asilker's Apartment Arrangement *photos*

asilker

Now married and living in an apartment in Chicago so space is a little limited. I intended to write a post when I had everything set just the way I like it, but I'm starting to realize that things are in a pretty constant state of flux. So here's a snapshot of how my space looks right now.

Got my new Reference Five's all refoamed and reclothed. They sound great. Need to replace the turntable RCA cables, so that's next on the list.

Here's from the couch (Stop Making Sense on the tv):
ec1e3b99edf99bf3a74be94547bc0581.jpg

And here's a few closups:
fb3d6fed9a67ee3d036803ba9fec8dde.jpg

a8d92cb439e5533826b9b15145c20fc5.jpg

Refoam, baby!
118ba2b68f31aec23f0f8ab4596d2014.jpg

Esteem points to anyone who can identify the art (some is more identifiable than others)

Edit 6/17/17: This links to what may be the final incarnation of my rig -- http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....rrangement-photos.670989/page-8#post-10633096 [click for Altec and SET]

Last edited:
Here's an update, it's been 6 months...

A number of power amps have rotated in and out, I've just finished refurbing a Dynaco Stereo 70 with a VTA board. I'm in love with it. A pair of JBL 4311b monitors were subbed in and then back out in favor of the infinities. I'm running a DIY preamp consisting of one op amp gain stage and an ALPS blue potentiometer. Raspberry Pi is running Rune Audio and streaming FLAC to DAC through the home NAS drive

I've got an AT120e cart in the mail, and I sense that a tube phono preamp build will be the next change...
image.jpegimage.jpeg

I like it. How're those yamahas working out?
Thanks! The Yamaha's got a long dedicated listen at the beginning of the week. Then I subbed the infinity's back in for comparison's sake. The Infinities sound remarkably more open and natural, significantly more engaging.

So... The Yamaha's are up locally and I'll see what kind of new gear they bring in haha

Thanks everyone!

Very nice system. How did you like the NAD amp?
The NAD is a wonderful integrated. I was just thinking the other day about how that amp did everything right. I do prefer my Dynaco, but the NAD is a great amp.

To put it in perspective, while I've flipped a handful of amps (Adcom, JBL, MCS), the NAD has been kept.

Hauled out the Yams again last night. After my first listening session with them, they wore me out a bit and I felt the midrange had a bit of "shout", but it really illustrated how laid back the infinity ref Five's are. After plugging the yamahas back in, I immediately noticed more detail and resolution, but at the cost of more listening fatigue.

So I tried a few lpad adjustments in an attempt to tune the monitors to the room. With the tweeters at -1 and the mids at -1.5, I'm getting the bass presence I'd hoped for with immaculate mids and vocal reproduction. My wife noticed a huge difference. The infinities sit very well in a room, and you can talk over them even at relatively high volumes, but the Yamaha's really center in on central human speech frequencies. That being said, for the time being ill probably be using the Yamaha's for most of my critical listening but certainly keeping the Infinities as well. Now to make some stands for these 60 lb monsters...
image.jpeg

Nice setup! What did you do with the Dogfish Head RSD poster? I have the same one hanging in the bar area of our basement.

Nice setup! What did you do with the Dogfish Head RSD poster? I have the same one hanging in the bar area of our basement.
It's now above tv with a little Bowie picture. Mark Spusta did that flyer, he's the same guy that has done all of the recent dinosaur Jr. and j mascis stuff

EDIT thanks for the compliment, how rude of me to forget :)

Birthday is around this time of year. My wife asked what I'd like for my birthday - I asked if we could watch Craigs for something fun. Well today my birthday gift was listed:
image.jpeg

Magnepan!
They are the MG1c models. Wasn't sure if my favorite Dynaco would be able to stand up to the Maggie load, but lo and behold, the roughly 35 watts sound just fine. I'll be borrowing a high wattage QSC over the weekend, but tonight I haven't been over half on the dial. My suspicion is that I would give up depth for volume.

At any rate, I am in love. These speakers are deep and easy to listen to, incredible separation, great vocal resolution. I always suspected I would enjoy Magnepans.

Back
Top Bottom