff stashed away for use at a later date after I finish moving. The studio is the last thing I'm taking apart for the move.

Having the elderly owner of a record company I've done work for tell me my studio setup is the best he's ever heard was great, he also holds patents on some recording studio designs that are still used today. He's one of the very few people I've ever let come inside of my production studio. No matter what others may have if your setup makes you happy and does what you want it to all is good, we all have different tastes and points of view on this highly addicting love of audio.

52 - currently upgrading my TT to a VPI, would like to upgrade amp within the next 2 - 3 years. Like my speakers but see some new electrostats sometime in my future.

You know, it's all good and is dependent as to where your rig is ands your satisfaction with it. My main premise for this thread was as our hearing capabilities diminish how far should we continue the journey if our rig amazes us every time we sit down to listen?
Regards,
Jim

51 and pretty happy with what I have, I only use certain amps and preamps and I stick with the same CD and TT. I like it loud, clean and warm

46 here. I'm happy and content with my setup/set-ups... so much so infact,that I'm now beginning to concentrate more on the music side (mostly vinyl and CD's).

Born in '58, and turning 58 next month. I've had different setups over the years, but never more pleased with what I have now. If I could change something though, I'd like to set it up in the living room of our house, but the WAF would come into play.

About to turn 55. Became interested in audio gear as a teenager. Through the years I have tried to put together the perfect system a couple of times. Found out the right room is as equal importance as the gear. Had Magneplanar 2.7's in a previous house that sounded spectacular because the room was right for them. Moved to a new home a few years later and could never get them to sound right. However my system sounds fantastic today with a pair of speakers I have kept for over 25 years because they fit the room extremely well. Very happy with my setup now. Keeping it simple: Preamp, power amp, CD player, turntable, 1 pair of speakers. I have found with age that I do stay with brands that have proved themselves to me. Paradigm, Parasound, NAD, Sony, and Yamaha.

I'm 55 now and I've been "chasing-the-sound" since I was a teen. I'm a public school teacher with two kids in college so there's no a huge cash flow for stereo gear but, by searching Craig's List and Ebay, I have put together a pretty sweet system. I now have a mix of modern digital stuff and the best stuff I could never afford back in the '70's. But the best thing I have is a garage dedicated to the stereo, after a certain volume level, you are listening to the room just as much as the equipment. Now I can (and have) installed all kinds of sound treatments; bass traps in the corners, baffles at the first reflection points, diffusers behind the listening spot, etc., and, with the right recordings the sound can be great!

Am I satisfied? Am I done buying gear? Is this the end of my quest?

NOT A CHANCE!!!!!

Just turned 55, also a school teacher (high school) built my systems up through buying and selling gear. Everything else is going because I was able to buy the "end game" system that I never thought I'd be able to ascertain. After all the gear I've gone through this system rewards me every time I listen to it. Magnepans,Classe amps, musical fidelity pre and tube buffer, Richard gray power center, high end speakers cables and cords, meridian director dac from my music collection all ripped to a Mac mini.

51 and I am pretty happy with what I have but there is always room for improvement when the right deal comes and finances are there

I am 55.....and my systems consists of a lot of RS stuff....because I like RS....It isn't my dream system but I sure do like it!

I'm 54 and really happy with the system I've put together. The only upgrades in the future I see are the ability to decode MQA . Really interested in this new technology.

Back
Top Bottom